SASS Wire Forum

Kammerlader Pistol

Subdeacon Joe

The guns of the mid 19th Century (1830's through early 1870's) have always fascinated me.

Firearms went through a spurt of growth and technological advancement much like the one computers went through during the tech boom of the 80's and 90's when the latest and greatest computer was superseded by something even newer in a matter of weeks or months.

If you can imagine a way to load a gun, there's a half a dozen designs out there that used some sort of variation of it. Sometimes, you wonder why a particular model never caught on. Other times, you wonder what the inventor was thinking and can't imagine how he was successful in bringing it into production.

Loading works much like the 1819 Hall rifle used by the US Army.

I always wondered why the US Army mozed away from the popular Hall and went back to a conventional muzzleloader without improving the Hall.

Always did like an Under Striker.

Interesting pistol ... on firing, in slo-mo, no gas leakage at all!

Cool, would go with my 58cal muzzle stuffer. Wonder who makes the replica's?

Thanks Joe. In the credits there was a line that said "168 fpe". I Googled that as I didn't realize fpe stood for foot-pounds of energy. Duh...anyway I found this: https://www.crosman.com/connect/airbow/pioneer-airbow-faq/

It has 168 foot-pounds of energy as well.

Archived