SASS Wire Forum

Brother from "Car Talk" passed away today...

Another milestone passed...still on in replay 2 hrs per day in Austin...they are a hoot...dang.. sad to hear it...Jim

They hooked me years ago, when they told a man who ran his motor with the plug out and oil filter off to get that last drop of dirty oil out the that little blinking red light was named after him. Grand memories GW

It's practically the only show on NPR that I listen to. What a loss, so sad…. he seemed like a genuine nice guy! Rest in peace Tom. :(

"Car Talk" is my absolute favorite show on public radio. I was very sad to hear of the brother passing. I have never heard two people have so much genuine fun ! They had their dad on the show one time & they all sounded alike. Must have been great fun being in that family.

"Honor To Whom Honor Due"

I scheduled many a Saturday morning around being in the car to hear those brothers.

Best story I ever heard was a lady who inherited her father's 1953 Corvette. She wanted some of Dad's ashes in the car as a reminder. One of the brothers suggested putting a small amount of ashes in a container and the container in a place that would be infrequently accessed, like inside the hubcap. The other brother said that Dada would get dizzy and suggested a local jeweler to make a small metal box and the box to be stored in the ashtray, since no one in the family smoked. He suggested engraving the box that those were not cigarette ashes to be discarded.

Archived