SASS Wire Forum

Went shooting today.

First time in over five years and with a Rossi .22 pump action rifle that I bought nearly forty years ago and haven't put  box ammo through it until today.

20-35 mph winds, temperatures in the high forties making my entire body shake, an unfamiliar gun, and a new range with new rules and procedures.

25 yards at nine inch paper plates.  First two shots didn't hit the targets, but all the rest did.

Shooting five shot strings, my worst group was about seven inches, my best was three and a half inches, and It averaged for all forty eight round that hit the target at six.

Not as bad as I had expected.  Now that I've broken the ice and warmer weather is coming, I'll get better.

What Wind ?????  Around Here A Breeze starts at 20 Mph ,,,, Wind starts at 40 Mph. ,,,,, A strong Wind starts at 65 MPH .... 

Jabez Cowboy

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Is the the Winchester 62 clone?   :)

I was thinking it was clone of the 1906, but I've been wrong before.  Little bugger is so unused that it wasn't / isn't even broken in yet.

What time did you go shooting? It was 44 when I took the dogs out around 6:30am.

Left home about 8:45am and it was already 55! 

Went north up towards Walnut Creek and it got in the high 60"s by noon.

It was 69 when when I got home about 2:30pm.

38 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I was thinking it was clone of the 1906, but I've been wrong before.  Little bugger is so unused that it wasn't / isn't even broken in yet.

Sweet li'l rifle!  ^_^

Mechanically, the 1890, 1906, and 62 are darned near identical, although the earlier models were initially chambered for .22 short only.

Sassparilla Kid has an 1890, "donated" to him by a retired CHP officer when he was eight to get 'im started in Cowboy Shooting.  Super ugly, it had literally been painted probably 75 years earlier with some thick, waxy, silver-ish something.  We cleaned it up, and other than really tired wood, it was just fine... some patina, but the internals were actually like new and the rifling crisp. 

For his eighth grade graduation I gave him my like-new 1952 vintage 62.  Since then I've been on the lookout for a Rossi or Taurus.  A bunch of years ago Eve Nenjoy of the Kings River Regulators bought her then 80-something year old mom a stainless Taurus 62.  Even with the funky "lawyer safety," it was reeeally nice!  :)

Enjoy the heck outta that thing, Forty~!!  :D

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

More praise for the Rossi .22 pump:

Rossi Rifle Review - YouTube

And the sequence was opened with a Model 8 Remington semi-auto like the one I got from my dad who bought it used in 1931. Mine is im .35 Remington and It looks like the one in the pic is, too.

That will probably be the next one to go to the range, but I'll wait until the conditions are better.

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Not very nice to tease us housebound inmates of the North.

DSCF0017.JPG

Is that camper camouflage powder?

50 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Left to right.  Why?

You said it was windy. Winds tend to gust affecting group size especially with light bullets. It is possible the groups would be better on a calm day or a tail wind.

just guessing really

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Is that camper camouflage powder?

It's a frozen water concoction we experience up here.

We call it snow and shipped a sh........a lot of it down as far as Texas this year.

Just to show how we like to share!!

29 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

It's a frozen water concoction we experience up here.

We call it snow and shipped a sh........a lot of it down as far as Texas this year.

Just to show how we like to share!!

Didn’t send any to Mexico?

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

You said it was windy. Winds tend to gust affecting group size especially with light bullets. It is possible the groups would be better on a calm day or a tail wind.

just guessing really

Mighty good guess.  :D 

Between shivering from the chill, the winds, and not sleeping very well, I was back to where I was when I was ten years old.  Next foray will be after it warms up and on a calmer day.  It will also include my Remington Model 8 because it's been a few years since I shot it last.

21 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

What Wind ?????  Around Here A Breeze starts at 20 Mph ,,,, Wind starts at 40 Mph. ,,,,, A strong Wind starts at 65 MPH .... 

Jabez Cowboy

Jab, you're starting to sound like a Texan.  :lol:

They had a Wind speed monitoring  sign in the pass along Highway #3 it was mounted on two 10 inch aluminum "I " beam facing west into the Pass between B.C. and Alberta and one day driving by I noticed it was snapped of it's Base and lying in the ditch displaying a speed reading of 160 KMH ... About 100 miles per hour Yankee Terms ... 

Now it is back up on three "I" beam posts hope it doesn't snap of again .....

Jabez Cowboy   

Archived