SASS Wire Forum

Sad event in town

Trigger Mike

I took my son to the dumpster to get rid of the trash and then to the gun shop to get a battery for a feeder and look around.  On the way home I noticed some cars stopped and people running across the road and something laying in the center turn lane.  As I pulled beside it there was a little boy about 8 or 10 laying there.  He was twisted some and my son said his face was blank.  His mom kept rubbing his chest and repeatedly said,  "my baby, my baby" and yet had the presence of mind to warn her other children to stay away.  

I don't know what all happened but I feel sorry for her and am praying God will help her 

It sounds pretty terrible and grim.  

I hope the family has support.

CB

Seen that situation many a time.:(

This is why everyone should at the very least be trained in CPR. 

20 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

This is why everyone should at the very least be trained in CPR. 

Bob,  CPR training is not what it used to be.  I received CPR training annually at my job for 29 years. 

The first time I was trained, it included rescue breathing,  chest thumps, loosening ALL clothing items and two person CPR

Then the chest thump was removed from the training because people did not understand how to do it correctly (my EX- wife, a cardiac nurse, once restated a heart with a chest thump when a man had a heart attack at a restaurant we were attending).

Then loosening clothing was removed because people witnessing you could think you were doing it to expose a lady's chest.

Then two person CPR was no longer taught.

The last class I attended before I retired they had discontinued rescue breathing because of fear of AIDS.  At that time (2007) they were only teaching chest compressions, which could also move some air in and out of the lungs.

OK, if a heart has stopped beating the person is dead and anything you do will be an improvement.  But it seems to me that the modern way is less effective than what we were being taught in 1979.

Duffield

6 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Bob,  CPR training is not what it used to be.  I received CPR training annually at my job for 29 years. 

The first time I was trained, it included rescue breathing,  chest thumps, loosening ALL clothing items and two person CPR

Then the chest thump was removed from the training because people did not understand how to do it correctly (my EX- wife, a cardiac nurse, once restated a heart with a chest thump when a man had a heart attack at a restaurant we were attending).

Then loosening clothing was removed because people witnessing you could think you were doing it to expose a lady's chest.

Then two person CPR was no longer taught.

The last class I attended before I retired they had discontinued rescue breathing because of fear of AIDS.  At that time (2007) they were only teaching chest compressions, which could also move some air in and out of the lungs.

OK, if a heart has stopped beating the person is dead and anything you do will be an improvement.  But it seems to me that the modern way is less effective than what we were being taught in 1979.

Duffield

Duffield

Your point is correct, but we have defibrillators every where now (schools, shopping malls, etc.) and the EMT time response is amazing short in cities.

My prayers for the kid and family.

czhen

FL

Archived