SASS Wire Forum

Saloon Pards: Please Explain...

Widder, SASS #59054

Yikes....never considered it....but then I have a high number so....not so smart...lol...good question though....Jim

Howdy,

I always like to ask the folks who make em.

It could be a LAW which means pollyticians decided and logic is out da winder.

Have you ever gone into a construction zone where everything and every body was orange?

It makes it very hard to see an orange man hold up an orange glove

to stop traffic for an orange machine to back out into traffic.

But if they take you to court they will only bring the orange gloves. Bet on it.

Best

CR

Widder,

Just because you quit shooting when it gets cold, does not mean that you can come over to the saloon and start causing trouble. The emergency vehicles (rafts) on cruise ships have orange tops. And I have seen plenty of orange inflatable rafts.

Okay, explain why the Navy issues camouflage utilities in shades of blue which should blend in beautifully in the water.

The thing is, if I fall overboard I WANT TO LIGHT UP LIKE THE VEGAS STRIP!!!

I have researched that. The uniforms are not camouflage. But the other services had cool camo. The Navy decided to boost morale with a cool looking utility uniform! Seriuosly.

I guess they never considered the overboard thing. But the old dungaree uniforms were blue too.

Just a guess...but concepts regarding safety and visibility have developed over time. Human factors engineering studies perception and reaction to colors in various safety settings.

Most fire engines used to be red...and then some departments started using "high-visibility" fluorescent "lime green" for enhanced visibility, especially in low light conditions.

Given the structure of our retinas, yellow is generally considered to be the "most visible" color, and I suspect that is the reason for the life raft color choice.

As for orange vests - somebody made that choice decades ago; the color is so highly associated with life preservers that it might be risky to change, given that passengers need to "find" a vest under stress, and may not associate a new color with a preserver. Similarly, survival suits, used by fishermen and offshore sailors, are also made primarily in a red/orange color, unique to their use.

Want to be more certain that you will be spotted? Don't rely on color; make sure your preserver/raft/suit is equipped with strobe lights, whistles and flares.

LL

Just a guess...but concepts regarding safety and visibility have developed over time. Human factors engineering studies perception and reaction to colors in various safety settings.

Most fire engines used to be red...and then some departments started using "high-visibility" fluorescent "lime green" for enhanced visibility, especially in low light conditions.

Given the structure of our retinas, yellow is generally considered to be the "most visible" color, and I suspect that is the reason for the life raft color choice.

As for orange vests - somebody made that choice decades ago; the color is so highly associated with life preservers that it might be risky to change, given that passengers need to "find" a vest under stress, and may not associate a new color with a preserver. Similarly, survival suits, used by fishermen and offshore sailors, are also made primarily in a red/orange color, unique to their use.

Want to be more certain that you will be spotted? Don't rely on color; make sure your preserver/raft/suit is equipped with strobe lights, whistles and flares.

LL

Good advice there, LL.

I like in the movies when the shipwreck surviviors holler at the planes flying over at 10,000 feet. Even a whistle might not work. ;)

Archived