SASS Wire Forum

Indy 500

Cypress Sun

Anyone going to watch the Indy 500? 

I've watched racing all of my life. The Indy 500 takes more cojones to drive than any other race the way I see it. Even though I have no idea who half of these drivers are, I wish them all luck and a safe race.

Have it on right now.

My wife used to watch it with her father -- every year, without exception.

I've driven police pursuit and had moments where I thought I'd be white haired before the pursuit ended ... but none, NONE of that compares to what these fellows do on the Brickyard!
(As an aside -- I'm from Athens County -- Nelsonville, in that county, produced the bricks with which it was paved.  A strip of bricks remain exposed, and I am told they are turned so NELSONVILLE BRICK can be read. Can't say they are, never been there!)

SPOILER ALERT.

Not a bad race. Kind of boring for the first 100 but picked up well after that. Good to see the "old bull" teach the kids some lessons on winning the race and how to be a winner after the race. I think I liked the post race better than the race.

Congrats Helio.

I thought it was pretty danged astonishing in Lap 119 when the left rear wheel flew off Graham Rahal's No. 15 Honda car.

Wonderin' if someone from the pit crew might be lookin' for a new job...  :huh:

1 minute ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I thought it was pretty danged astonishing in Lap 119 when the left rear wheel flew off Graham Rahal's No. 15 Honda car.

Wonderin' if someone from the pit crew might be lookin' for a new job...  :huh:

That reminded me of the Alex Zanardi crash in Japan right after 911. He came out of the pits and spun just like that in front of cars that were doing 200. He wasn't as lucky....he lost both legs when he was hit broadside. If it hadn't been for Dr. Jerry Punch, he would have died right there on the track.

19 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

If the wheel wouldn't have come off Rahal's car Helio would not have won his fourth Indy.  My son-in-law tells me Rahal was two laps in front.

Yep, someone is looking for a new job!

Do Do happens!

16 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

If the wheel wouldn't have come off Rahal's car Helio would not have won his fourth Indy.  My son-in-law tells me Rahal was two laps in front.

Yep, someone is looking for a new job!

Hmmmm....  Mebbe not... mebbe not...  :huh:

I just found this:

In the video, you can see Rahal's car drop down off its air jacks after three out of the four tire changers finish up their work within the span of about two seconds; meanwhile, the inside rear man is still frantically trying to tighten the nut on his wheel. The obstructed view makes it tough to tell exactly what's going on or what caused the crew to be out of sync—but another thing the replay shows is that the chief mechanic (the outside front tire changer) never gave Rahal the signal to go once the car hit the ground. He stands there as Rahal peels out, hand outstretched like he's very surprised there's no longer a car stopped in front of him.

Looks like ol' Graham may have been a mite overly anxious.  :(

In the hospital, after a "sentinel event" we would have a group sit down.  Everybody.  Check the egos at the door.  Not to assign blame, but to find out step-by-step, what happened and how to ensure that it never happened again.  

Archived