SASS Wire Forum

Pork Mush

Subdeacon Joe

Joe, I was brought up eating scrapple at least once a week. Sliced thin and fried, usually with fried or scrambled eggs on the side. Most of the time that would be Sunday supper.

Today, I can't stand to be in the same room when it's cooking, much less eat it. It figures I'm married to a woman that loves the stuff and cooks it regularly! :) I must have been very bad in a previous life!

Howdy:

Scrapple ain't bad. I prefer Goetta that you find in Cincinnati. It is really a variant of scrapple, the difference being the use of oats rather than corn meal as a filler. It looks ugly, smells good and is quite tasty. Goetta and eggs - fir for a king, eaten by peasants and enjoyed by them. Yumm

STL Suom

While goetta comes in a variety of forms, all goetta is based around ground meat combined with pin head or steel cut oats. Usually goetta is made from pork shoulder or "Cali", but occasionally contains equal parts pork and beef. Goetta is typically flavored with bay leaves, rosemary, salt, pepper, and thyme. It contains onions and sometimes other vegetables.

While similar to scrapple in that it contains a grain product and meat for the purpose of stretching out the meat over several days, goetta looks very different. Scrapple is made with cornmeal while goetta uses steel-cut or chopped oats.[2] The oats in goetta are much coarser than the fine powder used in scrapple and add texture to the dish.

Joe, I was brought up eating scrapple at least once a week. Sliced thin and fried, usually with fried or scrambled eggs on the side. Most of the time that would be Sunday supper.

Today, I can't stand to be in the same room when it's cooking, much less eat it. It figures I'm married to a woman that loves the stuff and cooks it regularly! :)I must have been very bad in a previous life!

Why limit yourself to only a previous life?

Howdy:

Scrapple ain't bad. I prefer Goetta that you find in Cincinnati. It is really a variant of scrapple, the difference being the use of oats rather than corn meal as a filler. It looks ugly, smells good and is quite tasty. Goetta and eggs - fir for a king, eaten by peasants and enjoyed by them. Yumm

STL Suom

While goetta comes in a variety of forms, all goetta is based around ground meat combined with pin head or steel cut oats. Usually goetta is made from pork shoulder or "Cali", but occasionally contains equal parts pork and beef. Goetta is typically flavored with bay leaves, rosemary, salt, pepper, and thyme. It contains onions and sometimes other vegetables.

While similar to scrapple in that it contains a grain product and meat for the purpose of stretching out the meat over several days, goetta looks very different. Scrapple is made with cornmeal while goetta uses steel-cut or chopped oats.[2] The oats in goetta are much coarser than the fine powder used in scrapple and add texture to the dish.

Hmmm....I might have to give this a try. Although the steel cut oats are considerably more expensive than cornmeal.

Today, I can't stand to be in the same room when it's cooking, much less eat it. It figures I'm married to a woman that loves the stuff and cooks it regularly! :)I must have been very bad in a previous life!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. PREVIOUS LIFE?

What about this one....?

First time I ever heard of that stuff, my Daddy was tellin' me a story about a guy he roomed with in the Navy. Yankee.

Daddy made up a pot of grits one morning, and the Yankee turned his nose up at 'em. So Daddy took the leftovers, crumbled up the leftover sausage and stirred it in. Poured it in a loaf pan and stuck it in the fridge.

Next morning he turned it out, sliced it and fried it and put it on the table with a bottle of sorghum.

The Yankee says, "Scrapple! Yummy", and scarfed it down.

Howdy:

++1 on Goetta

It is a favorite breakfast around my house, I usually make several batches per year. I slightly modify the original recipe that is on the back of the Dorsel's Pinhead Oatmeal bag to enhance the flavor:

• 8 cups water (I start with (3) cans of Campbell's Beef Bullion included in the 8 cups)
  • 2 1/2 cups pinhead oatmeal
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • Pinch pepper
  • 1 pound each ground beef and pork (instead of just ground pork, I use my favorite variety of packaged pork sausage.)
  • 1 large onion, sliced (prefer diced)
  • 4 large bay leaves (using seasoned pork sausage, I skip the bay leaves)

Heat water to boiling and add the salt, pepper and oatmeal. Cook for 2 hours, covered over low heat. Stir often. Stir in the meat, onion and bay leaf. Cook 1 hour more. (I cook for 2 hours more, as it stays firmer when fried) Press into loaf pans and chill. Slice and fry to serve.

Fried up on a cast iron griddle, in a bit of bacon fat, with a couple of eggs over easy with toast...life is good! :P

My grandfather would make a batch of cornmeal mush, salt pepper and cornmeal. Eat it fresh with cream and sugar and put the leftovers in a loaf pan to set up to be fried and served with black strap molasses and butter the next day.

I thought I was eating like a king.

Gonna make a batch this weekend. Think I will add the meats and seasonings.

First time I ever heard of that stuff, my Daddy was tellin' me a story about a guy he roomed with in the Navy. Yankee.

Daddy made up a pot of grits one morning, and the Yankee turned his nose up at 'em. So Daddy took the leftovers, crumbled up the leftover sausage and stirred it in. Poured it in a loaf pan and stuck it in the fridge.

Next morning he turned it out, sliced it and fried it and put it on the table with a bottle of sorghum.

The Yankee says, "Scrapple! Yummy", and scarfed it down.

Now plain old cornmeal mush I'm not big on. Nor do I care for polenta....as mush. But let 'em set up, slice, season, and fry, and that's good eatin'.

On the other hand, I do like Indian Pudding. Which is basically cornmeal mush made with milk and molasses. Go figure.

Today, I can't stand to be in the same room when it's cooking, much less eat it. It figures I'm married to a woman that loves the stuff and cooks it regularly! :) I must have been very bad in a previous life!

Not sure it was a previous life, might have been this one or even the next couple!

Well, that didn't work!

Used hot pork sausage, jalapeno spam, beef scraps. didn't have the buckwheat so used more corn meal instead.

Hotter than I expected and too salty to eat. put it out for the birds to eat.

Well, that didn't work!

Used hot pork sausage, jalapeno spam, beef scraps. didn't have the buckwheat so used more corn meal instead.

Hotter than I expected and too salty to eat. put it out for the birds to eat.

The Spam is what made it too salty, I think. If you use it, leave out all other salt. For the sausage, I use a mix of half mild half hot. Never had jalapeno Spam, so I have no idea how hot it is.

I'm always a bit cautious with "hot" sausage and hot links. Some are just mildly spicy, some will take your head off with hot.

The heat I could handle, the salt, no.

Archived