SASS Wire Forum

We had a visitor today

7 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I see it.   My guess is that its a Black Rat kind.  

All it wants to do is hug someone..... :o

..........Widder

You got it.  Black, with white underside, about five feet long when straightened out.  I had never seen this variety before, and we have at least two of them in residence.  At least they keep the mice and copperheads under control.  They are not aggressive towards us or the dog, and add a little character to the place. 

Plus, the garden club and the Herb Society no longer meet here.

JDuffield

Howdy Duffield.

They hang around hear also and I try to keep them out of the basement cause I don't like those surprises

when picking up something and there lays ole Lucky.   I name em Lucky cause I found it before the Bunkhouse Boss

did..... ;)

We use to have a lot of corn snakes also, but I ain't seen one of them in a few years.

..........Widder

I admire you for finding/building a house with a front porch like that.

Yea, yea.  Everybody says that black snakes are good and to leave them alone.  They are our friends and do good things.  And then I remember the black mamba that escaped during an illegal sale.  That black mamba is still out there somewhere.  Just sayin'..........

https://www.news4jax.com/news/2011/11/24/poisonous-snake-bite-prompts-investigation/

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Yea, yea.  Everybody says that black snakes are good and to leave them alone.  They are our friends and do good things.  And then I remember the black mamba that escaped during an illegal sale.  That black mamba is still out there somewhere.  Just sayin'..........

https://www.news4jax.com/news/2011/11/24/poisonous-snake-bite-prompts-investigation/

You might note that Black Mambas are not actually black but brownish gray. The name comes from the inner lining of their mouth. Kind of a reverse Cottonmouth.

So, in general, Black snakes are not a problem. 

10 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

You might note that Black Mambas are not actually black but brownish gray. The name comes from the inner lining of their mouth. Kind of a reverse Cottonmouth.

So, in general, Black snakes are not a problem. 

Yep!

She said “Oh, I just the fancy iron work on that chair.”

The other one says “Oh yes, I love that one is unique from the other...who made these for you?”

Another says “What’s the name of that artist that likes to make each metal piece of art a little different from the other?”

The first one says “I know who you mean...he’s the latest rage on the Inane Things Network.”

The second one says “I am not so sure the snake design is for me. I would love to have...”

Snake Moves

Three women squeal and head for the car. 

Duffield smiles at his new best friend while sipping on a cool lemonade. 
“Hey babe, I am headed to the pet store to pick up something for my buddy. See you in an hour.”

:lol:

4 hours ago, South-Eye Ned said:

I admire you for finding/building a house with a front porch like that.

You should see the view from it, and it faces East so we can sit in the shade in the afternoon.

We intend to make it wider next year so that we can have dinner with our friends out there/.

Had one swing by my Dad's house Wednesday while he was at a doctor's appointment.  When I got him home from the appointment, it was trying to climb the steps to get onto the porch.

A few whacks with a 1x2 and a little choppy- choppy with the nose of a shovel took care of him before I flipped what was left deep into the bushes.

See Snake.

Kill Snake.

Good Snake!

When I lived in NY State, upcountry from THE CITY. I came home from work one day and my wife told me, “You need to go talk to our neighbor out back.” Patrick was a native of Ireland who emigrated  here in his middle years. As I walked over to talk to him, Patrick said “I think I killed a Rattlesnake.” On the ground he showed me  a dozen 1” long pieces of a small (3/8” diameter?) Garter Snake that he had chopped up with a spade. It was all I could do to keep from roaring with laughter in front of his serious concern for the safety of the neighborhood.  I assured Patrick that while the snake was surely dead it had posed no threat of poisoning the local children. He was a good sport about the situation, as he said “I’ve had no experience with snakes back home.” 

Archived