SASS Wire Forum

tumbling brass

Blastmaster

I'm like others in that my brass tarnishes the next day. Does the Armor All solution prevent that?

To the OP yes, I clean mine in a Frankfort Arsenal tumbler with stainless steel pins after every match. I rinse thoroughly and use a Dillon Case separator to remove pins. I spread brass out on clean towels to dry. After all is clean and dry I run each case mouth over an old pair of sweat pants to check for cracks. Then it's back into the bin to away reloading.

The Armor All has a car wax additive that seems to help the shells from tarnishing, and in my opinion works a little like case lube when loading. The only way to keep your shells from dulling though is to thoroughly dry them. I stick my empties primer side up in a loading rack after cleaning for about 24 hours, but some other guys I know put them in dehydrator's etc.

Just so much extra work to make the brass extra shiny. What's the point?

Some folks want others to think they only shoot new brass! ??? :P:P

The Armor All has a car wax additive that seems to help the shells from tarnishing, and in my opinion works a little like case lube when loading. The only way to keep your shells from dulling though is to thoroughly dry them. I stick my empties primer side up in a loading rack after cleaning for about 24 hours, but some other guys I know put them in dehydrator's etc.

The tiny little bit of lemi-shine that some of us use prevents it. 1/8tsp is all it takes.

pride in workmanship

same reason I wash my truck - and that takes more time AND money.

So you are saying that since my brass is stained I have no pride in the workmanship of my ammo?

And I never wash my car. I let the rain do that for me.

So you are saying that since my brass is stained I have no pride in the workmanship of my ammo?

Nope, not saying that at all. Just saying my pride in workmanship dictates that I clean my brass. I won't run dirty brass through my firearms any more than I will run it through my loading dies. But that's just me. I don't judge anyone else for doing anything different.

Does make me right, doesn't make you wrong. just makes us different. :)

I won't run dirty brass through my firearms any more than I will run it through my loading dies.

I think the confusion here is between dirty brass and stained brass. My brass is not dirty, it is just stained. After rinsing away all the soot (and grit) I let it dry, then tumble it for a few hours in lizzard litter. If you look closely at my photo you will see my brass is actually highly polished and it is reflecting light. It is not dirty, it is just stained. Been doing this for a long time, stained brass will not hurt reloading dies.

To the original question, yes I tumble after each shoot. Not all at once, mind you.....pour them in a 5 gallon bucket, wait way to long to inspect them, then put them in the tumbler.

I like nice, shiney brass but sometimes it is stained, don't know why, So long as it's clean....who cares? For the record, some brass is outright ancient and some is newer...I don't care how many "cycles" are on the brass. That's why it gets a GOOD inspection before it ever goes into the tumbler.

CS

Here's what I use:

Rebel 17 Extreme Tumbler

17lb max. capacity

3lb media

6lb brass MAX - Usually only put in about 4lb

8lb water (1gal) fill to approx. 1" from top of drum

1 tbl spoon of dawn

1/4 teaspoon of lemi-shine

Thanks CodyMaverick,

what is the 3lb media?

you adding a dry media in with the dawn and lemi-shine?

I think the confusion here is between dirty brass and stained brass. My brass is not dirty, it is just stained. After rinsing away all the soot (and grit) I let it dry, then tumble it for a few hours in lizzard litter. If you look closely at my photo you will see my brass is actually highly polished and it is reflecting light. It is not dirty, it is just stained. Been doing this for a long time, stained brass will not hurt reloading dies.

Yep, there's a difference for sure. I've got a few pieces of brass that are very dark, still clean.

Here's what I use:

Rebel 17 Extreme Tumbler

17lb max. capacity

3lb media

6lb brass MAX - Usually only put in about 4lb

8lb water (1gal) fill to approx. 1" from top of drum

1 tbl spoon of dawn

1/4 teaspoon of lemi-shine

Thanks CodyMaverick,

what is the 3lb media?

you adding a dry media in with the dawn and lemi-shine?

The pins are the media in this case.

3lbs as opposed to 5lb. It is usually sold in 5lb bags and when I've seen instructions for cleaning brass this way, they say to use 5lbs but I found that 3lbs does just as well and I can add 2 extra pounds of brass.

what the reason behind washing a truck that's why you get a truck. Every two or three years I might let a car wash wash it.

Some people have mentioned just soaking them in a special solution. How about that? Can I get away with just soaking them, or do I need to buy two more pieces of equipment? I'll be reloading 38/357/9.

If youre going wet, you'll need some method of creating agitatation. might as well do it right from the get go. the soaking you are referring to is for blackpowder to keep the residue from turning rock hard. it's not as much a problem with smokeless.

1,500 miles back from WR supplied said Agitation ... Soaking and bouncing around in my camper on the back of my Municipal District Mud Colored

Truck, that get`s washed when there is blood that needs washing out ...

Jabez Cowboy

Just so much extra work to make the brass extra shiny. What's the point?

That is the point! Some of us like bright shiny objects :P

Archived