SASS Wire Forum

17 dead in another school shooting

Utah Bob #35998

I had a lady that claims to be “conservative” tell me Monday that she thinks it’s time to rid the country of “those AR-15 assault rifles that everyone’s killing people with”.

I said, “That’s fine. How about while we are at it we ban off road vehicles (she has a Jeep Wrangler) because no one needs those. We have had roads since Roman times. We also need to ban all metal and wood working tools because if guns are banned people can make more with the tools they have at home (she has a side business of making furniture with metal and wood)”

She got all snotty as belligerent and said “What the hell does that have to do with assault weapons?”

I said “Nothing. It would make no sense. Just as banning a gun purely on a cosmetic basis makes no sense. How about you do this? How about you educate yourself on what an AR-15 is andcwhat an assault weapon is and then get back to me...oh, and don’t educate yourself via Facebook. Do some real research because it sounds like you are allowing yourself to be manipulated by morons.”

She hasn’t talked about it since. I won’t see her until Monday. I am looking forward to her report..,

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As we will look forward to your report.;)

Monday night almost the same type of conversation began with the guy sitting next to me. I walked into the room a little late and there was a conversation going on about the legitimacy of certain firearms in society in reference to the Florida school shooting. I was busy with some of my equipment and I personally stayed out of the conversation because I could already feel my blood pressure rising and that's not why I was at this particular social function. The guy next to me, a computer professor at a local University (guess the nature of his political structure) randomly and excitedly started to fill me in on the importance of banning all the automatic weapons people have. I asked him why he would want to ban military weapons from the military? He looked confused. He said, "You know people should not have automatic weapons." To which I countered, "people do not have automatic weapons. Only the military does."

He looked confused. He then said, "Well you know, semi-automatic weapons." I told him "Those are not even close to being the same thing and I have no problem with semi-automatic weapons."

He looked disenfranchised that I was not going to agree with him. I purposely did not offer details or continue the conversation as again, that's not why I was at this particular social function. He stopped, I let him stop and the evening continued without a hitch. As a personal note, he has no idea about my political belief system especially concerning the Second Amendment as I generally don't wear that openly on my sleeve. I'm happy to engage in a debate in the proper setting and this was not the proper setting. As far as he knows the guy next to him does not have a problem with semi-automatic weapons. If he wants to continue that dialogue at some point in the future I'll be happy to further elucidate him gently on why he's wrong. I don't want to hurt his feelings, you know? That particular building where he and I would encounter each other does not offer safe spaces.

1 hour ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Maybe this will help also. Key word "the people". and limitation on Government. MT

An overlooked part, the Preamble to the Bill of RIghts:

The First 10 Amendments to the
Constitution as Ratified by the States

December 15, 1791

Preamble

Congress OF THE United States
begun and held at the City of New York, on Wednesday
the Fourth of March, one thousand seven hundred and eighty nine.

THE Conventions of a number of the States having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best insure the beneficent ends of its institution

RESOLVED by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, two thirds of both Houses concurring, that the following Articles be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States, as Amendments to the Constitution of the United States, all or any of which Articles, when ratified by three fourths of the said Legislatures, to be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of the said Constitution; viz.:

ARTICLES in addition to, and Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America, proposed by Congress, and ratified by the Legislatures of the several States, pursuant to the fifth Article of the original Constitution.

13 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

An overlooked part, the Preamble to the Bill of RIghts:

The First 10 Amendments to the
Constitution as Ratified by the States

December 15, 1791

Preamble

Congress OF THE United States
begun and held at the City of New York, on Wednesday
the Fourth of March, one thousand seven hundred and eighty nine.

THE Conventions of a number of the States having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best insure the beneficent ends of its institution

RESOLVED by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, two thirds of both Houses concurring, that the following Articles be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States, as Amendments to the Constitution of the United States, all or any of which Articles, when ratified by three fourths of the said Legislatures, to be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of the said Constitution; viz.:

ARTICLES in addition to, and Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America, proposed by Congress, and ratified by the Legislatures of the several States, pursuant to the fifth Article of the original Constitution.

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I had a lady that claims to be “conservative” tell me Monday that she thinks it’s time to rid the country of “those AR-15 assault rifles that everyone’s killing people with”.

I said, “That’s fine. How about while we are at it we ban off road vehicles (she has a Jeep Wrangler) because no one needs those. We have had roads since Roman times. We also need to ban all metal and wood working tools because if guns are banned people can make more with the tools they have at home (she has a side business of making furniture with metal and wood)”

She got all snotty as belligerent and said “What the hell does that have to do with assault weapons?”

I said “Nothing. It would make no sense. Just as banning a gun purely on a cosmetic basis makes no sense. How about you do this? How about you educate yourself on what an AR-15 is andcwhat an assault weapon is and then get back to me...oh, and don’t educate yourself via Facebook. Do some real research because it sounds like you are allowing yourself to be manipulated by morons.”

She hasn’t talked about it since. I won’t see her until Monday. I am looking forward to her report..,

I too am interested in knowing how she answers your question.  You should also ask her to watch these videos by Prager U. They are short but pack a lot of information.

What Should We Do About Guns? https://www.prageru.com/playlists/restricted-youtube#13

Gun Rights Are Women's Rights   https://www.prageru.com/playlists/restricted-youtube#1

Archived