SASS Wire Forum

American Derringer

Rye Miles #13621

I just picked up this American Derringer from a friend who has been selling some guns for pard of ours that died a few years ago. This thing is built really strong , the fit and finish is excellent. It has hardly been fired. The only problem is the hammer pull! Wow, it's stiff as all get out! I can't find anything on the internet to help in lightning this thing up. Before I start taking apart I wondered if anyone has any tips .

Thanks, Rye

Please don't tell me to sell it and get a Bond because I'm not! I got a really good deal on this!!

IMG_1710.jpg

10 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Ok, put it in the safe and go get a Bond to shoot :P

Nice find, I'm jealous. Hope you can find someone to help lighten it up.

I had a Bond and it was just as stiff as this! I sold it! The Bond is too big, I prefer the size of this. I'm not using it in any side matches because I don't go to them. I just want it a little bit lighter!

Very simple inside.  Remember your results may vary and may make the Derringer less " safe" for carrying by less experienced, but in my opinion, not for side matches.  IMO remove barrels first, grips second, drift pins from right to left to release trigger then hammer. There are two main springs inside that contribute to firing. The long hammer spring that sits vertically in the grip. Cut a coil at a time to reduce hammer pull back when cocking to your liking. Hammer still has plenty of punch on mine after 3 coils off. The second smaller spring sits in the trigger and against the frame. It is a very heavy short coil. I didn't cut this one but replaced with a retractable pen spring cut to length. Reduces trigger pull greatly. Didn't see the need to be dremeling or polishing anything up. Trigger sear was fine. 

3 minutes ago, Trooper Ozzy said:

Very simple inside.  Remember your results may vary and may make the Derringer less " safe" for carrying by less experienced, but in my opinion, not for side matches.  IMO remove barrels first, grips second, drift pins from right to left to release trigger then hammer. There are two main springs inside that contribute to firing. The long hammer spring that sits vertically in the grip. Cut a coil at a time to reduce hammer pull back when cocking to your liking. Hammer still has plenty of punch on mine after 3 coils off. The second smaller spring sits in the trigger and against the frame. It is a very heavy short coil. I didn't cut this one but replaced with a retractable pen spring cut to length. Reduces trigger pull greatly. Didn't see the need to be dremeling or polishing anything up. Trigger sear was fine. 

Thanks! Much obliged for the info!! ;)

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I just picked up this American Derringer from a friend who has been selling some guns for pard of ours that died a few years ago. This thing is built really strong , the fit and finish is excellent. It has hardly been fired. The only problem is the hammer pull! Wow, it's stiff as all get out! I can't find anything on the internet to help in lightning this thing up. Before I start taking apart I wondered if anyone has any tips .

Thanks, Rye

Please don't tell me to sell it and get a Bond because I'm not! I got a really good deal on this!!

IMG_1710.jpg

Nice score. I got one a couple years ago and love it. 

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

See if you can use a 1911 hammer spring in place of the OEM spring.

You may need to trim the 1911 spring down.

Can you post a picture with the grips removed?

OLG

Yes I will when I get to actually doing it. I got a busy few days ahead then I'm going to a 3 day shoot this weekend. This might be a winter project!:o

I have just like yours.  I sent it them and they did an action job and replaced the main spring.  I spoke to the lady that owns the company on her cell phone and she said that the older ones had Russian tank springs. They will give an estimate first.  They are located in Waco, TX.  Good luck Irish Pat

14 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Thanks, Rye

IMG_1710.jpg

Yea I got a tip for you. Quit being a wimp and start working out!

certainly a fine looking derringer that i would be proud of but i too would hope an easy fix to lighten the hammer could be found , ill not suggest buying another because i believe we should be able to fix such things 

hope you can get it fixed and im sorry but i know nothing of these - i do not have one , 

9 hours ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

Yea I got a tip for you. Quit being a wimp and start working out!

I gotta use a two hand grip to cock it!! I'm used to nice and easy Colts!!:P

I love my American Derringers.  (One of these is an original Remington.)  It’s not hard to reduce the spring tension by trimming a couple of coils off the mainspring.  A better solution is to find a coil spring with a smaller wire diameter.  Brownells sells a coil spring assortment where you could find one that would work.

4B24EE90-B30C-4DC8-9BA2-8251F8E3D238.jpeg

Archived