SASS Wire Forum

Blind Dogs

Jack Ash

We learned our youngest dog is going blind due to a congenital defect in her eyes. Does anyone have any good advice on what to expect? She is a mini Dachshund and an exuberant girl who always has to be first. Stays inside most of the day and owns the couch with our other dog. We are on a mission to see and smell as many different animals as we can before she's completely blind. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Had a Black Lab that went blind when she was around 4. Put her on leash and we still took walks which were a little slower. They take things different than we do. When a dog looses its sight, to them it appears to be something that is normal and accept it. As humans you know very well how we accept going blind. We are the ones it will be hard on, not them. They still very well need reassurance you will be there for them and confort them. All they need, just to be accepted in your pack & all will be well. You'll be amazed at how they know where things are around the house. Just don't move things around and if you do, let them be with you as you move it. My Lab lived another 8 years.

My son has a Bichon Friese yip yappers, you know, a mop with legs. Dang dog shook his head so hard and so often that he detached his retinas. Apparently this is not uncommon in this breed. Little sucker is blind as a bat but he can make his way around just fine. I swear at time he can see some as he will navigate around what should be an obstacle but doesn't bump into them. Other times he bumps into things all the time. I think he must have developed radar like bats have. Little bugger gets along just fine with the other mongrels.

Shasta developed cancer in her head. The tumor grew so large it severed the optic nerve in the right eye. I had both the eye and the tumor removed, but within six months the tumor grew back and took out the other eye. And about six months later it was so advanced that I had to have her put down.

But for those six months or so that she was blind, she seemed to do all right. She made it around the house fine. Guess she used her nose, because I never took any special precautions about "don't rearrange things". She could find the food and water dishes, and find the back door when she needed out. Could not find the door, once she was in the back yard, though.

So, about ten minutes after she'd go out back, Tucker would go out and find her, and lead her to the back steps. Once she was there, she was fine, and came back in.

Doxna had a mini schnauzer that went blind... and she actually had "glass eyes" installed in the critter.

If she didn't tell you the dog was blind you'd never know. :)

Had basset that was an outside dog. She did fine after going blind. Open 1 acre lot with no fence and she never left the yard. Had trails worn in the yard to food, water, doghouse, and around the perimeter of the house. She didn't have any trouble getting around and it didn't seem to bother her that she had gone blind.

I have a min pin that developed an eye infection that almost took out her tear ducts. They still work but only bearly. I have to treat her eyes two to three times a day. Because of this she has developed a cloudiness to her eyes and can barely see most of the time. Anytime anything new is introduced or something is moved, she'll raise a stink and sneak up on it, smell it for identification. She will eventually go blind, but has adapted remarkably well. She depends on me more and more and I have no problem being there for her And I hope she lives to a ripe old age. Just be there for your dog, you be surprised how much joy and love she/he will continue to bring you.

My Mother's Maltese has developed cataracts. One eye is completely opaque. Doesn't seem to bother her much. Her depth perception is off and she can't jump up in a chair any more.

When we got married my wife had a miniature poodle that eventually went blind. Didn't stop her from going outside to do her stuff, just slowed her down a little. Dogs can accept a disability much easier than we humans. Don't worry your dog will get along fine. They use their sense of smell and hearing to replace the lost eyesight. And what OLG said is so true... They love you just as much blind or deaf or lame as your other dogs do...

Archived