SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Make do

Fixing a jam

Question: If I am shooting gunfighter and one of the revolvers (cap and ball) has a cap drag requiring a second hand to rotate the cylinder how do I do that - can I stage one of the revolvers and use two hands to rotate the cylinder or am I out of luck?

You can safely stage one of the revolvers on an available table or prop and work on the other.  

• Like 1

I don't shoot gunfighter style very often, but I think you would be allowed to stage OR holster one revolver with the hammer down on a fired chamber, clear the jam (use one hand to rotate the cylinder while cocking the hammer with the other, and continue, either by completing the stage Double Duelist Style, or by re-drawing the holstered revolver and continuing to alternate shots until the revolvers are empty.

I wait for more knowledgable folks (Pale Wolf Brunnelle) to confirm or correct me.

Posted (edited)

You CAN safely stage a revolver with hammer down on spent cartridge / empty / fired chamber to clear the jammed revolver and then resume the shooting string without penalty.

Edited by Captain Clark
clarity

A Gunfighter may not holster revolvers with the intent to engage another revolver sequence.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J.S. Sooner, SASS #73526 said:

Shoot the other revolver till empty and holster, then you have two hands to deal with the issue.

Go for it!

Blackfoot:)

8 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

A Gunfighter may not holster revolvers with the intent to engage another revolver sequence.

Yeah I knew that.  I shouldn’t post late at night!  Thanks. 

4 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I shouldn’t post late at night!

me too.  I always forget to attach stuff or didn't think my reply/post through before hitting submit

15 hours ago, Make do said:

Question: If I am shooting gunfighter and one of the revolvers (cap and ball) has a cap drag requiring a second hand to rotate the cylinder how do I do that - can I stage one of the revolvers and use two hands to rotate the cylinder or am I out of luck?

You table, or ground, the gun that's in the second hand, making sure that the gun has been fired first.  You can't let a cocked loaded gun out of your hand.  Then you can clear your malfunction, or rotate the cylinder, of the first gun.   Better yet, just shoot that second gun dry and holster it.  The guns don't have to be shot alternately, left/right/left/right.