SASS Wire Forum

Lets see some dogs

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Never ever let a dog’s owner hold it while you’re working on them . Sure fire way to get bit. 

When we had a dog the Vet always made me hold him for his shots. Never with a blanket, always just the pup. The Vet was never bitten while I was holding the pup. Much of it has to do with the trust and comfort the dog has with the you. I started him from a puppy to know that I was in charge but he was always safe in my hands. A good member of the family for 14 years. My wife and I sat with him to the end. If they are family they deserve to be cared for right to the end.

CJ

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I once took my dog to a veterinarian who insisted that Dalmatians we’re dangerous and insisted on a muzzle.

I told him he was an idiot and took my buddy elsewhere!

Anothe vet, on another occasion, insisted that her helpers hold that same dog while she administered an injection. I explained that any two of her helpers couldn’t hold him, but that I would hold him because he trusted me.  She asked how I could hold him when her helpers couldn’t.

I explained that he was trained as a personal protection and home defense dog and that he wouldn’t tolerate someone else trying to restrain him.

I sat beside the dog and placed my hand on his back. The vet gave him his shot and Harley didn’t even flinch!

That lady was his vet from then until she retired.  Said she’d never seen a dog that could be so vicious if he was on the job and so docile when he was “off duty”!

I handle my dogs unless they’re tranquilized.  I’ll be there when they go to sleep and there when they wake up!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Never ever let a dog’s owner hold it while you’re working on them . Sure fire way to get bit. 

lol, tell that to my vet, I'm always the one closest to the teeth.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/13/2024 at 9:52 PM, Cactus Jack Calder said:

When we had a dog the Vet always made me hold him for his shots. Never with a blanket, always just the pup. The Vet was never bitten while I was holding the pup. Much of it has to do with the trust and comfort the dog has with the you. I started him from a puppy to know that I was in charge but he was always safe in my hands. A good member of the family for 14 years. My wife and I sat with him to the end. If they are family they deserve to be cared for right to the end.

CJ

On 5/13/2024 at 10:23 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

I once took my dog to a veterinarian who insisted that Dalmatians we’re dangerous and insisted on a muzzle.

I told him he was an idiot and took my buddy elsewhere!

Anothe vet, on another occasion, insisted that her helpers hold that same dog while she administered an injection. I explained that any two of her helpers couldn’t hold him, but that I would hold him because he trusted me.  She asked how I could hold him when her helpers couldn’t.

I explained that he was trained as a personal protection and home defense dog and that he wouldn’t tolerate someone else trying to restrain him.

I sat beside the dog and placed my hand on his back. The vet gave him his shot and Harley didn’t even flinch!

That lady was his vet from then until she retired.  Said she’d never seen a dog that could be so vicious if he was on the job and so docile when he was “off duty”!

I handle my dogs unless they’re tranquilized.  I’ll be there when they go to sleep and there when they wake up!

18 hours ago, Chantry said:

lol, tell that to my vet, I'm always the one closest to the teeth.

There are exceptions; but in the 50 plus years my late wife groomed dogs she was only bitten twice. Both times it was because the owner didn't want their dog sedated and insisted that they could restrain their dog.

First time was before we were married. Second time was after we were married and she was working for someone and despite here better judgment she was overridden by the owner of the shop. 

Dog got her right thumb. ( Single deep puncture wound ) and within 2 hours she had dark streaks all the way to her armpit. Flying trip to the ER where they shot her up some super expensive antibiotics. Dr. said that if they didn't show signs of stopping the infection within the next hour they would amputate her thumb. He also stated that there was a strong possibly that she may loose her hand.

I know they were super expensive because the insurance didn't want to pay for them. We had a protracted discussion that finally ended when I asked the adjuster sitting across the desk from me if she liked here thumb because I was going to cut it off.  She got all indignant and a little scared. Then I said that is how my wife felt about her thumb and she didn't ask how much it would cost to save her thumb, she just didn't want to loose it. I never got another bill after that.

When we were dating I used to help out in her shop. I was amazed to see how the personalities of the dogs changed after their owners left the shop. Dogs that she could have never picked up with their owner nearby, would become docile and easy to handle once their owner was out of sight and sound. 

Yes there are exceptions; but 99.9999% of all dog owners don't have a clue how to properly restrain their dog.

BTW I have never left ANY of my 4 legged children alone when that day arrived.

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 2

All my dogs have been "good" except one that the vet said had a brain tumor.  Since dogs "read" off their owners, with the exception of the times they have had to be put down, when I always stay with them, I leave them in the hands of the vet and staff.  Without exception that practice has worked well for all concerned.

I am convinced that dogs can count. At least mine does.

I would make "sandwiches". Nuke four tortillas for about 30 seconds. This gets them nice and warm and flexible. Lay one down, then lay a slice of sandwich cheese on it, where it immediately starts to melt into the hot tortilla. On top of that lay a slice of lunch meat. I normally use smoked turkey. Now roll this up like a cigar. Make three more. This is four tortillas, four pieces of meat, and four slices of cheese. Basically two sandwiches.

And then I would eat these, while the dog sat there and stared at me. And the last half inch of my little tortilla cigar I would give to her.

One day I was not thinking, and I ate all of the first tortilla cigar. The shocked look on her face. I apologized, and gave her half of the second one. Then I gave her her half inch share of numbers three and four. And she kept staring at me. Accusingly.

I told her that she would normally get one half inch four times, which made 2 inches of sandwich. And because I gave her half of number two, she got three inches of that one plus her normal half inch of numbers three and four, for a total of 4 inches of sandwich. So she actually got more food.

And she says to me, she says, "Don't try to lay that line of BS on me. You gave me a share of three of them, and you are supposed to give me a share of all four of them. You owe me another bite!"

And I could not convince her that she was wrong. It did not matter that, by net weight, she got more food. She only got three bites, and she was supposed to get four.

Damn dog.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Chantry said:

image.jpeg

The Boobie had such a pitiful look when she didn’t get a bite of whatever we were eating!

IMG_0500.jpeg

• Like 1