SASS Wire Forum

Gaudalcanal Diary

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I just finished reading Richard Tregaskis' book for the fourth time since I was thirteen years old.  He was  combat correspondent for INS when the news was really honest news...and the book is as great now a it was then.  If you have never read it, I encourage you to do so.  If you have read it, read it again.  He was there in the midst of it, not like so many newsmen during the 'Nam debacle who wrote the "news" from some Saigon officers club or a fancy hotel bar.

The stories of that war in the Pacific, as well as the stories about other battles during the war all over the world, are as inspiring as nay you can find and prove that these people truly were The Greatest Generation.

Very few are left.  If you know of any, go see them and shake their hands.  Tell them thanks.

10 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I just finished reading Richard Tregaskis' book for the fourth time since I was thirteen years old.  He was  combat correspondent for INS when the news was really honest news...and the book is as great now a it was then.  If you have never read it, I encourage you to do so.  If you have read it, read it again.  He was there in the midst of it, not like so many newsmen during the 'Nam debacle who wrote the "news" from some Saigon officers club or a fancy hotel bar.

The stories of that war in the Pacific, as well as the stories about other battles during the war all over the world, are as inspiring as nay you can find and prove that these people truly were The Greatest Generation.

Very few are left.  If you know of any, go see them and shake their hands.  Tell them thanks.

You got that all correct, Sir

50 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

He also wrote a "Viet Nam Diary".

My Godfather was a surgeon on Guadalcanal. My dad was the Gunnery Officer on a destroyer that was hit by three kamikazis. My brothers and I hid under the dining room table during my Dad's ship reunions. After a few drinks, we got an earful!  WOW!!!

12 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

My Godfather was a surgeon on Guadalcanal. My dad was the Gunnery Officer on a destroyer that was hit by three kamikazis. My brothers and I hid under the dining room table during my Dad's ship reunions. After a few drinks, we got an earful!  WOW!!!

I'll bet you did. 

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

My favorite book while growing up was The Cactus Air Force by Thomas G. Miller, which was about the Navy and Marine flyers on Henderson Field during the Guadalcanal campaign. If there ever was a book that needed to be made into a movie that was it.

Roger, that!  I met an Army pilot who flew both P-39/400's on the 'Canal, and IIRC was a squadron commander later when the P-38's replaced them.  He was over 100 years old when he "Slipped the surly bonds of Earth". :FlagAm:

19 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I was about that same age when I first read that great book 

Sept 27 1942 SM1 Douglas Munro , The only USCG MOH recipient was killed there off of point cruz while assisting the marines evacuate while in command of  his higgins boat.

Archived