SASS Wire Forum

First Time Shoot Questions - Headed to Pawnee Station

Skid Roper

Well it finally stopped snowing every Saturday here in northern Colorado, and I just happen to have this Saturday off, so I'm headed up to Great Guns in Nunn to shoot cowboy for the 1st time. I do have a question or two, though, and not having any luck finding a contact on the Pawnee website, figured one of you good folks here could answer my "noob" questions:

1. Do I need to be a member of the Pawnee Station to shoot the 1st time?

2. How many stages should I plan for?

3. I do not have a gun cart. I do have my young son's red wagon. Do the guns need to be carried vertically or will the wagon work for now?

4. I have boots, pants and a shirt, but no hat yet. Will I need a hat?

I sure do appreciate any answers I get, and can't wait for Saturday to get here.

Thanks again,

Brett

1. No

2.5 or 6

3. Depends on the club. Vertical is better. I've seen golf bags or a two-wheel dolly with a milk crate or box bungee-corded on the bottom used.

4. Of course, a cowboy needs a hat! Get a cheap straw hat at Wal-mart or borrow one.

Good luck and have fun!

I posted on the Drivel thread and told him to clean out his inbox.

You also might try messaging Grizzly Dave through his youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GrizzlyDaveCowboy

If you look at the Colorado State Championship Flyer the match directors email is: dgbishop55@digis.net

Hey, beat up hats are even better! Besides, you will get more hats in the future, trust me.

+1

Somehow Hats and Cap N' Ball revolvers just magically appear around here.

Well, you don't have to pick a permanent one yet. You can always try a few to see which one sticks. You'll have a good time and meet lots of great people. I've never been involved in anything else where I have met better folks.

Word of caution, if you don't have an alias yet, MAKE one up before getting to the match.

It's easier to change one you made up than the alternative.

I can assure you that by the time the match is over the others will have given you an alias you may never be able to change or live down.

Well it finally stopped snowing every Saturday here in northern Colorado, and I just happen to have this Saturday off, so I'm headed up to Great Guns in Nunn to shoot cowboy for the 1st time. I do have a question or two, though, and not having any luck finding a contact on the Pawnee website, figured one of you good folks here could answer my "noob" questions:

1. Do I need to be a member of the Pawnee Station to shoot the 1st time?

2. How many stages should I plan for?

3. I do not have a gun cart. I do have my young son's red wagon. Do the guns need to be carried vertically or will the wagon work for now?

4. I have boots, pants and a shirt, but no hat yet. Will I need a hat?

I sure do appreciate any answers I get, and can't wait for Saturday to get here.

Thanks again,

Brett

Brett, sorry for the delay and my inbox being full, I cleaned it out a bit.

No, no need to be a member of Pawnee Station or Great Guns to be able to shoot. When you get to great guns stop at the office and pay your match fee and sign the waiver, they will direct you to the cowboy range, most likely you'll be able to follow another cowboy shooter there, though it's not hard to find.

Winter time we usually shoot 5, summer 6, so plan for 6 just in case.

Gun cart - vertical is preferred but not required, if you are going to use the wagon bring cases for the long guns. Most likely you will be able to find someone to share space in a gun cart with you. I know for the annual they have loaner carts, not sure if they are stored at the range or not, might ask at the shack when you sign up for a posse.

Don't need a hat, but I think you'll want one, even with cool temps you can sun burn your noggin.

After you get to the cowboy range check in at the shack to sign up for a posse, let them know it's your first time and they'll hook you up with someone to show you the ropes and give you a quick orientation before the match. If he's there, it will likely be GW Ryder, he's a great guy.

If ya have more questions, let me know!

See you Saturday.

Grizz

Welcome Brett, and THIS:

I can assure you that by the time the match is over the others will have given you an alias you may never be able to change or live down.

:)

BrettS. Hey give me a call I will be up there on sat. I could bring you a cart to use. just need to

let me know. would be happy to answer any more of your questions you might have. 303-748-6149. I live

Platteville so give me a call. I am off work everyday by 4:15. have a great day

Hey there...Slickbald and I (Velvet) will be there on Saturday, too. We're all super friendly and I'll try to say hi to you...or maybe it's easier for you to recognize us. I've been told I'm easy to ID by looking for my bright red lipstick, ginormous straw hat, and bling-y gunbelt rig. Slickbald usually has a black top hat with a skull headband. And a handlebar mustache (him, not me).

Lodan-- looking forward to seeing you and YB. Grizzly -- looking forward to seeing you too. Ought to be a gorgeous day to put some lead downrange. :-)

Don't know if every club does it or not, but my local club had a "posse with" block on the sign in sheet that I was clueless about how to fill out.

Apparently if you're friends with someone and want to shoot with them you put their alias in there and the match director will try to put y'all on the same posse.

So keep that in mind and maybe you'll be able to follow one of these fine folks around and bother them!

Tom - for monthly matches we use an open posse sign up, write your name on whatever sheet you want until it gets full. Only difference for a first time shooter would be to posse with a mentor.

Gotcha. I'm new too, thought that was cool when I saw it there, and figured it might make another new guy feel a little better to shoot with someone he'd "talked to" before.

Lodan, I just came in from the garage after doing some math: dolly + milk crate + zip ties + 1/2 gun rack = gun cart. Then I see your post. Thanks for the offer, do appreciate it but I suppose I'll roll this jalopy out there this weekend.

Every one: thanks for the welcomes and tips, look forward to meeting you all and making some memories.

All the best,

Brett

Thanks Doc, I have a hat, it's beat up pretty good and fairly shameful, but if that's all I need I will (reluctantly) sport it.

Hat is highly recomended as it will keep the hot brass from falling down inside your shirt. :D

Brett, my husband Buick and I should be there as well, would love to meet you! Pawnee is a great place to shoot and there's some really wonderful people there, you'll have a great time!

Thanks Doc, I have a hat, it's beat up pretty good and fairly shameful, but if that's all I need I will (reluctantly) sport it.

Beat up means it has character. A pard that I often shoot with has a hat that was too hot for him a couple of summers ago so he ventalated it with his shotgun. He still wears it 'cuz it has character.

Hat is highly recomended as it will keep the hot brass from falling down inside your shirt. :D

That's more important for the ladies. ;)

A pard that I often shoot with has a hat that was too hot for him a couple of summers ago so he ventalated it with his shotgun. He still wears it 'cuz it has character.

The proper response, should someone ask what happened to that hat, is "I was having a bad day. But you should see the other guy!"

The proper response, should someone ask what happened to that hat, is "I was having a bad day. But you should see the other guy!"

I like that. I'll pass it on to him. ;)

BTW, Nice cart Brett. Shows initiative and creativity. I like it.

im in complete agreement on your cart there is plenty of time to "evolve" into the one you will end up using the rest of your life , just go to have fun and you cannot miss with all the fine folks that have said they will be there to enjoy it with you ,

Guest Maker-Wright

BrettS,

I'm certain you'll be well cared for at Pawnee... But a word of caution... that "Maker-Wright" guy is likely to be there. He's irritating, got a real dry sense of humor, but he's always glad to help whenever he can.

If you wind up on his posse, and he starts givin' you a hard time, just throw it back at him twice as hard... and you'll do fine. He likes that.

Better yet, Brett....if that trouble maker Maker-Wright gives you a hard time, just find me, Calico Mary....I'll take care of that little stinker for ya!! He knows better than to mess with me.... ;):D:D :D

Guest Maker-Wright

Better yet, Brett....if that trouble maker Maker-Wright gives you a hard time, just find me, Calico Mary....I'll take care of that little stinker for ya!! He knows better than to mess with me.... ;):D:D :D

UH-OH... once again I'm in trouble and haven't even shown up yet...

See Y'all Saturday, and Welcome Brett!

And watch out for Grizzly Dave!!! He'll take a video of you, photoshop it so you look like a 13-year-old pioneer girl and put it up on YouTube!

...no, really!

Wolf Bane, who'll unfortunately be in Texas for this match

SASS13557

Dang it Bane, ain't seen you or Indiana in ages, I owe ya both a hug.

Archived