SASS Wire Forum

1886 Cimarron Rifle

Rye Miles #13621

Hey Cryder, the reason I'm leaning towards the 86 is because of the .45-70 round. The 76 is not made in .45-70 as far as I know. .45-70 ammo is readily available and really easy to reload. Just my take.

Rye

Aww heck rye i love doing things the hard way, that's why we shoot black ain't it?. Not really all that hard to make brass from 45-70 and the cut down a crimp die from 45-70, already got a mould for a 300gr bullet. Just having a little difficulty finding a 76 (uberti) and then coming off the gold . Lol

I've got one of the the 26" limited production Miroku Brownings released in 1986. It has the half-cock and no silly safeties or rebounding hammers. I think these are the Holy Grail of the reproductions-they're out there.

Had one of the Browning carbines a few years back. Well made , very slick , good wood. But , call me wussy if you want to , that sucker was just brutal with anything approaching full loads. Had the same problem with a Marlin. Only 45-70 I was ever able to shoot much was a 12 # Sharps.

They are beauties , though. Maybe my favorite Winchester for looks alone.

Good luck , Rex :D

Hi Rye, I have a Chiappa 1886 that will bring up tomorrow for you to look at. No, it is not for sale.

Lookin' forward to seeing it, thanks Rye ;)

I have not seen the Cimmarron reproduction, so I can't comment on it, but I do have an orginal 86 with a 20" octagon barrel. (I think it was cut.)

It is a sweet shooter, but a word to the wise, even "trapdoor safe" .45-70 loads can kick like a mule. Staying with the 405 grain bullet, I switched powders and suddenly it was not at all nasty on the shoulder, but would still reach out an hit the gong at 300 yards. Keep than in mind; shooting should be fun, not painful.

Lassiter brought his rifle for me to see, a Chiappa by Armi Sport. Nice!!! Of course he slicked it up and it works great! I gotta git one now!!

Rye :)

Thanks again Lassiter! ;)

Rye when I get back in country, I'll let you try mine... Turnbull manufactured 1886, shotgun butt, 36 inch octagon barrel in 50-110 Winchester. I had it made with the extra long barrel for the Desparadoville shoot'em if ya got'em days. It holds 10 + 1 50-110's... and YES I shoot it with Holy Black!!turnbull50-110021_zpseb2bf6d5.jpg

I have a 1886 Miroku Winchester in 45-70 and a Uberti 1876 in 50-95. They both work great but I like the action on the 1876 better.

Archived