SASS Wire Forum

Looking for recommendations for a smith to Reline a barrel

Doc Coles SASS 1188

A friend from Ohio is looking to have an 1892 winchester barrel relined.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a smith doing good barrel work?  It would be nice, though not required to have someone in the Midwest to make things easier.  

John Taylor and Redman’s, I’ve heard great things about both. Both are in Washington state.

Is he looking to stay with the same caliber or change it?   

When I was thinking of getting a liner for my Marlin project,  I came across a place that would recut the barrel 38WCF to 44WCF for about the same price as getting it relined.  The work included remarking the barrel,  test firing and regulating the sights. 

I decided to get it relined instead.  I got a liner from T J's Liners PO box 531 Alexandria KY 41001 (859) 635-5560.  TJsLiners1992@gmail.com.  They don't have a web site and don't do credit cards.  But Mike Sayers replied to my e-mail promptly.  Their liners are available through Track of the Wolf and other places but buying direct will save you money.  They may be able to tell you of someone who will install it.

I sent my 1896 made Winchester 92 in 32-20 to Redman about 3 years ago to have the barrel relined. Took about 8 weeks, the work was beautifully done, and it once again became an accurate rifle. I would highly recommend Redman. Funny, I just had it out of the safe this morning to look at. I shoot it once a year in a match, and I'm going to shoot it next weekend.

If a .38/357 Uberti were cut to .44-40, what other mods need to be made

Bolt has to be modified or swapped out because the .44-40 has a large diameter rim and the bolt face on a .357 is too small, with proper extractor.   Lifter would be reamed out or replaced. That would be about it.  The toggle guns are built with internals that are remarkably caliber indifferent.  Mag tube - big diameter fits them all (to the worry of small caliber shooters sometimes).  Rest of action - makes a full 1.600" stroke every time the lever is operated. 

Do please remark the barrel for correct caliber.  Even if you always remember, a future operator of the gun may not.

Good luck, GJ

I've always heard good things about Redman's.  I could take a couple of weeks, but relining barrels is labor intensive, and he's got a shop specially designed for relining.

John Powers over in Louisanna does a great job and I know it personally.  

One of the best in the business - 281-513-3438    -   john@powersmetalworks.com

I have an old (1886) '73 Winchester whose bore was beyond hope. I took the barrel off, sent it to John Taylor and waited to hear back from him with an invoice, etc. Much to my surprise, about two weeks later my barrel was returned, lined and rechambered, with an invoice in the box with the barrel. That's right, he did the work, returned the barrel, THEN billed me.

That friends, is customer service. On top of that, the liner is of very high quality and gives wonderful accuracy.

200%20yds.%20Herco_zpsg5fcpll0.jpg

Cholla

I got my Marlin 1894 project gun back yesterday with the new liner installed. Looks good. But here is an illustration of something to consider.

1460986028_Marlinrelined2September2018.jpg.97d0fb3d8401cde04a5774dc00cbe548.jpg

The liner TJs suggested I use was 9/16" diameter.  They also make them in 5/8". But the barrel on the old Marlin is just a little over .700 at the muzzle. A 5/8" liner would have left only an outside skin. As it was, you can see that the liner came through in the sight dovetail.  

504279655_Marlinrelinejobdone1September2018.jpg.52216feb1c3b616b609312ab44e2ff8e.jpg

It showed through even more in the magizene hanger cut.

I plan to draw file the barrel some and brown it.

Bobby Hoyt has performed many relines and even a rebore from 38-40 to 44-40 for me over the years.  He is in 

Pennsylvania and his place is called The Freishuz Shoppe. Should be able to google it up. The rebore was less expensive

and returned the rifle to excellent accuracy. 

Thanks everyone.  I relined a 32-20 1873 myself a number of years ago, but I am not in the position to do the job for my friend right now.  I sent him some of the names provided.

Doc

I had Redmond reline a 73 in 38/40 for me a few years ago I was thoroughly pleased with the workmanship, cost, and turn around time.

And it shoots better than I do.

Moses #5964 life

Archived