SASS Wire Forum

Finding a shotshells wad replacement/when wad is obsolete

Flush Draw

I've been loading my bp shells (black Remington's) with a Remington Power Piston W23694. Its obsolete! Looks like they replaced it with a RPA 12. Can't find this wad either or a wad similar. Its shorter then most with a overall length of 1.410 compared to most at 1.750. Any suggestions or anybody have a box they would sell?

This is what I use, with 7/8 oz shot and a #43b (I think) powder bushing in a MEC 600, loading in AA or STS hulls.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Claybuster-CB1138-12-12ga-red-wad/productinfo/030CB12R/

This is what I use, with 7/8 oz shot and a #43b (I think) powder bushing in a MEC 600, loading in AA or STS hulls.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Claybuster-CB1138-12-12ga-red-wad/productinfo/030CB12R/

Can you tell me the oal on this wad?

Compare these Flush Draw.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Short-Shell-Wad-12ga-250_bag/productinfo/072SSW/

• Diam: .720"
  • Len: 1.424"
  • Cup depth: .852"
  • Cup style: tear-away petals

Info from http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=65105

Post #7

"The 23694 wad later was designated the RPA-12. Old literature shows it intended for use in the All-American hull (whatever that is). The OAL is 1.410" and the shotcup is 0.785"

MTC

Flush Draw,

Winchester made a wad that replaced the Rem RPA-12 wad. It was the WAA12R wad. Winchester discontinued that wad several years ago, but Claybuster makes a clone of that wad, which is the CB1138-12 wad. It is available from any of the larger Claybuster Dealers, like Gamaliel's in Kentucky. www.gamaliel.com 1-800-356-6230. This wad works very well with Black Powder loads.

RBK

How about trying the clay buster version of the hull you like. Me I prefer the remmington Sts hulls so I don't use the cb hulls.

I've been using the 072SSW wad from BPI for about 6 years now. I shoot nothing but 100%BP loads with

1 1/8 of 71/2 shot. My loads are with the Remington hulls STS or Nitro 27.

You may also use the wad from Precision Reloading which goes by the TUWGL1412 number. Same wad and

maker but the ones from Precision are white and the ones from BPI are green. They are made by Gualandi in Italy. The design was made for loading the old short 2 1/2 inch shells that were very common in the early years. My powder load is 55-60 grains with this wad. Later David

Flush Draw,

Winchester made a wad that replaced the Rem RPA-12 wad. It was the WAA12R wad. Winchester discontinued that wad several years ago, but Claybuster makes a clone of that wad, which is the CB1138-12 wad. It is available from any of the larger Claybuster Dealers, like Gamaliel's in Kentucky. www.gamaliel.com 1-800-356-6230. This wad works very well with Black Powder loads.

RBK

+1 If you go to a major match and look at the wads laying in front of the shot gun targets you will see lots of red wads. Pick one up and you will notice the part that touches the powder partially melted. These CB1138-12 wads were used by black powder shooters.

Howdy Flush Draw, Balistic Products has several short shell wads to choose from. Like Fairshake I use the BPI #072SSW for BP, it has an OAL of 1.424 and shotcup depth of .852...........and the CB Win Red wad (CB1138-12) is even shorter. The Helix Driver #18 is 1.480 with a shotcup depth of .740. Check out post #23 of this CAS City thread for the rest of my BP favs with links to BPI. Good Luck :)

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,54436.0.html

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

In my opinion, getting a good crimp is the most important thing...especially with black powder, one can tweak the powder charge and shot charge volumes a bit, up or down, to get a good crimp. A couple of grains of powder or a few pellets one way or the other from your "recipe" will never be noticed at the range.

Also, if you have a wad that is pretty close to the desired length. the collapsable cushion part of the wad offers some additional leeway. If you mash it down a fraction of an inch while making the final crimp, you should be good to go.

I would not advise deviating from the loading table data with smokeless powder shotshells, but in my experience black powder is very forgiving with respect to small variations. Especially in the lighter loads.

So that boils down to...get a replacement wad that is close, load 'em to get a good solid crimp, and go have fun.

+1 J-Bar

Adjust the power charge to make your wads work. Field loads of BP are around 70 grains. My go-to cowboy load is around 40 grains but I have had good combustion and knockdown power with as little as 35 grains if the crimps and shot column were tight.

Archived