SASS Wire Forum

My Grown Daughter Wants To Try SASS

Cholla

I went to my first NCOWS shoot of the season while my wife was out with my 26-year old daughter. I got back home about the same time as they did and had my gear laid out in the living room. My daughter started checking out my guns and decided she wanted to try them out. Two boxes of ammo later she decided that she wants to attend an upcoming SASS match in two weeks. She loves my 1860 Henry of all things, but she also wants to buy an 1873 Winchester clone. She even videoed me showing her how to load the 1860 so she could show her friends! I told her not to buy anything before she goes to a match. Now I have to figure out a way to fit my man-sized leather holsters and shotgun belt on her size-1 frame! Plus she wants her boyfriend to try it!

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Will she will be sponsored by the 'Bank of Dad'? :lol:

OLG

I'm sure for the first few matches she will be using my stuff. She has her own non-SASS guns, has a good job, and a master's degree that the VA paid for. (She got hurt in the army.) So, her comment when I told her the cost of the guns was, "Well. I've spent more on dumber things." So, the hope is that she will eventually get her own things.

In April, Paradise Pass is going to start a category called Linerider for shooters who just want to try out Cowboy shooting without the startup expense. You can rent the entire rig. Revolvers, Rifle, Shotgun, Ammo, Holster Rig and a Cart. $15. plus the match fee. Revolvers and rifle are .22 RF and SxS or 97 shotgun with Featherlite shells. They will be assigned a mentor for the day to help them.

They have quite a few shooters that come up monthly from the Indy area and further.

Just a thought.

7 hours ago, Ya Big Tree said:

In April, Paradise Pass is going to start a category called Linerider for shooters who just want to try out Cowboy shooting without the startup expense. You can rent the entire rig. Revolvers, Rifle, Shotgun, Ammo, Holster Rig and a Cart. $15. plus the match fee. Revolvers and rifle are .22 RF and SxS or 97 shotgun with Featherlite shells. They will be assigned a mentor for the day to help them.

They have quite a few shooters that come up monthly from the Indy area and further.

Just a thought.

Yeah, the only problem is PP is about three hours away. Pine Ridge Regulators is only 1.25 hours away. But thanks anyway.

Find a skinny fella or woman at your club, I’m sure they’d let her borrow a rig if they’re on the same shooting posse! Heck, I’m still bumming a rig on month 6 over here while Jack Dixon finishes making mine, thanks to the kindness and generosity of my local cowgirls. Plenty of folks offered, but most of the other belts slid clear off me once I put pistols in the holsters! People are just glad to see folks getting interested, and I’m always glad to see other young women shooting!

On 3/16/2019 at 8:26 PM, Cholla said:

I went to my first NCOWS shoot of the season while my wife was out with my 26-year old daughter. I got back home about the same time as they did and had my gear laid out in the living room. My daughter started checking out my guns and decided she wanted to try them out. Two boxes of ammo later she decided that she wants to attend an upcoming SASS match in two weeks. She loves my 1860 Henry of all things, but she also wants to buy an 1873 Winchester clone. She even videoed me showing her how to load the 1860 so she could show her friends! I told her not to buy anything before she goes to a match. Now I have to figure out a way to fit my man-sized leather holsters and shotgun belt on her size-1 frame! Plus she wants her boyfriend to try it!

Cool!!! Two more shooters!!! Welcome aboard!;)

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:44 PM, Cholla said:

Yeah, the only problem is PP is about three hours away. Pine Ridge Regulators is only 1.25 hours away. But thanks anyway.

Pine Ridge is a fun place to shoot. PP is worth the drive too.

Ya Big Tree, that sounds like the way to do it!

Well done indeed!

Archived