SASS Wire Forum

.38 spl overall length?

Rube Burrows

Hello, I normally shoot .45 Colt but picked up an older .38/.357 Rossi 92 and I have been messing with some loads.

I was curious what overall length you guys are running on a Rossi 92 in .38spl.

I had them at about 1.54 and they were tight to cycle so I dropped them down to 1.42 and that seems to be too short. At that length they are getting too high and some even pop out the top of the gun like an ejected one.

Right now I am using HSM 158g RNFP (.356)

Just curious to see if someone found a length that works pretty good in a stock action? No action job.

Thanks.

Howdy Rube,

I have two '92s, they both feed 158 RNFP at 1.585 very well. However one will pitch a fit if the length gets below 1.578, the other will feed them to 1.5. When shooting '92s you need to figure out what they like and then feed only that to them. Both of them hate the TC profile and will refuse to run fast and smooth.

When shooting '92s you need to figure out what they like and then feed only that to them. Both of them hate the TC profile and will refuse to run fast and smooth.

My Browning 92 also will not feed TC bullets regardless of weight. Loading for a 92 is trial and error, most seem to end up 1.5", +or-.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up making them 1.52. Made a few dummy rounds and they seem to cycle well. About to head out to my father in law's land to shoot and see how they do.

Tracker Jack Daniels,

You say your 92 will not feed TC bullets.

-----------

Are they true TC or are they TC with a shoulder as in a semi wad cutter with a nose?

Any bullet with a shoulder will tend to catch on the shoulder in a 92 while chambering by the way the round comes up at an angle.

First I would check the forcing cone and make sure there is not a lead build up that will keep the round from tipping as it goes in to the chamber.

A lead built up will hold the round up longer and causing it to wedge against the barrel before it can tip down in to the chamber.

They were TC bullets, tried three different makers bullets. None of the three would run at "cowboy" speed. They would run if you levered slow and jiggled the lever. Both will run the 158 RNFP or 158 RN as fast as you can work the rifle. So that tells me it is the bullet profile. Have a third '92 in 44-40 that will barely tolerate a TC bullet, lever closes very hard; it also runs like a dream with the RN or RNFP profile and will take bullet weights of 165 to 210. I love my '92s, just have learned to feed them what they like.

Your rifle will handle both 38spl and 357mag?

If that is the case.

In 38 spl brass the 158 grain bullet has the crimp groove in the correct place.

The 125 crimp groove is too close to the nose for 38 spl as it was designed for full length 357 brass to get 1.58" full length.

Try crimping the 125TC not in the crimp groove but at the front end of the lube groove.

This will make the overall length less than 1.60" and more like 1.57".

Loading for others, (commercial reloader) I loaded 357 mag to 1.58" and the 38 spl to about 1.56" or 1.57" overall.

This requires crimping in the lube groove.

Crimp close in the lube groove as far forward as you can with out actually contacting the top edge of the lube groove.

This will keep the case from bulging and the bullet will not slip back in to the case on recoil.

The SAMMI 38Spl Overall Length is 1.55 in. Start with several dummy reloads for this length to deter from a magazine feed they all chamber with no failures. If yes, for your reloads, work off the 1.55 a thousands or two until there are no issues chambering

Howdy- 2+ for Cliff Hanger and John Boy!

Be sure to gauge ALL of your loaded rifle ammo , most especially if using cases with mixed headstamps. IF the required OAL has you crimping where there is no crimping groove ( a common occurrence! My .38 special Uberti '66 a case in point, as was a Navy Arms '92 I owned years ago, and yes, that is how to get a good many Marlins to feed and cycle; .38's in .357 Marlins, .44 special in .44 magnum Marlins ). I had found with my '66, I got very consistant results by using cases with matching headstamps, as they were all far closer to being the same length, therefore all got the same crimp. When some cases are longer than others, the case may be bulged, or even buckled when crimp is applied, resulting in failure to chamber ( fi you are lucky), or , worse, failure to chamber completely , which can leave you with a round partly chambered, but jammed in so tightly it shall need a long squib rod down the muzzle to dislodge it . NOT a fast way to get through a stage of fire!

I had come into a couple of buckets of .38 special brass some time ago- getting a bunch of cases marked alike was well worth the effort.

OR...... you could trim them all..........

It does not matter whether it is .38 or .357 mag brass as long as the overall length is at 1.585, and the bullet is a 158gr RN or RNFP. They will run as fast as you can go, but change the bullet weight, profile, or overall length and they will pitch a fit.

Well took the 92 out yesterday and the 1.52 COL ran flawlessly. Shot 100 rounds through the rifle and shot some in the Rugers also.

Hello, I normally shoot .45 Colt but picked up an older .38/.357 Rossi 92 and I have been messing with some loads.

I was curious what overall length you guys are running on a Rossi 92 in .38spl.

I had them at about 1.54 and they were tight to cycle so I dropped them down to 1.42 and that seems to be too short. At that length they are getting too high and some even pop out the top of the gun like an ejected one.

Right now I am using HSM 158g RNFP (.356)

Just curious to see if someone found a length that works pretty good in a stock action? No action job.

Thanks.

I have been much happier with 130 gr. bullets for 92 as well as 66. The shape cycles more reliable for me.

Well took the 92 out yesterday and the 1.52 COL ran flawlessly. Shot 100 rounds through the rifle and shot some in the Rugers also.

Yep, you done good. I run that OAL with a 147gr. TC for my '73 and the wife's '92. Works great for both.

Archived