SASS Wire Forum

What exactly is "the best"?

Tennessee williams

Well, it's raining and that got me to thinking. What exactly constitutes the best? Not the definition; how do you quantify the term?

I hear "Joe Blow is the best gunsmith on a derringer" for instance. My immediate thought is, have you tried every other gunsmith or was there a world championship of gunsmiths I didn't know about. Only rarely is that statement ever prefaced with "in my opinion" or "in my experience". The same thing goes for firearms and leather and everything else we use. With those items, do you go by what the majority of the "winners" use or is it what is faster or more reliable for you? I'd just like to know what it takes for YOU to think of something as the best. 

.   Whatever works for you-   Your guns, your gear and your technique!   Is the best         GW

For me it’s actually experienced based. Have owned,used,tried and sold a unreal amount gear for this game. Partly because I’ve always been a gear junky and that is part of the fun for me. If I make a recommendation it’s based on my

own use not conjecture. Reliability is my #1 requirement. Longevity is right there behind it. 

As more time passes I found that I have gotten less "sensitive" to what I consider feels good when it comes to action work. I have a list of things that every gun must do for me individually. For example my preference is for my rifle triggers to be in the 14-15 oz. range. I can shoot a 5 pound trigger but it's not nearly as fun for me. My experience tells me that hoping for a Uberti sear and hammer to hold up for any length of time and hold that 14-15oz. goal is eventually going to leave me disappointed , I know that combo won't work in the long run for me without constant tinkering. That is one of the reasons the Marlins have been so good for me and now the Miroku 1873's. 

I think this is a great question in how it highlights that 'the best' is a subjective question, not an objective one.  To me the biggest factors are reliability, durability, and shootability.  Other's may have different factors they care about (like appearance) and they may place different weights on each factor.  It's hard to judge durability since in my eight years none of my guns have every broken.  To me you get that on the front end when you choose the guns you're going to shoot and somewhat on the back end when you choose a gunsmith.  Reliability means it goes bang every time I pull the trigger, so far all of mine have been 100% durable and reliable.  That leaves shootability and there I've seen a lot of difference in what people have.  Some are very slick, and some not so slick.  I want a gun to be tuned so that it's shootable, but I don't want it tuned like a drag car, one iota away from blowing up.

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I think this is a great question in how it highlights that 'the best' is a subjective question, not an objective one.  

You hit the nail on the head. What works best for me, may not work best for someone else. For instance, I can't run a marlin at speed. Some people can fly with them. I can't say an 1873 is the best just because I can't run a marlin. 

I agree on the function over form for my competition guns. Gotta go bang and do it quick.

The best is the best in my experience.  Often limited for most of us.  But it is still the best.

I dont have the best guns, they work for me. I am not the best shooter, middle of the pack mostly. I dont even have the best hat, but i love it. I am part of the Best game, dont try to take that away, I might resist better than anybody thought. 

Imis  my $.02

Archived