SASS Wire Forum

Help with decision: buying Henry .22

I'm looking at buying a Henry 'Evil Roy' little .22

The ONLY thing I don't like about it is the large loop lever.

I would probably buy it if it had a standard lever.

Do any of you have one of these little rifles?

The barrel is octagon and short. Receiver looks and feels to be brushed aluminum.

Thanks

..........Widder

The Frontier model has the octagon barrel, standard lever. The receiver is a painted casting on almost all the models. I would imagine you could get one in the white from Henry.

Slim, does the Frontier model have the short barrel?

I really like the size of that Evil Roy with that short 16" barrel.

RUSS: Thanks for posting. VERY NICELY done. Good shooting by the Buckaroo.

..........Widder

Lever PROBABLY interchanges pretty easily. Been quite a while since i had mine apart. Receiver is a cast aluminum part, then plated, if I remember right. Action is die cast zinc with lots of plastic parts, but amazingly, they hold up pretty well.

Good luck, GJ

Marlin B,

my gunsmithing experience is usually limited to conversations with Lassiter and Curly Bill Kelly... :o

My Marlin smithing experience is more applicable just for working on our 1894's... :)

Right now, I'm trying to decide if I want to spend my money on this Henry rifle OR...send my Ruger MKII off to Volquartsen for alittle custom work.

Decisions, decisions.

Wonder if Korupt Karl will pay for BOTH of them? :)

..........Widder

Caveat: I've sold tons of but not fired Henry Repeating products.

As Michigan Slim & Garrison Joe already stated, the part IS interchangable (though only the big loop is shown on website) and the folks at Henry Customer Service will absolutely get you what you want. They are as good as Ruger at promptly satisfying customers.

FWIW, you might consider item# H001TLP. New to the catalog, they call it their Small Game Carbine and it is a new offering. Don't scratch up your receiver too much; it is PAINT. Best of luck! :)

logo-footer.png

59 East 1st Street
Bayonne, NJ 07002
Tele: 201-858-4400
Fax: 201-858-4435

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I might call the company today and ask about SWAPPING in my big loop lever for a standard.

Bama Drifter: thanks, I'll check out that NEW rifle.

..........Widder

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Widder, I have a Frontier Henry; it has an octogon bbl and it is 20 inches. Happy Pappy slicked it up for me and it shoots smooth and like a dream. Great little rifle!

Hope to see you this coming Saturday (28th) at the Ocoee Rangers shoot.

Cheers, Hoss

I have a pair of standard Henery's one a .22 S/L/LR the other a .22 Magnum with checkered stock and forearm. Great little rifles, and the magnum has planted many a woodchuck over the years. I have never had a problem with either one of them.

WELLLLLLL,

I finally bought the Henry Evil Roy edition.

If it shoots as good as it is purty, I will be a happy camper.

Thanks for all the comments.

..........Widder

WELLLLLLL,I finally bought the Henry Evil Roy edition.If it shoots as good as it is purty, I will be a happy camper.Thanks for all the comments...........Widder

What's the difference with the evil Roy version , We need pics. :)

Wish I knew how to post a pix.

The Evil Roy edition has a short OCTAGON barrel, about 16" long. PLUS, the receiver is 'silverish' looking (like brushed aluminum) and the forearm/barrel band matches.

The blueing is very nice and the wood is REAL nice. Nothing extra fancy, but real nice looking.

The ONLY thing I dislike about it is the larger loop lever. I will probably try to swap it out for a standard loop lever.

..........Widder

Wish I knew how to post a pix.

The Evil Roy edition has a short OCTAGON barrel, about 16" long. PLUS, the receiver is 'silverish' looking (like brushed aluminum) and the forearm/barrel band matches.

The blueing is very nice and the wood is REAL nice. Nothing extra fancy, but real nice looking.

The ONLY thing I dislike about it is the larger loop lever. I will probably try to swap it out for a standard loop lever.

..........Widder

I think you will be very happy. They are fantastic little rifles. I am wanting one myself after shooting my boys youth model so much.

Word of advice: DO NOT DRY FIRE as the firing pin is STAMPED metal. Should you break one, like we have, it's real simple: call Mr. Imperato up. He will send one out promptly free of charge with a new spring (at least he did for us). We broke one just before the GA State Match a few years back. I called up Henry, explained things to the owner. Offered to pay for the part and expedited shipping. Henry made no charge to us, overnight shipping included to make sure we got it in time for the match. How's that for service? The firing pin is so easy to replace, even you could do it! :P

Super service from Henry.

Howdy,

I bought the short barrel round with big loop at walmart a few years back.

Pretty sure I paid 300 for it.

I liked the big loop just for something different and found it to be fun.

Here it is years later and I haven't got around to putting on the standard one.

I like the Evil Roy setup but mine is fun accurate and fairly light weight so aint fer sail.

Maybe when it wears out, I can get the Evil Roy one....

Best

CR

CHILI,

the owner of the gunstore where I got mine told me he was able to get 2 of them and HE took one for himself.

He said that he 'thinks' the Evil Roy's might be a limited run, but wasn't sure.

Although I was hesitant in buying, its starting to grow on me and I really like it more than I thought.

..........Widder

Archived