SASS Wire Forum

Savage 110 223 conversion to 6.5 Creedmore ??

I shot a Davage 110 Tactical in .223 (before Savage made shorter receivers) in CMP matches in the 1990s.  Very good gun for out to 300 yards.

My understanding of the 6.5 Creedmore is that it is better for longer ranges, out to 1000 yards.

I could justify having both.

I do not own a Savage but in looking at the dimensions of the 2 rounds (.223 Remington on top) and the max pressure differences:

.223 Remington = 55,000 psi

6.5 Creedmore = 63,000 psi

I would be asking Savage, not us. If the receiver of the .223 gun is maxed out on the pressure it can withstand adding 8,000 psi might be a problem. Even if the outside bolt dimensions are the same you would still need to know if the receiver will handle the pressure. 

BUT, I do agree with @Cusz M. Dutch SASS Life 55326

Buying another gun is probably the way to go. 

0B2F23A8-794E-4751-98E7-66655A5AAF00.jpeg.68a69bf576032d6421016089e202c0e0.jpeg

8C065F06-0732-4CEF-8F24-ED1E56883842.jpeg.bb992652a111336bae939af07a02d9ff.jpeg

10 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Bbl life with the 6.5C is less that 1/2 of a .308.

The 6.5C is a throat-burner.

OLG 

Hi, are you sure ? I have been shooting a Creedmoor for a while. I bought mine before it was popular. I have not found that the case, regards,  Mike

4 minutes ago, Johnson County Mike said:

Hi, are you sure ? I have been shooting a Creedmoor for a while. I bought mine before it was popular. I have not found that the case, regards,  Mike

What's the round count for your bbl?

The folks I've shot with in long range events say they are lucky to get 2700 rnds from a std 6.5C bbl.

Many have found that Nitrate (sp) coating the bore and chamber really helps with bbl live in this caliber. 

OLG 

30 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What's the round count for your bbl?

The folks I've shot with in long range events say they are lucky to get 2700 rnds from a std 6.5C bbl.

Many have found that Nitrate (sp) coating the bore and chamber really helps with bbl live in this caliber. 

OLG 

Hi, I have under 1K. I have two friends at my club that have barrel scopes; one with a TV monitor. They say my barrels look good. I reload and find that the lighter loads using H4350  gives  me the best accuracy. I also routinely use a "Chamber Chiller" as to not heat up my barrel, too much. My newest 6.5 Creedmoor is a Tikka T3x Tac A1. After the AR 15 the 6.5 is the rifle I see the most at my club which has 1000 + members. I am involved with "Centerfire Benchrest" and  qualifying shooters  for our 500 meter range ; so I see a lot of  members rifles. Time will tell, regards, Mike

+ 1 on barrel life,  3000 to 4000 shows a lot of erosion.   But that it a long time for most of us.   You should not need a bolt, the button/ breech face is easily replaced and cheap besides.     Ballistics are fabulous       GW

1 hour ago, Johnson County Mike said:

Hi, I have under 1K. I have two friends at my club that have barrel scopes; one with a TV monitor. They say my barrels look good. I reload and find that the lighter loads using H4350  gives  me the best accuracy. I also routinely use a "Chamber Chiller" as to not heat up my barrel, too much. My newest 6.5 Creedmoor is a Tikka T3x Tac A1. After the AR 15 the 6.5 is the rifle I see the most at my club which has 1000 + members. I am involved with "Centerfire Benchrest" and  qualifying shooters  for our 500 meter range ; so I see a lot of  members rifles. Time will tell, regards, Mike

How long did it take for you to have that rnd count?

Many serious competitors(I was one, long ago)run 1500-2k rnds a year.

OLG 

6 hours ago, Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905 said:

Is this conversion possible with only a new barrel and bolt ?  It would be a single shot so no mag problems.  It is a long action receiver so it would handle the longer cartridge. 

Just curious to see if this is reasonably possible.  Thanks 

Yes, all you need is a new barrel and new bolt, or bolt face.

Have you ever done a barrel swap on a Savage before?

I only ask because there are two barrel shank sizes for Savage rifles, small and large.  You need to know which you have to order the correct barrel.

Archived