SASS Wire Forum

New US Army Dress Uniform

1 hour ago, J.D. Daily said:

Why would the Army go back to a cap that was commonly called a vulgar word for female genitalia?   Just asking for an increase in harassment claims.  STUPID!!

Says J.D. US Army 4/1/69 - 12/7/1971.

There are a lot of things in the military that had very socially unacceptable nicknames. The Navy and Marines still have that cap style and I’ve heard it called something else as well, mostly by old salts.

I don’t think it will much matter.

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Three for army.

marines navy and Coasties, four

Thanks Marshal, I kind of guessed at three. Considering his age and number of hash marks. The Canadian Army hash marks were for 5 years but, they stopped using them in 1978.  We now use the Canadian Decoration (CD) medal (It's one that you use the initials behind your name.  The CD is awarded after 12 years  service and a clasp for each ten years afterwards.  It would show as Sgt Thomas Jones, CD.  The CD, because it is  a decoration rather than a medal it comes before university degrees after your name.  ie: CD, BA, BSc.  If you were a war hero you could have VC, DFC, CD behind your name and you can still use them after you are discharged or retired.

The pattern and look was solved by 1945. This get up looks like it was designed and purchased at Walmart. The quality in tailoring and materials is highly evident when you compare the new bedsack uniform to photos or originals from the era it’s trying to mimic. These look like the belong in a cartoon not the military 

18 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There are a lot of things in the military that had very socially unacceptable nicknames. The Navy and Marines still have that cap style and I’ve heard it called something else as well, mostly by old salts.

I don’t think it will much matter.

Since when is "overseas cap" socially unacceptable? :rolleyes:

I liked the overseas caps that were pushed down front and back--like you see in the picture of Band of Brothers

Bandofbrothers1.jpg

having the Airbone Patch on it was always nice, too--berets are hot.

For some reason my 1SG was always on my tail when I did that.  He finally made SGM and we were both happy to see him reassigned.

3 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I liked the overseas caps that were pushed down front and back--like you see in the picture of Band of Brothers

Bandofbrothers1.jpg

having the Airbone Patch on it was always nice, too--berets are hot.

For some reason my 1SG was always on my tail when I did that.  He finally made SGM and we were both happy to see him reassigned.

The 1957 model garrison cap was too stiff to be pushed down enough. Always looked like a green envelope on my head. Fortunately I idn't have to wear it after I got my beret. I hope they go back to the WWII type. I looked through old pics and the only one I found of me wearing the overseas cap was in OCS at Ft Benning, where it was mandatory with Class As or Khakis. At graduation, everybody threw the caps into the air and donned their new (expensive) officer’s service caps. I always wondered what became off those abandoned caps on the auditorium floor. Probably ended up at Ranger Joe’s Surplus down in Columbus. :lol:

44 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

WhenI had to wear one.  Hated those things.

Personal preference, I guess.  I paid $45 for a Maury Lux "sewer lid" when I was commissioned in '65. Unless it was required, I preferred the Air Force version of the fore-and-aft cap.  Looked more like the "tiger-types", even though I wasn't a rated (flying) officer.  Of course, in my job, I most often wore a black baseball cap with my fatigues.  The advantage of the baseball cap, in cold weather, with the N3B parka, the bill kept the hood of the coat out of your eyes! During the warmer weather, when not wearing fatigues, I liked the 1505's (silver-tans), with the overseas cap.

Awkward to carry, hell to store in an office or warehouse, clumsy in a vehicle, uncomfortable, and not attractive at all.  I liked the p***cutter better and the fatigue / utility best of all......except for the boonie cap that we got in 'Nam.  I still have that one.

Lets be sure we have our terminology right.

The garrison cap is also known as the overseas cap, p### cutter ( Navy/USMC), c### cap (Army), wedge cap, side cap, flight cap (Air Force), pilotka (Russian), First issued to the Doughboys in WWI, it was officially called the Overseas Cap at that time. It wasn’t authorized for wear in the US until the 30s. It was a rough copy of the French cap.  I have a couple of them in my collection one was probably made in France. They differ in design from the cool WWII caps.

The Service cap is the one with the bill. Also called the saucer cap and other less complimentary terms. :P

Pic 1 - Me and Mom just before graduation. 67

Pic 2 - About an hour after achieving butter var status. Me in the service cap and my buddy Jeff in the garrison cap. Loading his car to drive over to start Jump School in 2 days.

0C0F0A63-18C3-4B33-8ED0-4F2D6590A2E9.jpeg

67A328B8-CAF3-4112-B0FA-048A35B4FF66.jpeg

To follow along with UB, here's a pic of me a day or so just after I became a brand new "wobbly one."  A couple of days prior I had been a Sergeant First Class (E-7) with over 3 years time in grade.  Not only did I now have a new set of dress uniforms, this was my first set of "blues." ^_^

GqNZhE.jpg

Since the Army is going back to the WWII dress greens, I wonder if the warrant officers will again be wearing the warrant officer "eagle rising" brass on their service hat?  ....probably not. :(

image.png.abb454edc30477411630c00c40c29ae0.png

7 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

To follow along with UB, here's a pic of me a day or so just after I became a brand new "wobbly one."  A couple of days prior I had been a Sergeant First Class (E-7) with over 3 years time in grade.  Not only did I now have a new set of dress uniforms, this was my first set of "blues." ^_^

GqNZhE.jpg

Since the Army is going back to the WWII dress greens, I wonder if the warrant officers will again be wearing the warrant officer "eagle rising" brass on their service hat?  ....probably not. :(

image.png.abb454edc30477411630c00c40c29ae0.png

Nope. They're not fiddling with the Branches. Just the window dressing. ;)

7 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

GqNZhE.jpg

Nice Library. :lol::lol:

Archived