SASS Wire Forum

Round Engines

Subdeacon Joe

I can tell you that is NOT an authentic model of a radial engine! There is no oil leaking out the bottom. When I was with the CAF I walked many a radial engine through and any radial not leaking is out of oil!

I can tell you that is NOT an authentic model of a radial engine! There is no oil leaking out the bottom. When I was with the CAF I walked many a radial engine through and any radial not leaking is out of oil!

Bugs... didn't you see the li'l piles o' sawdust underneath...? :rolleyes:

Round engines do NOT "leak oil."

They mark their territory.

You probly already knew that radial engines must have an odd number of jugs. (cylinders) Otherwise they would be working against each other. Many of us have always loved the distinctive sound of a radial. It is a sound not heard often enough any more. I really like the looks of that wooden model.

Jet engines are SO much simpler...........At the Boston Science Museum they have a cut away of a B29 engine. You stand there and look at that thing and can't believe a human could think something like that up. Amazingly complicated!

Many people never realized that the engines in the old war planes worked like that. The entire motor rotates actually! American P51 mustangs, Japan zeros, German messerscmitts all worked the same way!

Many people never realized that the engines in the old war planes worked like that. The entire motor rotates actually! American P51 mustangs, Japan zeros, German messerscmitts all worked the same way!

Not 'zackley, Colt...

There were indeed "rotary" engines used on WWI aircraft; neat machines, but were fraught with performance issues.

And although the Zero had a radial (I believe), the P51 and Messerschmitt fighters did not.

Not 'zackley, Colt...

There were indeed "rotary" engines used on WWI aircraft; neat machines, but were fraught with performance issues.

And although the Zero had a radial (I believe), the P51 and Messerschmitt fighters did not.

Prob right, didnt do my research on all the makes and models of planes.....was putting more of a emphasis on them rotating like they do! pretty amazing stuff!

You're thinking of the rotary radial:

Archived