SASS Wire Forum

Today's Gossip on the gridiron

Reading over on another venue, that the Chicago Bears MAY be interested in hiring Mike Shanahan as the head coach. After watching them play this year, they really need something. I am not sure that Mike is the answer, but hey, give the guy a chance. Over the years, that Green Bay/Chicago rivalry was fun to watch. This year, not so much. These are two teams of the hold over days of BLACK AND BLUE football, coming out of an earlier age of football.

Rumor in Chicago also has it that they are strongly interested in Gary Kubiak, as well as Denver's offensive coordinator, and Arizona's defensive coordinator. Speculation is that a strong interest in Kubiak means no interest in trying to trade/cut Cutler. I certainly would like to see a return to the Black-and-Blue days, at least on defense! Sure would be nice to see Rodgers, Cutler, Stafford, and Bridgewater have to earn their keep in the face of a decent pass rush...Gee, am I dropping a hint as to which side of the ball I played on?

CS

Rumor in Chicago also has it that they are strongly interested in Gary Kubiak, as well as Denver's offensive coordinator, and Arizona's defensive coordinator. Speculation is that a strong interest in Kubiak means no interest in trying to trade/cut Cutler. I certainly would like to see a return to the Black-and-Blue days, at least on defense! Sure would be nice to see Rodgers, Cutler, Stafford, and Bridgewater have to earn their keep in the face of a decent pass rush...Gee, am I dropping a hint as to which side of the ball I played on?

CS

Hey, Count!

Having watched Chicago's O line the last couple of years, I say that Cutler has earned his keep in that respect. When he played for Denver he had a terrible O line, and when he got to Chicago I think they brought Denver's line in with him!! :lol:

Chicago should draft and trade for quality offensive linemen and real pass rushers on defense. And what happened to Earl Bennet? He was clutch 'til they move him down to the third option and finally out of the game!

I have no idea if Mike Shanahan is the man for the job. They pay some folks a lot of bucks to make

those decision, and it is way above my pay grade. But I do know that Chicago needs to make some

changes, for sure, for sure. I am not knocking the Bears, but their performance on the field is an

indictment in it's own right. It seems that the NFL likes to recycle old coaches regardless of their

record or no. Mike has some pretty impressive wins in his book, but they were long ago and far away in another galaxie. His tenure at Washington was less than impressive. He seemed to have lost his MOJO in the latter years at Denver. I suspect that John Elway had a lot more to do with the Bronco's win/loss record than Mike did.

With the regular season over and the post season almost over, I look for a lot of coaches to be moving from team to team, in an attempt to either keep a job on the sidelines or improve their job on the side lines.

There are some pretty impressive coaches in the College ranks, but it is difficult to advance to the NFL from the NCAAF, but some have made it.

I would expect Adam Gase to leave Denver (unless they boot Fox and put Gase in). Chicago is a possibility.

I heard a rumor through the talking heads that Fox might leave. Also heard a rumor about Jack Del Rio might be leaving also. I think Jack did a bang up job of coaching the Broncs while Fox was in recovery last year.

Rumors, rumors, rumors. Flying like ducks off the pond.

I heard a rumor through the talking heads that Fox might leave. Also heard a rumor about Jack Del Rio might be leaving also. I think Jack did a bang up job of coaching the Broncs while Fox was in recovery last year.

Rumors, rumors, rumors. Flying like ducks off the pond.

The rumors about Del Rio have been very prominent. I don't expect to see him stay in Denver until the snow melts. In fact, he may be gone before the next storm.

Well, he has had a checkered past in the NFL but he seemed to do well at Denver.

Don't quite know what the shower room temperature is in Denver, but apparently

there is an undercurrent of discontent brewing there.

Given that most of the stadiums are filled on game day, I doubt that there will be

much to change the NFL in the near future. I see where Los Angles is trying to lure

the Rams back home with a new multimillion dollar stadium, Taxpayer expense

of course, and that St. Louis has come back with plans for a new Taxpayer stadium

for their team, who ever that may be. That Taxpayer guy must be rich.

Hey, Count!

Having watched Chicago's O line the last couple of years, I say that Cutler has earned his keep in that respect. When he played for Denver he had a terrible O line, and when he got to Chicago I think they brought Denver's line in with him!! :lol:Perhaps the 2nd stringers, anyway...

Chicago should draft and trade for quality offensive linemen and real pass rushers on defense. And what happened to Earl Bennet? He was clutch 'til they move him down to the third option and finally out of the game! That was the work of Marc Trestman, the offensive "genius" who couldn't seem to get the idea that having a 30-points-per-game offense does no good if you also have a 50-points-per-game defense...you may read the word "offensive" with the accent on the 2nd syllable...

CS

Mike McCoy is SD head coach.

Mike McCoy is SD head coach.

Right, Gase is Denver. My bad. Got used to McCoy. Too bad he left.

I heard speculation that Peyton was leaving?

Peyton is pretty beat up right now. Perhaps now is a good time to move on.

I am certain that he doesn't need the $$$$s and health is much more important

than public adulation and $$$$$s. He is no youngster either. Old bones will

break faster than younger bones.

I heard speculation that Payton was leaving?

He said no but that was last week. If he goes, it will be into retirement I suspect, not to another team, at least as a player.

That was the work of Marc Trestman, the offensive "genius" who couldn't seem to get the idea that having a 30-points-per-game offense does no good if you also have a 50-points-per-game defense...you may read the word "offensive" with the accent on the 2nd syllable...

CS

You're right there, Count! Don Coryell was another one who never figured that out. Offense will win games, but Defense wins Championships. Trestman doesn't understand that the O and D lines are what the rest of the game is built on.

Los Angeles should lure the Bears from Chicago not the Rams from St. Louis. The Bears play in a crappy stadium, the city and the ownership each think the other should pay for a new one and have been fighting about it since 1950. Ownership has no concern for the players or the fans and is more interested in making money than winning a football game. Good coaches can't win with unhappy players and for whatever reason nobody ever seems happy in the Bears camp, probably because of the owners lack of caring. Keep in mind that the Bears just won a championship 30 years ago and in Chicago where it's been more than 100 years for the Cubs 30 years is like yesterday.

Fox is gone. Peyton has said he's not ready to commit to another year at Denver.

Rumor is Mc Daniels and Tebow are coming back!!

I started it. :D

That idiot Elway could do worse!! :rolleyes::lol::lol:

Sure as hell didn't take 'em long to self destruct, did it? <_<

BD, I agree wit tha part bout Elway bein' a idjit....but dunt yu gots an old fart's birthday ta go celebrate??? <_<

Well the news here certainly makes it easier to celebrate........

Hate it for you though....................................................sort of.

IMHO, Gary Kubiak would be a good fit. He's got head coaching experience, not successful but he knows what it's about. The bigger question, I believe is what about Peyton? If he retires who's next in line? There are a lot of coaches out there but very few quality QB's lookin for work.

IMHO, Gary Kubiak would be a good fit. He's got head coaching experience, not successful but he knows what it's about. The bigger question, I believe is what about Peyton? If he retires who's next in line? There are a lot of coaches out there but very few quality QB's lookin for work.

Kubiak would be good. But Elway had a chance to hire him before and went with Fox.

They revealed this afternoon that Manning has been playing with a torn quad since the SD game. That explains some things.

Whatever Manning's problem was, it showed in his game. He was certainly not the
Manning of past years. Not my call to make, but I am thiinking that moving away from

playing might be a smart move for his body.

Whatever Manning's problem was, it showed in his game. He was certainly not the

Manning of past years. Not my call to make, but I am thiinking that moving away from

playing might be a smart move for his body.

He was superb until that quad tear. I suspect that was the problem with his passes the past few weeks. It'll be interesting to see what he decides. He certainly doesn't need the money

Archived