SASS Wire Forum

What's a fair price

Bison Bud

Years back, I bought 3 of the original EAA imported, Biakal SXS's with the original double trigger and 28" barrels.  I cut the barrels to 24"on two of them, slicked up one for my primary match gun (which has been heavily used and is still as good as it ever was).  I also slicked up the second one for a backup gun, however, I Ieft the 3rd one untouched and unfired and it's just sat in the safe ever since.  At this point, I doubt that I will ever really need this gun, especially since I'm not sure I'll ever be able to shoot a shotgun again, due to upcoming shoulder replacement surgery.  Anyway, I am wondering what a fair price might be for this "new in the box" shotgun that was imported prior to all the Remington issues, etc. and would appreciate input from the wire on this subject.  These are very rugged shotguns that make great cowboy SXS's once they are brought up to speed (no pun intended), but they are very stiff out of the box and it will need some work to make the action stay open and slick it up into a viable competitor.  Any possible feedback on what might be a fair price from the pards on the wire would be greatly appreciated.  Good luck and good shooting to all.   

It's not in high demand as a hunting shotgun.  It's a very good Cowboy shotgun.  Without work done (barrel shortening and action and chamber slicking) you are giving up on a couple hundred dollars of value to Cowboy market.  A quick trip to Johnny Meadows for that tuning would result in a "brand new" cowboy double that probably would be worth up to $500 to the right shooter.

Good luck, GJ

There are alot of cowboys out there who have had total shoulder replacement and, after PT/OT. have come back to our game..  I have had both shoulders replaced and me shoulders work great.  I  have full rotation on both and no issue with the shotgun.  Due the therapy and walk into it slowly.

I would suggest you PM Johnny Meadows with your question about the NIB Biakal. You might also get some good feedback from him re: the shoulder replacement, as he can give you a 1st hand opinion on your concerns for the future.

Thanks for the info, especially about those who have been able to return to shooting shotgun after full shoulder replacement.  Frankly, I haven't yet had the guts to ask the doctor about it, but will discuss it on my next appointment.  I've got to finish up rehab on my eighth knee surgery first, so I've got some time before the shoulder gets worked on, but it is inevitable at some point soon.  As for the shotgun, I can't seem to find a new price listed for one online, but it's got to be worth at least $350.00 even without the needed cowboy smithing or it's not going anywhere.  In any case, thanks for the feedback and good shooting to all.

Bud I have no input whatsoever on the gun but I hope you heal up and we get to shoot together sometime. It's been a while. 

Good luck with the rehab.

3 hours ago, Bison Bud said:

Thanks for the info, especially about those who have been able to return to shooting shotgun after full shoulder replacement.  Frankly, I haven't yet had the guts to ask the doctor about it, but will discuss it on my next appointment.  I've got to finish up rehab on my eighth knee surgery first, so I've got some time before the shoulder gets worked on, but it is inevitable at some point soon.  As for the shotgun, I can't seem to find a new price listed for one online, but it's got to be worth at least $350.00 even without the needed cowboy smithing or it's not going anywhere.  In any case, thanks for the feedback and good shooting to all.

I would agree you should be able to get $350 to $400 all day.

Randy

5 hours ago, Bison Bud said:

As for the shotgun, I can't seem to find a new price listed for one online,

That's because the Russians have been forbidden to export to the US any small arms for the last several years.  That includes the Baikal shotguns.  Political policy at it's finest.  In all senses of the term.

Good luck, GJ

Howdy Brandon, it's great to hear from you!  I really miss my cowboy shooting pards out there and you and Drover are at the top of my list of all time favorite posse pards.  I really miss shooting, but have obviously had some pretty serious health issues over the past couple years and have had to focus on other things both physically and financially.  My personal goal is to get back to the game at some point, but it may be awhile yet.  In any case, thanks for the kind words and I hope to see you on down the trail again soon.  

As for the shotgun, thanks for the info on the Russian import ban.  I had no idea and that does explain a lot on not being able to find a retail price on line, but as stated previously, it's got to be worth $350.00.  In any case, thanks for all the feedback and good luck and good shooting to all.  

If you have shoulder issues, try shooting from the hip like the Outlaws do.  Not an official SASS category but we are seeing more of them in the last year or so.

BIson Bud. I have no input on the value of your shotgun. However I wish you the best on your shoulder replacement. I have been out for a year from mine, but I also had a hip replacement.  I intend to return this year to shooting with Brandon A Bovine, seems Drover has left the game ( which I’m sorry to hear). Lots of cowboys have had the surgery and returned to shooting. Some very quickly, Big Sage comes to mind. Do the therapy  religiously, it’s up to you and your dedication. Good luck with the shotgun sell.  But don’t pull out of shooting yet, I’m sure you’ll surprise yourself.  I know I intend to.

I checked Gun Broker. There's a few Baikal's listed there. One is a "Bounty Hunter" coach gun. The rest are long barrels with (1) 410 and (1) 20ga. The average price is around $350 - $425 and one of them more than that. None are a "buy it now" option. The last one I bought off of GB I paid $380 + $30 shipping and $1.20 postal money Order. For a total of $411.20. That was the 1st part of December. There were quite few more listed then. Baikal's are getting harder to find.

Archived