SASS Wire Forum

Institute of Makers of Explosives Encourages Congress to Close Explosives Security Gaps

John Boy

PRESS RELEASE
President, IME http://www.ime.org
(202) 809-4765

The Institute of Makers of Explosives Encourages Congress to Close Explosives Security Gaps

The Institute of Makers of Explosives (“IME”) encourages further efforts to close gaps in the Federal explosives laws that could prevent diversion and criminal misuse of commercial explosives. In correspondence to Congress and communications with Federal agencies, IME has asserted that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) should have the authority to deny clearance to individuals applying to be responsible persons or employee possessors on Federal explosives licenses and permits who are listed in the Terrorist Screening Database (TSDB).

IME believes that all persons who receive or manufacture explosive materials should be subject to a background check. According to data collected by the U.S. Bomb Data Center (Explosives Incident Report National Summary CY 2013), black powder, smokeless powder and black powder substitutes comprised nearly 40% of main charge materials associated with domestic explosions and bombings between 2010 and 2013. These materials can be purchased over-the-counter with no background check required. Likewise, binary exploding targets are sold online and off-the-shelf without background checks and can be mixed into a high explosives charge without a Federal license to manufacture. ATF should be directed to propose a background check process that causes minimum burden to sporting enthusiasts yet better protects public safety.

IME continues to support ATF’s mission to protect the public from criminal use and insecure storage of explosives materials. Given the recent focus on domestic terrorism and violence in the United States, IME encourages the Administration, Congress and the Justice Department not to lose focus on or divert resources from explosives security and to address gaps that remain in Federal explosives statutes.

IME was founded in 1913 and is the safety and security association for the commercial explosives industry. IME develops best practices and safety and security standards to prevent commercial explosives from being diverted to criminal or terrorist use. IME’s best practices together with regulatory requirements have been so effective in achieving this goal that per the 2013 U.S. Bomb Data Center report, only 1% (approximately) of annual domestic bombings and recoveries involved commercial explosive materials. More information on IME can be found at http://www.IME.org

Yes, minimum inconvenience that's rich how about a background check to buy diesel, gasoline and nitrates.

No manufacturer wants to be caught "holding the bag" for terrorist actions. They are doing their darndest to cut their own future sales of sporting arms propellants in order to "obtain some temporary security" from lawsuits.

Here's an idea - why don't we punish the perpetrators rather than manufacturers? Oh, no, wait, that would be really stupid, as was decided about 1964.

Now there will be a run on BP & subs.

And Smokeless powders. They were also included on the list.

Many years ago, when I first started reloading, the local gun shop used to record the name, state, and drivers license number into a bound book for every purchase of powder. I though nothing of it until years later when I started reloading for SASS and started using BP Subs. Then I started buying it online in larger quantities. I can see it now, the local gun shop will only be allowed to sell you 1 pound at a time, only so many per month. I go through a pound of the stuff making 125 shotgun shells and can use those up in a weekend! This will not end well!

In NJ, the purchaser's name and address and date of birth is recorded in the seller's book for a maximum purchase of 5 lbs of powder (black or white) from our Firearms ID card or driver's license.

Some Internet ammo vendors are starting the same with "proof" sent before the order is shipped. Additional orders - proof is on record. If this IME proposal is approved by Congress - we still would be able to buy over the Internet with a one time submission of 'proof" . BUT ... if my driver's license or FID was pulled because of conviction ... the control would be WORTHLESS!

And if proof was required for each purchase ,,, a PITA for us and the vendor!

How many remember that the Boston Marathon bombers obtained their black powder by purchasing fireworks? Are 4th of July roadside fireworks stands going to run background checks? I can hear the cry now. "It's time to close the fireworks stand loophole!"

"It's time to close the fireworks stand loophole!"

LOL. I can hear it now..

Archived