SASS Wire Forum

Food For Thought

Subdeacon Joe

How many of us can honestly deny that one of these hasn't applied to us?

How many times have you been at the range and looked down your nose at somebody shooting a HiPoint or Jennings? How many times have you silently thought “idiot” when someone fumbles with their gun? How many times have you looked askance at shooters using the “wrong” grip? I know I do all of those things almost every time I’m at a public shooting range…but I won’t do it anymore. What if those “idiots” are really just people like this woman…inexperienced, poor, and without anyone to teach them how to do things right? By the luck of the draw, this woman pulled up a chair next to a professional firearms instructor at the range. She could have just as easily sat next to “Bubba” who will tell her that her gun is a piece of garbage and that there’s no way she could ever learn to defend herself in an hour.

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/an-interesting-experience-at-the-shooting-range?fbclid=IwAR2hyk7x785I9Z7acj8OZB0nfs7C4ADCXcGfO0T46q3DvYuCo7dwPhAyOiQ

Bless him for taking the time and making the effort to help her.  I pray she didn't have to use the gun as she feared and that she will be able to save up for more trips to the range and eventually a better gun.

At a rifle/pistol range I tend to mind my own business.  It seems presumptuous, if not rude, to walk into another persons booth and tell them they're doing "it" wrong.  If asked, I'm happy to help.  If shooting skeet, and it appears another shooter could use some advice, I'll offer my help.  If they decline I'll go back to minding my own business.  I'd like to think that in a situation described in the story, while sitting and waiting for a shooting lane, I'd offer some help.

Angus

p.s.  If I see them doing something downright dangerous I'd mention it to them or bring it to the attention of the Range Master.

21 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

At a rifle/pistol range I tend to mind my own business

As do I.   But I  think the authors point is that,  outside of safety issues,  so many of us make judgments if we see someone with what we consider a POS,  or holding a firearm  an odd way. 

I've worked in a number of gun stores and sold a LOT of "It's all I can afford guns".

I'v e also made some enemies when some Macho dude comes in with his totally inexperienced lady and wants her to get the latest "gee whiz" gun.  (one guy thought his hundred pound five foot girlfriend should get a .50 Desert Eagle.)  I'd tell the guys to go get a piece of pie and an hour's worth of coffee.  Many thanked me later, but a lot felt I had tried to override their position and complained to the management, but it never cost me a word from the boss.  A couple came in later and traded in their gun for something a lot more practical.

I always tried to suit the gun to the shooter and had great success with the ladies.  I sold a ton of 4" .38 specials, S&W, Colt, Rossi, and a host of other revolvers.  My kids both got Rossis and my wife carried a Taurus and a Charter Arms at various times.

I had a gruff, cranky, intolerant, huge, scary-looking friend who was a genius at training new shooters.  The women would come back for refresher courses because he told them they needed to do that.  He charged them a home made sandwich and a Coke for the training and threw in a box of ammo out of his own pocket.

He died and I truly hope he died knowing what a positive influence had made on so many.

HELL!! I’ve owned some pretty sketchy guns!!

I try, (I will admit I sometimes don’t try very hard) to accept that others don’t know better. 

I may be or seem condescending at times when I take someone or something to task for failure in judgment or for doing things that are blatantly wrong, but I feel that those responses are earned and or deserved!!

As anyone who knows me can tell you, I hold myself to the same standards as I do others and I am usually harder on myself than on others, sometimes even more loudly and more derisively!!  I spent too much of my life scratching a broke @$$ to make fun or light of anyone trying to do the best they can!!

In my mind guns are like cars: they don't have to be pretty but they should work right every time. 

We can't all afford the best, you get what you can afford and learn its limitations. If you're lucky you find somebody to point you the right direction. If not you have to figure it out.

Those kids are lucky to have a mom that'll do what needs to be done to tka e care of em. 

As far as guns go if it goes bang every time you pull the trigger itll serve its purpose. im not going to look at the brand if its pointed at me. The gun you have when you need it is the best gun in the world.

What a great guy, kudos to him for helping that lady out! From the looks of her target I think her kids and her house will be just fine!

Archived