SASS Wire Forum

Short Barreled 1851 Navies

I have shortened my '51 Navy barrels to 4.75" so now have a really short rammers. Has anyone made an extension that does not press on the end of the rammer? I can see getting too aggressive and bending the end so the wedge will not slide out to hold the rammer in place.

Thanks in advance

Load the cylinders out of the gun... "Tower of Power" works great!

front-page-1.jpg

For a single match, you should be able to use a steele or stainless steel tube that temporarily slides over the loading lever. The loading lever is hardened and should stand some significant pressure.

Make sure that you are not using excessively large bullets.

Then our your loading stanD for the next match.

I had a pair of 5" Navies and I used a steel tube to work the loading lever, worked great until I broke the lever!! :D

I made my own cheater with a 5 inch long piece of 5/8 " diameter PVC pipe which I have wrapped with a leather strip to make it period correct!! :D I ran one end of the leather strip down inside the pipe to provide additional padding for the spring loaded latching mechanism on the end of the rammer. It works fine on my 4.5" 1851s and ROAs.

The PVC will break before the rammer bends, so you have some protection against damaging your gun.

Mike Bellivue, in his video on the Colt Wells Fargo (with no loading lever), just set the cylinder on the loading table and used a short starter from a muzzle loader to ram the balls.

I thought it was a pretty easy way to load.

I have & use a Powder Inc. cylinder loader on mine.

Another thing to consider is that a leather glove or a thick leather pad will allow you to load with the loading lever, if your balls are correctly sized.

.375 or .451 for Pietta 36s & 44s, or .380 or .454 for Ubertis.

--Dawg

Archived