SASS Wire Forum

What is a Hoot Sweep

Bart Solo

Had a great time shooting the hoot sweep today with the Gold Coast Gunslingers. It is really a hoot and involves a 5 target array.

Smokestack's description is a 4 target array... what is the shooting order on 5 targets?

If your shooting it with Hoot you have to cover your mustache with both hands as the starting position....... I'm not tellin why!

Slim, you started something at Ohio. Ever since, I get no respect at all

hOOt

PS: Smokestack, you are correct on the shooting pattern

I am going to learn a new to me sweep tomorrow at the Gold Coast Gunslingers--the Hoot sweep, whatever that is. Anybody ever hear of it?

Yea a hoot sweep is a real pain in the butt!!! :P

Smokestack's description is a 4 target array... what is the shooting order on 5 targets?

The way we shot it yesterday was first pistol double tap outside, three singles across targets 2, 3, 4 of the 5 targets. second pistol start on target 2, singles across targets 2, 3, 4 and double tap target 5. When you end you have put two rounds on each target, double tapping the outside targets. I don't know if it is gunfighter friendly. For me it was very enjoyable.

I am sure the sweep must be well known by a different name, but I can't recall shooting it before. It is very elegant if you think about it. It would appear to be very fast for a five target array. The match director slowed down the stage a tad by having us shoot 6 shotgun targets.

Edited by Bart Solo

I could tell you, but if I did I would be banned from the wire.

If your shooting it with Hoot you have to cover your mustache with both hands as the starting position....... I'm not tellin why!

Slim's comment is the part that will get banned from the Wire.

Remember ... what happens at Ohio State stays at Ohio State. Tryin' to save your reputation hOOt.

The way we shot it yesterday was first pistol double tap outside, three singles across targets 2, 3, 4 of the 5 targets. second pistol start on target 2, singles across targets 2, 3, 4 and double tap target 5. When you end you have put two rounds on each target, double tapping the outside targets. I don't know if it is gunfighter friendly. For me it was very enjoyable.

I am sure the sweep must be well known by a different name, but I can't recall shooting it before. It is very elegant if you think about it. It would appear to be very fast for a five target array. The match director slowed down the stage a tad by having us shoot 6 shotgun targets.

That would be a Rattler John sweep.