SASS Wire Forum

Back in the sport

Mariner

Hi all,

Well I joined SASS about 5 years ago and then immediately had to have a couple of shoulder surgeries and basically dropped out. I am wanting to get back in and having sold my rifle and shotgun, never having bought my pistols yet. what would you recommend for replacements for each if you had to work on a budget (read that I am cheap). I will most assuredly be getting a 20 gauge shotgun as my shoulders don't like a 12 gauge anymore. But what is out there now for pistols, rifles and shotguns that don't cost a great deal. I am not expecting to be a top gun player and do this for the fun of it, so I don't need top of the line guns. So what suggestions can you all give me.

Thanks

Mariner

You may find that 20ga SG kicks more than the light 12ga loads you can buy. The 20ga guns are usually lighter.

CR

First. Look used.

Might can find a good deal there.

If on a tight budget, and going new. As bad as I would hate it.

A 92 with proper action done by someone that knows what they are doing with them.

Shotgun? Rethink that 20. A 12 with the proper loads can be better in my opinion.

And with shoulder problems. Make sure it FITS you properly. AND look for the right

recoil pads and recoil system.

Spend a little more here. But if you have shoulder problems. It should be worth it.

Even the top gun players do this for the fun of it. ;)

Braztech/Rossi 1892's are under $500, but need a little smoothing up to be pleasurable to shoot. I picked up a NIB .44 mag earlier this year for $397, shipped. Marlin 1894C's are showing up again and priced under $600.

Buy a 12g and shoot Winchester Featherlites or load up some light handloads.

The least expensive guns are going to be C&B's, but that's not everyone's cup o' tea.

Rick is correct, the 12 ga will, with the proper loads, shoot lighter than a 20 because of the weight. There are always handguns and rifles for sale on the classifieds and the prices are usually pretty good. The type of each to buy depends on you. If you're not looking to set speed records a '92 rifle and a couple of used Ubertis will do. If you want value and durability you might look at a pair of Ruger revolvers. No matter what you buy be prepared for sticker shock. Most stuff hasn't gotten any cheaper over the past five years.

Good luck.

When I have my shoulder worked on.Rotator cuff,bisept and bisept tendon.I had a recoil system put in my 12 by Miss Cubbie's hubby so I could shoot my 12 ga.It takes most of the felt recoil out of the 12.

There is a great deal more options in 12-gage ammo on most store shelves than 20-ga. 7/8 or 1 ounce loads for clays (Remignton Gunclub or STS or Winchester Featherlite AAs) are good low-recoil options.

The Rossi 92 is the best option for under $500. Chaparral 1873s and US-made Henrys do not run well in CAS. Never pass on a good old Marlin marked JM on the barrel. These can still be found on used shelves.

Welcome back.

Welcome back!

Gko to a match and try different guns. The 92 is fun and lighter than most rifles. Not real fast but still fun and can be moderately quick.

As to shotgun, consider the 12 as mentioned both due to weight and that 20 gauge seems to be a "snapper" recoil.

Also, definitely try a 97 pump as well as a SxS.

• The 97 generally has less felt recoil
  • And (if you can manage the pump action) is less stress on shoulders.

That is because the pump is held steady while your work it. With the SxS you have to be moving the entire gun up and down to load and unload. And the less expensive SxS guns are relatively heavy.

On a budget some SAA clones, a 92 & cheap SxS. But to last Rugers, a jap win 73 and a baikal or better SxS. A12ga light load will have little recoil if you have a heavy SxS and if needed you can add mercury reducers

Were I you (didn't catch which shoulder, but it doesn't matter), I would probably use a side by side shotgun, not because of recoil issues, but because there's less working of the shoulders in loading and firing. As stated, low recoil ammo is easier to find in 12 gauge. Long run economics are (to me) to buy a new Win73 carbine wit 18" barrel in .357Mag (short bbl better for shoulder) and Uberti or Ruger revolvers in .357Mag. As you must know, .38 Special is about the least expensive ammo to reload and shoot.

Wow a long day at work on the tugboat and I got so many great reply's. I thought that recoil reducers were not allowed, but obviously I was mistaken. I will probably get another 12 with good recoil system on it. I had both shoulders worked on (completely tore both rotator cuffs in half)but movement isn't a real problem just recoil. Thanks for all the great suggestions, I will be checking out a new club when I get home, (old club is gone).

Archived