SASS Wire Forum

Serving size

The thread on meat eating vs. weed eating reminded me of something.  You hear these ads all the time that this wonder pill contains ten servings of fruit and twelve servings of vegetables.  Who eats ten apples at a time or a tub of salad at one time?  What is a serving?  If you look on a bag of potato chips it says in teeny, tiny print on the back that a serving is "three crisps."  Who the heck eats three potato chips?  If it is in a bag that bag is a serving.  When I buy Double Stuff Golden Oreos I unscrew the tops off two and screw them together to make one quadruple stuff oreo.  One bag = one serving.

51iJinHz9ZL.jpg

One time when I bought a bag of Corn Nuts, I think it was the 7 oz. bag, for some strange reason I read the nutritional information (WHY bother with snack food? although Corn Nuts may possibly be an essential food group) and saw that it had the "serving size 1 oz." nutrition information and along side it the information for the entire bag.  Finally nutrition information that made sense.

What gets me on the "serving size" is "Servings per can: 3 1/3" or other such idiocy.  Really?  A third of a serving?  

3 servings (300% of a serving) is an RACC cutoff point for FDA labeling requirements. More than three servings in a package reduces labeling requirements.

A serving is supposed to be the amount a typical person does eat, not what they "should" eat. This regulation came about from gaming of labels. For instance, one serving of a soda is now 12 ounces (a can), not 8 ounces. A can of soda is not really 1.5 servings.

If the product cited above had 3 servings, then there would have to be an additional column for the nutrition totals in the entire package. With more than 3, the package total is not required.

You can thank weak minded corporate types and in a way Michelle Obama for some of these idiotic serving sizes and packaging silliness. 

I am not one for government controls on things but I do believe there should be a “non-stupidity regulation” on food packaging and nutritional information.

I also believe there should be a standard packing requirement. Regulated weights and measures. This BS of buying something only to find out your 16 Oz package is now 14.5 Oz at the same price is ridiculous.  

One serving of ice cream.  You just have to make sure you have enough chocolate syrup and whip cream to get to the bottom.  PITA to have to run to the store when you are only half done.

960046898.jpeg

Years ago I read an article about serving sizes. The takeaway is that it’s really arbitrary. What also remember is that a serving of cashews is 17 nuts. I can eat about 25 servings at a sitting. 

Another item was FDA minimum requirements. The minimum vitamin C requirement is based on the amount that’s just enough to prevent scurvy.  

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You can thank weak minded corporate types and in a way Michelle Obama for some of these idiotic serving sizes and packaging silliness. 

I am not one for government controls on things but I do believe there should be a “non-stupidity regulation” on food packaging and nutritional information.

I also believe there should be a standard packing requirement. Regulated weights and measures. This BS of buying something only to find out your 16 Oz package is now 14.5 Oz at the same price is ridiculous.  

I just don’t see the government getting any non-stupidity regulations right. They are all about stupidity 

Howdy,

I have long thought we need one more branch of gummint.

The branch that gets RID of laws and regulations.

The supreme court is sort of like this but way too slow.

Just hands off the constitution and the bill of rights.

Best

CR

Archived