SASS Wire Forum

Colt Company

Tom Payne 13115

I recently dealt with their customer service department. They were nothing but helpful and gracious. But I was looking for parts not custom guns.

I got a quote recently for custom Mdl Ps for my wife. They told me how long the quote was good for... and what would be required to start the process. If they're only hopin' for continued work... they didn't sound like it. On the 1911 Forum there's been some recent work shown that looks REALLY good!

I had a friend send a 1911 to customize. They had it for 2 years and never touched it. After several times calling and several different stories from Colt how it is being worked on, they are returning it untouched. Too sad.

According to a Colt's representative at the SHOT Show, they are producing 100 SAA revolvers per month off the regular production line and many less through the custom shop. Anything other than .357 or .45 must be ordered through the custom shop.

Every one here is not getting what I mean. A 1911 was sent to Colt for them to do one of their custom make overs. They had the gun for 2 years and never touched it. Several calls were made to them and several times the owner was told it was being worked on and it was 90% complete. Bottom line they were not truthful!! Now they are sending it back to him as he requested for a 2nd time!!

This is what I meant when I asked if anyone else had such a problem with Colt.

According to a Colt's representative at the SHOT Show, they are producing 100 SAA revolvers per month off the regular production line and many less through the custom shop. Anything other than .357 or .45 must be ordered through the custom shop.

I wonder who's actually making them?

I wonder who's actually making them?

Um... Colt.

They only Colts currently not being made by Colt as far as I know is the Colt Competition Rifle. The CRE-18 that I have is a great shooter it has delivered right out of the box.

I had Colt do some work a while back. They where up front about the wait time, told me it could be up to two years.

Two years huh, Reminds Me of one of the best master 45 man ever to live, Bob Day from the powderhorn gunshop in San Antonio, Texas. I had some yyears ago bought a Colt Camander 45 new in the box. I wanted a gun that I could depend on 100% of the time and I knew Bob was a master that suck a thing. I paid Bob for the 45 and ask him to customize it for me. Bevel the mag well add S&W revolver adjustable sights enlarge the port and do a trigger job and several other things.

Evertime I stopped by his shop He said He would get to it in a few days and that turned into a couple of years. Bobs wife was a small sweet lady named Betty and one day I told her Damn I wish Bob would get my 45 done, She ask long long he had had it and I told her over two years. She looked me in the face and said "He will have it for Youi in two weeks" The following week Bob calls and informed Me My gun is ready. I pick it up and take it to the range and MAN did it shoot. I carried it for several years and the day come over in Peco Country , Texas when I needed it and it send two hombres straight to hell as the devil waited for them with open arms. That was what the 45 was made for if it had to come thur for its owner sadly the 45 got stole from Me from under the front seat of my Lincoln. The Kimber Custom I carry today never saw the day it could shoot like Bob Days gun and sadly we lost Bob in a plane crash the same time as 911.

Texas Man

Um... Colt.

They only Colts currently not being made by Colt as far as I know is the Colt Competition Rifle. The CRE-18 that I have is a great shooter it has delivered right out of the box.

I had Colt do some work a while back. They where up front about the wait time, told me it could be up to two years.

Um... Uberti has been making their cap and ball revolvers for many years, so I wouldn't make any assumptions.

Um... Uberti has been making their cap and ball revolvers for many years, so I wouldn't make any assumptions.

Didn't make an assumption. I did state as far as I know. They do not list any cap and ball revolvers in their catalogs right now.

When the 2nd Gen Percussion revolvers were being produced, yes, Uberti produced the parts, shipped them to Colt who then assembled and finished them. The Signature Series were finished and assembled by Iver Johnson under contract to Colt from the same stock of parts. Other than those, and the Colt Competition ARs, Colt's firearms are produced by Colt.

When the 2nd Gen Percussion revolvers were being produced, yes, Uberti produced the parts, shipped them to Colt who then assembled and finished them. The Signature Series were finished and assembled by Iver Johnson under contract to Colt from the same stock of parts. Other than those, and the Colt Competition ARs, Colt's firearms are produced by Colt.

Cool - thanks.

I bought a new AR in October. After I got it home I noticed a 1 inch gouge down to bare metal on the upper. I called Colt and they had me ship them the rifle for refinishing under warranty. I shipped it at the end of October. They still have it and it's several weeks past when they said it would be done. When I call to ask about it they have zero answers. All they say is that they're working on it and it will be a few more weeks. When I ask them to define a few more weeks they refuse to answer definitively. It's a stock upper. They could pull one off the line and install it in about 30 seconds. Compared to Ruger and Springfield my experience with Colt's customer service has not been good.

Archived