SASS Wire Forum

Removed from the gene pool

Saw that very thing occur in the early '60s on Okinawa. Rice farmer found a 155 shell and took it home to dismantle. Took out over half of his village along with many folks.

Heard about that yesterday on the radio. Seems there were some taken out of the gene pool collaterally.

True story:

A buddy and I were quail hunting on Ft Bliss. We came across a WWII 500-pound bomb that had the nose sticking out of the ground at about a 30 degree angle. Folks, there were bullet lead splats that appeared to be from a .22 on the bomb nose and detonator!

We contacted EOD and led them to the bomb. EOD put a shape charge on the bomb and we all backed way off and detonated the shape charge. Bomb turned out to be a dummy, but time had removed all markings so we had no idea.

What kind of a nut would shoot at the detonator of a bomb???

That sort of thing used to happen fairly often in the P.I. in the '60's, and probably still does today. Filipinos would find unexploded ordnance from WWII, and dismantle them for the explosive charges, which they would use to make homemade fireworks. Sometimes they were successful, sometimes not.

Saw that very thing occur in the early '60s on Okinawa. Rice farmer found a 155 shell and took it home to dismantle. Took out over half of his village along with many folks.

I was on Okinawa from early '66 to late '68 and went back for five months in '74. There was live ammo all over that rock.

EOD used to run TV and radio ads about not touching the stuff,and a couple of times a year they'd take a bunch of it up toward Nago and blow it up for the cameras. Most of it was found my military brats poking around in caves. They'd find it a take it home until Mom found it and called the fire department or EOD.

Construction crews dug up a lot, too.

Well, judging by the pictures they do have a lot more scrap metal to process...

Mad Dog Jack. . . . you want to clean the spew off of my keyboard ? :huh::o I was eating breakfast eggs . . . . but I do like your comment :)

hey MDJ

Not to hijack the thread, but whatever happened to Bad Gene Poole? Is he still shooting? I always thought his alias was inspired!

Archived