SASS Wire Forum

400 bullets, 17 grenades, a mine and a tripod

Subdeacon Joe

"Conspicuous Gallantry" indeed.

auto-197776.jpeg

"

Cpl Pun, from the 1st Battalion the Royal Gurkha Rifles, was presented with the CGC during an investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace, during which a number of other soldiers were recognised for their bravery.

Speaking after receiving the honour from the Queen, the Gurkha said: 'I'm very excited and happy to here in the Palace to receive the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross. This will be a great memory for the future.'

The soldier fired more than 400 rounds, launched 17 grenades and detonated a mine to thwart the Taliban assault on his checkpoint near Babaji in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan, last September.

At one point, after exhausting all his ammunition, he had to use the tripod of his machine gun to beat away a militant who was climbing the walls of the compound."

Those Gurkas are tough little guys. Wonder if he had his kukri with him? :blush:

Guaranteed!

Those Gurkas are tough little guys. Wonder if he had his kukri with him? :blush:

I remember reading about a Gurka unit searving in North Africa in WWII. The Germans were absolutely terrified of them. It seems that when the Gurkas went out on nightly patrols they would return to base with pouches full of ears taken off the Germans they had encountered. Tough guys indeed!

I remember reading a similar story about American Indians (can't remember the tribe) serving in WW1. They would go out hunting at night and take german scalps.

I've also heard stories from people who served alongside gurhkas, and I've got nothing but respect for them. I like how this guy got the 2nd highest honor available. I wonder what it takes to get the highest one.

I remember reading a similar story about American Indians (can't remember the tribe) serving in WW1. They would go out hunting at night and take german scalps. I've also heard stories from people who served alongside gurhkas, and I've got nothing but respect for them. I like how this guy got the 2nd highest honor available. I wonder what it takes to get the highest one.

Maybe if he brought back their heads...

Maybe if he brought back their heads...

Some guys got in trouble for that a while back. Simply won't do, old boy. Not cricket you know.

I remember reading a similar story about American Indians (can't remember the tribe) serving in WW1. They would go out hunting at night and take german scalps. I've also heard stories from people who served alongside gurhkas, and I've got nothing but respect for them. I like how this guy got the 2nd highest honor available. I wonder what it takes to get the highest one.

Probably need to be wounded or rescue someone under fire

Guaranteed!

Actually no, I read another article where he said he had left it in the barracks, probably why he resorted to the MG tripod

Here's a Gurkha who earned the VC:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/gurkha-obituaries/8199764/Havildar-Lachhiman-Gurung-VC.html

His physical and moral courage is incredible

Actually no, I read another article where he said he had left it in the barracks, probably why he resorted to the MG tripod

LEFT IT IN THE BARRACKS??

Bet he won't do that ever again.

My Uncle told me of the Ghurkas during WWll. He really said very little about the war, but if you listened long enough you could get little piece. He told me you could in your fox hole at night and suddenly feel a hand in side your blouse, if you had dog tags you never saw them or heard them leave. He said he felt sorry for the poor SOB that didn't have dog tags. They were by all accounts ferocious fighters.

Archived