SASS Wire Forum

Anybody else have a Lightbulb stash

I recently had to downsize. Left behind stuff that meant little or would not help later. Spent one morning walking around and collecting lightbulbs.  OMG, there were many. So in the new place I have a crate full of lightbulbs, and Have yet to buy one. First thing I did was replace a bunch of low power lights and have since replaced a half dozen that failed. I still have thutty fawty more before I need to buy one. Some are (dare I admit) incandescent.

fess up pards, do you have a stash?  Unless it is illegal in your jurisdiction to own such, then you tell us about your cousins’ stash.

53 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I recently had to downsize. Left behind stuff that meant little or would not help later. Spent one morning walking around and collecting lightbulbs.  OMG, there were many. So in the new place I have a crate full of lightbulbs, and Have yet to buy one. First thing I did was replace a bunch of low power lights and have since replaced a half dozen that failed. I still have thutty fawty more before I need to buy one. Some are (dare I admit) incandescent.

fess up pards, do you have a stash?  Unless it is illegal in your jurisdiction to own such, then you tell us about your cousins’ stash.

Yep.  Lots of sizes.  Mostly LEDs now (including some 4' and 8' LED tubes) but a few old incandescents for around the mirrors in the bathrooms and some small lamps that don't take standard size bases.

Yes, I have about 2 dozen “spare” 60watt incandescent bulbs, and lesser quantities of other wattage bulbs. I bought up a good supply of extra, various wattage incandescent bulbs.

I just don’t care for the “energy-saver” bulbs’ light output, and the fact that they fail (burn out) much faster than incandescent bulbs.

Cat Brules

For the house -- I've got a number of old incandescents around, some from stashing when they were outlawed, some from replacing hard-to-reach bulbs with newer longer-lasting bubs while I had the ladder out and was in the vicinity, and some from replacing all the bulbs in a set when one burned out (over the bathroom vanity or kitchen counter for example). I've also got some CFLs and LEDs that I picked up on sale, or got as a spare for a set (bathroom/kitchen, again). Used bulbs get put into table and floor lamps that are easy to reach.

I've also got a stash of car bulbs; when a bulb in the car burns out, I generally replace the same bulb on the other side of the car at the same time. Instead of tossing the still-working one, I hang onto it for a spare.

Yes, in two categories:  new; and, used (but not burned out).  The used bulbs are a category that did not exist until I got married.  

The rule is:  if you have a fixture that holds more than 1 bulb and one burns out, you replace all of them, and keep the existing used, but not burned out bulbs as spares.

I have about 3 dozen mixed old kinds and the newer LED ones.

When we bought this house, nearly all of the bulbs in it were burned out.  Uno said there were only two working bulbs in the whole house.  Being the thrifty person he is, he purchased LEDs in quantity on line.  Not only do we have leftovers from the quantity buy, we have the stash of bulbs that had been in the house we moved from.  We have more bulbs than we have fixtures. 

No! :(  I'm running low of 60w or equivalent bulbs.  Found a few LED's which are okay.  Have one or two other types, which are hard on the eyes.  May have to see about ordering some from some hardware store and having them delivered.  Similar situation with printer/copier paper.  Down to one ream.  Will probably order a carton from Office Max/Office Supply, along with printer color laser toner.  Just got through ordering enough meds to last 60-90 days and I could have bought a new repeating rifle for what that cost because I have to have brand-name rather than generic!  Insurance won't pay for the former! :angry:  The one thing we are NOT short of is toilet paper.  Bought a case about a month ago, and have only used about half.

Stay well, Pards!

Archived