SASS Wire Forum

.50 BMG

Abilene Slim SASS 81783

The "Ma Deuce" has been around for some time now. I notice that in the WWII era, it always had that perforated shroud surrounding the barrel, whether it was mounted in aircraft or ground vehicles. When I see them these days mounted to vehicles et al, the shroud is gone. What's changed over the years that the shroud is no longer necessary?

Cheaper to produce without the shroud?

Thicker barrels? Better metallurgy in the barrel construction?

Just guesses...

The shroud was also there to lessen the chance of burning oneself. 

Not having the shroud increases the chances of burning oneself.

Burning oneself increases the chance you'll only do it once and learn from it.

Removing the shroud not only saves money but is educational. 

A "win-win" as they say in buzzword circles...and it makes it easier to change the barrel, as OLG stated. ;)

Some years ago "Sarco" had .50 BMG  quad mounts for sale.

. . . Now wouldn't that be FUN :)

Mount it on a pick up truck  . . . . 

.. . . load up with a nice "mix" . . . . anti personnel, incendiary, armor piercing. . . . . 

cruise a bad neighborhood. . .

. . see that drug house ? . . . . . BBBBrrrrrrrrrrrrr. . . . p   NO MORE DRUG HOUSE.     :D

A petite female in my brigade, but in another battalion, had a personalized plate that read MA DEUCE because she was the .50 gunner on convoys, and she had two kids. Still chuckle about that.

If the shroud's sole purpose was to keep the gunner/crew from getting burned, why would they keep it in aircraft applications? I'm thinking about all those bombers etc. where the barrel would never be touched by the gunner. And at 25,000 feet, it would cool rapidly anyway. Did it serve another purpose such as structural support for the barrel? Seems they could have a lot of $$$ by leaving it off those applications.

I know little of these wonderful guns. Consider my queries "Alpoisms" :)

Aircraft 50's had a smaller diameter barrel. The shroud also acted as sort of a "barrel bushing" on the front. Didn't need a heavy barrel as they were cooled by moving air. The thinner barrel also helped reduce weight some.

55 minutes ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Aircraft 50's had a smaller diameter barrel. The shroud also acted as sort of a "barrel bushing" on the front. Didn't need a heavy barrel as they were cooled by moving air. The thinner barrel also helped reduce weight some.

Thank you!

Archived