SASS Wire Forum

Fools' Gold

Cody , woke me to take mid watch , , I had slept pretty hard , despite the dreams

the moon had a red glow to it for a short time , a dust storm , this time of year ? maybe it was just I was too tired

we would hit town tommarow , so I figured I would let Bama sleep , he had been feelin a tad under the weather as of late

The Col , had put Bama in charge of the wagons , but Cody and I had traded off being the lead wagon ,

Hopefully Bama , would be back to his old self , with a bit of rest

I had to find the little knife , it would cuase a lot of trouble , IF , it found someone that was gullable , it would seek out men that were unrespectful

of ladys , I knew a way to break it's hold on the women , it took over , IF , I could find it in time

reckin I should destroy it , BUT , it was the last link to whom , I had made it for , there was a bunch of sage near camp , so I gathered some

this ortta do the trick , maybe ,

As it started to lighten in the east , I started to get the teams ready , I already had coffee cookin as I woke the others

Should be an easy ride into town ,

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After the others were all asleep, I went out on the balcony and surveyed the area. From the railing to the roof was a fairly easy distance to cover, and the hotel roof stopped about 8 feet higher than the neighboring hardware store. A man on the run could make it from here clean to the second floor of the saloon. On the night air I caught the smell of refried beans, chile peppers and warm tortillias.

I'd have to find the mexican side of town in the morning and begin eating the local fare again. Then again, the Senioritas might still be out and about. Cleaned up andI went for a walk to see if I might find a dark haired beauty to amuse my soul,

I went into my room and stripped off my buckskin shirt and skinned off my rig and my scalping knife from my right moccasin boot top, but left my fighting knife in my left moccasin boot top and crawled into bed. Sa I lay there, I stared up at the smoke stain ceiling.....counting the bullet holes that where there. "First class place here. Wash basin with no water......basin busted.......mirror bout as dirty as the street out side....least the whiskey and the steak across the street was good . And the damn feather and rope bed ! If it was a critter, I'd shoot and kill it ! " I thought to my self.

He heard a noise outside my dirty window and came to realize that the clerk and given me this room cause I was a breed. Well, I was just going to have to teach the youngster the error of his ways come day break and hope he services will be needed later that day, if he was able. I went to the window, cleaned it with my hand and just caught a glimpse of what looked like some wagons rolling into town. "Got to be Red and them boys !" I thought and took it upon myself to get down there and welcome them into town.

That's when I met Tom coming down the hallway, full dressed, with a rifle in his hands. Now if you where a breed like me, seeing a white man, full dressed, walking toward you with a frown on his face with a rifle in his hand, and me, a breed who had only a buckskin pants on, with no guns and only a knife......knowing the out come is not in you're favor, well.......it makes a red man kinda jumpy, to say the least. And that scared the hell out of Tom. I'm mighty lucky Tom didn't get all excited on me and blow my head off right there.

We went into my palace of a room and Tom told me about the lazy S double D brand we had seen on those mounts. I knew what he was talking about and I wanted so bad to have a crack at those boys. Seem that when they started that outfit up there, they rounded up every head of cattle they could find and re branded them with their own brands. Then when their merged, they merged their brands into one. And it just so happens I know some who who hates that outfit more than my Creator hate the Devil who lives there.......and she's crazy and will only talk to me.......no one else !

as we rolled into town , I got the inpression , all was not well

I was making a list , as to what was needed for supplys , figured I would get em as soon as the teams and wagons were taken care of

I was a bit off , on how long it tooks us to get into town , we was closer than , I had thought

the livery man , was still mostly asleep , and grummbled , when I told him all the wagons were to have the bearings re greased and he had better not

just put some grease on top of em , to say it was done properly , I would be back to help do it after I had picked up the supplys ,

I looked around to see no one was open , so I went back to get started on the wagons

We was just about done with the first wagon , when Mary came in , dragging Mattee with her , Mary was upset and her eyes were red from cryin

Mattee , was in a fog , with a blank look in her eyes , well now , I knew what that ment , this was not gonna be any fun

Mary , made Mattee give me back the small knife , but , there was no light in her eyes , just a look of desperation to retain it

Mattee , would have to ride with me tonite , but , she had to go of her own will , there were too many eyes here to preform , what must be done

Mary , ya need to keep an eye on her , things AIN'T right ,

Right now , I need to get back to gettin these wagons ready for the next leg of this adventure

I found the Mexican section of town to the south and managed to follow the noise to a cantina that had remained open well after most civilized places had closed. I walked up to the bar and ordered a tequilla and a cerveza and the bartender hesitated. I heard a voice behind me "Gringo, this is our place, you should leave-now!" I turned smiling and spoke in my best spanish

"Friend or foe, the choice is yours, but call me a gringo again and one of us will regret it."

The man frowned and then replied in perfect english without the trace of an accent "My name is Leandro and no matter how well you speak our language, you are not one of us. If you choose to stay, you will have trouble."

Moving slowly, I turned my right hand palm out and pointed to my vest pocket. I pulled out a small pouch of gold coins and handed them to the bartender "Drinks for all until the money is gone-and I'd sure like some food if the kitchen is open." I said again in my best spanish-I looked at the big man that spoke perfect english and grinned "Leandro, it seems your friends are not too opposed to my presence, for the moment anyway ." He shrugged and grinned "Well Gringo, I'm not so cheaply bought off-let's get to that regret you were promising."

With that he took a stance and pushed a man away- in a moment a semicircle of space had opened up and he reached for his knife. I turned and pointed the colt in my left hand straight at his crotch. "You can leave now, but next time I see you, I'll open fire and call it self defense." Leandro saw the gun, where he had seen none before, it was the magical draw, as I joked among my friends-all based on distraction and misdirection. With the wrist and fingers a gun can be drawn with no visible movement in the arm or upper body. Focus their eyes elsewhere with a bag of gold or such and voila, a pistol in your hand at the ready.

"Nice trick" he grunted as he stepped back towards the door "I'll be seeing you Gringo." as he backed towards the door. I looked him dead in the eye and dropped the gun in its holster. "The name is Flint, my friends call me J. Mark, my enemies-they don't say much at all. You look me up when you're ready."

I turned my back on him in utter contempt and threw back the tequila and looked at the bartender, inquiring as politely as possible if there might be some food available. He nodded frantically and disappeared as I found a table with my back to a wall. Soon the food came and I ate everything with gusto. As they cleared the plates I refilled my glass with tequila.

Before long a tall attractive woman approached the table and asked to join me (gold does pique curiosity) I stood and pulled a chair out for her and made my introduction and offered her a drink.

"My name is Evita, Leandro is my older brother, Colonel Flint. He did not know who you are, I would beg you not to kill him." I looked at her and frowned "Ma'am, I'm passing through town and will be gone soon enough-if your brother wants to live he can steer clear until then, if I see him, I'll kill him."

She began sobbing "He won't listen, please, I'm begging you."

I looked at her a moment torn between longing and disgust. I finished my beer and stood up. "I gave him my word, I don't go back on it. If I see him I'll shoot."

I left the cantina through a back door and made my way back to the hotel and my room. Shortly thereafter there was a knock on my door.

TO SHERIFF FIRELANDS

FROM JK DEPUTY

CARSEY DEAD STOP STAYING OVERNIGHT TRINIDAD END

The window clerk at the express office needed a bath and a shave, in that order.

"Lawman?" he asked, frowning at Jacob's neat print on the telegraph form.

Jacob turned back his lapel to expose the six point star.

"I'll get to it," the window clerk muttered.

"You'll send it now," Jacob said quietly, his voice taking an edge.

The clerk scratched his backside and hawked loudly.

Jacob walked over to the closed door and didn't bother to try the knob.

His boot sole drove hard into warped planks beside the black-ceramic knob, sending shivers of wood across the floor and slamming the flimsy door open against a spitoon.

The pale eyed lawman strode across the unswept planks and seized the window clerk, left handed, and hoisted him an inch off the floor.

"You'll send it now," Jacob said.

Ten seconds later the express clerk went flying out the still-open door; he landed awkwardly on the depot platform, rolled off its edge.

Jacob sat down at the telegraph key and, grasping the black gutta-percha button between his thumb and middle finger, forefinger on top, tapped with a regular, practiced rhythm; he waited until Fred Jerome sent back his acknowledgement of receipt before getting up.

He turned toward the door, half-lidded eyes as warm and welcoming as a mountain snowfield; he saw the express clerk wobbling upright, raising his head to stare at the tall, slender deputy.

Jacob paced out the door, his bootheels loud, measured in the sudden, shocked silence.

He stopped at the edge of the platform.

"If there is a problem," he said, "I am staying at the hotel. You can find me there. By the way" -- he smiled, and the smile was neither kind nor in the least bit genuine -- "we own the Z&W Railroad outright and we have controlling interest in this one. You might want to look for another job."

Jacob turned and walked the length of the platform, bootheels loud on the boards; he descended the steps, thrust a boot into Apple-horse's doghouse, and swung easily into the saddle.

The temperature in the room turned a few degrees cooler when he thrust through the bat wings and into the saloon.

He stepped easily to his left, getting the wall behind him, and looked the place over -- he made no secret that he was looking, and he was looking with the eyes of a lawman, and he was making it plain that's what he was doing.

He began walking again, slow, measured, followed his instinct to the back room where the ladies shared a table.

He stopped where he could see both of the women, and Cheyenne, and he asked in a gentle voice, "Might I join you?"

He waited for their assent -- the ladies' uncertain murmur, Cheyenne's inclined head -- before seating himself.

He reached into a coat pocket and pulled out two small pokes and two envelopes.

"Ladies," he said, "I would ask a favor."

"Look out, here it comes," Calico muttered, rolling her eyes.

Jacob ignored her comment and dealt each of them an envelope as easily as a gambler deals cards.

"Those," he said, "are round trip tickets for the Z&W Railraod. To whererver you please and back. I want you each to go to Denver."

"Why Denver?" Mattie asked, curious.

"I want you to hire a hack and go down the main drag. You are looking for the House of McKenna Dress Shop."

Calico's expression was openly skeptical; Cheyenne's expression was unreadable.

"When you go inside you go up to the woman running the place and tell her that Pale Eyes said two skins."

Cheyenne's right eyebrow raised and Calico raised her hands, shaking her head.

"Hear me out," Jacob said, raising a finger. "When you leave you will have two complete outfits. Two of the latest gowns from the House of McKenna. You will have two complete everything from the skin out. Smallclothes, unmentionables, frillies, stockings, everything. Then you take these" -- he set the small pokes in front of them, and they clinked quietly, the unmistakable sound of coin -- "you go next door to the shoe store and you get two pair of shoes apiece."

Mattie's eyes were welded to the poke in front of her; she looked almost like she was about to cry.

Calico turned almost fiercely to face the lawman.

"Then what?" she demanded.

"I reckon you'll do with 'em as you please," Jacob said mildly.

"You ain't doin' this for nothin'," Calico snapped. "What's the catch? Where's the hook? What do you figure to do to us once we get all prettied up for you?"

Jacob took a long, appraising look at Calico and finally said, very slowly, dropping each word to the tabletop one at a time, "I, will, tell, you, what, I, am, doing."

He closed his eyes, took a long breath, opened them.

"I'm keeping a promise."

Cheyenne listened closely. This was unexpected; he didn't know how this would play out -- he had no idea what the lawman was up to -- but his gut told him it did not bode for ill, no matter Calico's suspicions.

"My father," Jacob continued, "taught me to look deeper than the surface. My mother" -- he looked directly at Calico -- "taught me how."

"All right, lawman," Calico said, "you're looking. What do you see?"

Jacob took another long breath.

"I see two women who will need those gowns."

He frowned at the table, his jaw thrust out: he seemed to come to a decision and spoke again.

"I buried my mother earlier this year. She died in child birth. The day before she died she gave me those passes and said I would know the two women who needed them. I paid for those McKenna outfits against the day when they'd be needed. You'll each have need of them and you'll know when."

He turned to Cheyenne, his eyes pale, cold.

"I'll be stayin' the night. You three gonna be okay?"

Cheyenne considered for a long moment, looked over at Calico, then Mattie.
"I believe," he said finally, "there are some ... people ... you might want to meet."

That night as I lay on the bed in the hotel, I heard the familiar sound of Flints spurs coming up the stairs and then down the hallway, I was able to open my door in time to see which room he entered. Barefoot I eased down the hallway to Flint's door and softly knocked, followed by a soft, "It's Cheyenne."

I heard to lock turn and as the door opened just a pinch as I heard his footsteps backing away from the door. I put my open hands palm up through the crack and nudged the door open. Once I got inside I pushed the door shut, "We've got to talk" I told him just just after the door clicked shut.

"The women and I are the only ones here that I know of." Then I told him of the attack on the camp, finding out that it was due to men looking for Calico. He was curious how I had managed to kill the eight men alone, so I explained how I had used the dynamite to confuse them.

"What kept you from riding in the the others then?" Flint inquired about the part that I was worried about the most. I told him how worried Calico was about being a problem so she drugged the other men so that she and Mattie could ride out.

"Why didn't you just let them go then?" was Flint's obvious question. Then I had to tell him about me being the reason the men were after her and that there was no way I couldn't go after them.

"One more thing, they came from the laxy S Double D ranches. I saw some more of them in town, I'm going to deal with them today."

With everything out in the open, I let out a sigh.....

"One more thing, we came in with a lawman we met on the trail, none of us has papers on us, except for Tom's misunderstanding in Missouri,which isn't a problem. He might be someone we want along with us. Give us some credibility in towns we pass through."

Then I sighed and sat on the chair in the corner and waited for the shoe to fall.

It was just becoming daylight when I rose and stomped into my boots. If Red and the wagons didn't arrive this morning, I'd have to find a general store and buy a shirt and trousers. The heavy black woolen vest had washed completely clean of blood and gore, but the shirt and trousers were indelably stained. I had a huge hankering for chorriso and huevos with chiles and tortillas. When I'd finished dressing, I left the hotel by the back stairs and went in search of those who could supply me with a suitable breakfast.

I found a small cantina on tne back street and stepped inside. This place was quiet now, but it was certain that much could be found here later in the day. The bartender was sweeping out the place and only a couple of others sat around, also having breakfast. I placed my order and took a seat at the back end of the bar. There was no rear entrance to the room. I guessed that the back door was in the kitchen. A steaming plate arrived with another dish covered with a hot towel. The eggs were a perfect over easy and the sausage was tender and spicy. There were diced tomatos and onion and several hot roasted peppers that were spicy enough to bring a sweat to the brow and upper lip. There was hot coffee and cold water and I had some of both. I paid the bartender when I had finished, bought a bottle of mezcal and left the way I had come.

As I came into the main street I saw Chicasaw Bill in the lead wagon just coming into town. "That'll do," i said as I turned to the hotel. With those men now in town, we could get together and cover each other's flanks 'til we could get out of town and backon the road. I returned to my room and picked up my gear. I was anxious to trade rifles and resupply my ammunition. I also looked forward to some fresh clothes.

At this point, none of the rest of us were aware that Cheyenne had decided to poke the hornets nest late last night. That is except for Hawk, who had stalked the town and overheard others talking, and I was to find out shortly that the colonel had gotten wind of it as well. When I returned to the stable, Bill was tending to the wagons. He told me about Mary and Mattie and the knife incident. This just kept getting better and better, I was beginning to think. Here we were, trying NOT to draw attention to ourselves, and one after another, the people who we'd rescued and those we knew the least about were causing us to stick out like torchlit signs in the darkness. You may as well have rung a bell or marched into town with a brass band playing.

I went to wake the colonel and fill him in on the latest. As I topped the stairs I saw Hawk squatted beside Flint's door. He rose as I approached. "That yankee come into town last night and caused a scene at the saloon."

"I just heard," I grimmaced as I reached to knock on J.Mark's door. "Is he up?" I asked before I knocked.

"Ain't heard a peep," Hawk muttered.

I gave the door a rap and stepped back and to the side. It opened almost instantly revealing the colonel, already dressed. He motioned the two of us inside where Tom was also waiting. "From the looks on your faces I'd guess you've heard about Culpepper." Flint opened.

"He's the talk of the town," Hawk agreed. "I ain't sure how much folks have connected him and the "ladies" with the rest of us."

"They came in in a light wagon last night with a stranger," the colonel replied. "Best I can tell the stranger is a deputy of some sort. Culpepper didn't mention any of us that I heard."

"Bama, Cody and Bill got here early this mornin'," I added.

"I want to talk to Bama as soon as we leave here!" Flint said, appearing to try to decide our next move. "Hawk, would you find Cheyenne and tell him I want to see him at the stables?" He looked at the scout and added, "You tell him I said, 'Quietly'! Understand?"

Hawk nodded, stepped out into the hall, and disappeared.

"I grabbed some fresh dudds when I talked to Bill." I said to Flint. "Give me a few minutes to change and we'll go find Bama!"

"Meet us in the lobby when you're ready."

Ten minutes later I met Tom and the colonel in the lobby. "I'll bet that Bama and Cody are at the saloon getting fed and watered." I chuckled. "Bill was seeing to the wagons."

"I doubt it's water that Bama's having," J. Mark grinned.

"Yer too right!" I laughed.

The three of us stepped through the door of the saloon and fanned out, me to the left, Tom to the right. Only Bama and Cody were there, sitting at the same table I'd chosen the night before. "Figured you'd be along sooner than later," Bama said between bites of steak and eggs. "What's the lay of the land?"

"Colonel! Me and Tom have a stop to make right quick, " I interuppted. "Stables in half an hour?"

Flint nodded.

"C'mon Tom! I need your help with somethin'" I motioned toward the street.

We stepped into the light and I headed for the mercantile. "Don't take this the wrong way," I began. "You need some new clothes and I know you're tapped out right now. Get what you want and resupply any ammunition you need."

"I was gonna' wire my sister for some money," Tom protested. "You don't have to do this."

"No problem, if you get your money you can pay me back!" I grinned, "If not, consider it a loan and pay me back when you can." I looked around for effect, kinda' conspiritorialy. "I've got more money than I could spend in two more lifetimes. If I can help someone that can really use it..............." I winked and walked away.

Half an hour later we joined the colonel and the others at the stable. I eased my Remington out of its holster, cocked it and let it hang in my hand beside me, my finger resting on the trigger guard. With that Tom and I stepped into the barn. Tom held his sixty-six in one hand and eased his old Colt a little in its holster

"Pepper, to be blunt, I'm just not sure about you." I started off with "You see Red here? I put him in charge for a reason-he knows the goal and he limits distractions so as to get the job done. You place your own goals ahead of the group's, You seem to feel strongly about protecting these women-that's commendable, but it isn't in the job description. Maybe we could have avoided the next dozen Lazy S DD riders if you just could have used some self control-but like the strutting peacock you apparently are, you had to brag to the town that you whipped em good."

I paused to let that sink in, but it didn't seem to make an impression. "Now you tell me you want to have Linn Keller's boy ride with us. Dammit to hell if you ain't got a set of balls on you. I told every man here that this job wasn't about killing (Which was a bit hypocritical considering my part in the original division of the group and our excursion) and you just told the town to bring it on. And before you think I'm telling you to ride on, I'm not-we'll side you against whatever you stirred up so far-but either it stops or we go our separate ways."

I waited

Morning came early, either too quickly or not quickly enough, I couldn't make up my mind. Over the other noises of the town coming to life with the dawn I heard the sound of wagons, but these were familiar. Getting up, I glanced out the window, sure enough it was the men we had been traveling with. As scared as I was of facing them after what I had done, I knew Mattie just had to return that knife to it's rightful owner.

Mattie of course didn't see it that way, when I woke her up and told her we had to go find Bill, for the very first time she stood up to me and tried to refuse my request. That led to quite an argument, the first real one we ever had, and it continued until in my desperation I finally slapped her. She started bawling, and in an instant I was immediately sorry, she was my only friend after all. But there was just something wrong with that knife, what I didn't know, but she couldn't keep it, that was all there was to it. I finally got her dressed and hauled her downstairs and outside.

We headed for the stable, and I was thankful that the only one left there was Bill. He didn't look at all happy to see us, and for once I let my fear get the better of me, tears were forming in my eyes as the full extent of the rotten trick I'd pulled on them hit me. But this wasn't about me, and I forced Mattie to step forward and tell Bill that she'd grabbed his knife in error, but was glad for the chance to return it. I don't think he believed her, but he held his tongue, until we turned to leave. “Mattie! You and me need to talk tonight, there's things about this knife you need to know. Promise I won't hurt ya....Mary, you make sure she finds me tonight, it's important!” Mattie didn't like the sound of that, but I had a funny feeling that she would be in more danger if she didn't agree. I assured him that I would make sure we looked for him that evening.

That done, we headed for a dress shop I'd noticed the night before. The deputy's offer of train tickets and new clothes was more than generous, but we needed new things now, and I wasn't yet ready for this trip to Denver that he had so graciously given us. Cheyenne met us at the door to the dress shop, I hadn't expected that and wasn't looking forward to any arguments about the cost. The owner at first did not want two soiled doves in her store, but one hard look from Cheyenne changed her mind. Uncomfortable with the woman's disapproval it didn't take long for me to pick two wool dresses, two corduroy skirts, and two heavy blouses, while Mattie found us a couple of wool wraps as well. As I tried to pay for the clothes, Cheyenne did interfere and plopped down a couple of coins on the counter, more than enough for everything we bought. He shook his head at me, warning me not to argue with him, but I wasn't about to forget this, we would settle up later.

Leaving the store, we encountered Hawk coming down the sidewalk, he'd been looking for Cheyenne. “Stables, now!” was all the half-breed said, and for a minute I thought Cheyenne was going to argue with him. But Cheyenne just nodded, and turned up the street towards the stables. Hawk hadn't said anything to me and Mattie, but for some reason I didn't feel like letting our guardian go alone, whatever it was that was waiting for him there.

the livery owner , was looking at the wagons , and ask is this them new fangled roller bearings , I have heard about ?

yep , I anwsered , as long as they have a good coat of grese in em , they is smooth and will go faster without problems

than the old style wooden hub and axle , ya got to make sure , ya get the grease worked into to em , just like this

about that time , his hired hand came in , so I had to go through it all again

I was covered in grease , when the crew started filterin in

Blackwater , come over here , as he came close , Ya remenber the map I got from Sam ? been studyin on it some

looks to be backwards on the direction marker , it is under the seat in that wagon , why don't ya take a peek at it later

tell me what ya think , I am thinkin it is a rabbit hole , if read as drawn , but if ya reverse the directions it is where the stuff relly is

I wanted to get the wagons finished , so I could clean up and prepare for what had to be done later tonite

the coffee here was lousey and the grease did not make it any better

the sprits had been quited at least for a while , I would finish that later

Hawk had listened silently as I told my story, and simply nodded when I finished.

"I knew they'd all gone to one brand but I didn't know what it was, hadn't found my way up that direction in quite some time" he said.

He'd then suggested I go tell the Colonel without delay.

I was apprehensive as I repeated my story, but the Colonel didn't seem worried by the news. Then he told me about Pepper's challenge during the night.

I listened to his opinion on that matter, and when he finished I sat quietly. It was then that Blackwater and Hawk came in and informed us the wagons had arrived.

It was decided that we'd meet downstairs and go from there to meet the rest of our party, but just as we were meeting up Blackwater pulled me outside. Then he took me strait to the mercantile and told me my days of bein in his company lookin like a saddle bum were over. I tried to argue, but he wouldn't have any of it.

Then I tried to only replace the worn items with cheap items, and again he wouldn't have any of it.

I ended up leavin there wearing grey saddle trousers and a heavy green shirt. They'd had a nice soft buckskin vest in there and a black frock coat and Blackwater had thrown them on the pile as we were finishing up. Then insisted that 30 days without a proper bath was more than my long handles could take. Two new pairs of those plus socks finished the pile of clothes. Two boxes of .44's I picked up to replenish what I'd fired between here and Toostone, and we were done. I had close to 500 more rounds in my saddlebags. I was not one to leave myself wanting for bullets though.

I wouldn't let him talk me out of my hat or my boots, both still had life in 'em, though neither matched the cattleman influenced items the group wore.

The shop keep promised to deliver the items I didn't put on in the back room to my room in the hotel, along with my old clothes, so we walked to the stables unburdened.

I felt like a million dollars in new clothes. I made a mental note to send that wire before we left town, and make it understood that I needed my family to have money waitin on me in Santa Fe.

If nothin else I was gonna buy my pards the best whiskey I could find in that town, as a way of saying thanks.

My high spirits didn't dim when we got to the stables, not even when Blackwater shucked his Remington and eased the hammer back.

I had my '66 in my left hand, and I flipped the thong off my right colt and made sure it was loose in the holster.

Only when we rounded the corner to find J Mark finishing his speach did my high feeling start to leave me. Blackwater leaned against a post, the Remington unnoticed next to his leg.

Pepper looked like he was havin a hard time deciding if he wanted to reply with words or his guns. He was angry, and not knowing what had transpired between him and the Colonel before our arrival, I didn't know what to expect.

I was pretty sure he wouldn't actually try for his gun though, he knew he'd not have any help shootin at the Colonel.

Not that I thought the Colonel would need any help, he'd had smoke lifting from the muzzle of that pistol before I even knew he'd drawn on that wildcat that tried to jump us on the trail. He was just plain fast.

A man would have to be able to stand and shoot while absorbing lead to have a chance of gettin him, and I didn't know many men that I thought could pull that off.

I pulled my right hand Colt and flipped open the loading gate.

My thumb brought back to half cock and I turned the cylinder to expose the empty.

I dunked a sixth bean in the wheel.

My eyes watched my hands as my hands worked on their own accord.

I looked up at the filthy, cracked mirror, or what was left of it, and saw a long tall lawman with a solemn expression, shivered in the silvered shards in the split wood frame.

I looked back down at the Colt.

Now I'm not the brightest candle in the chandelier but I can tell when things are about to get ... strenuous.

The saloon last night was full of strange faces, which I expected: suspicious faces, which I expected.

Lawmen recognize other lawmen right away and the lawless recognize lawmen before a fellow law dog will and I knew I was marked the moment I set foot in the place.

Didn't trouble me none.

Pa died twice so far and he's seen the Valley and he told me he's not afraid of dyin' but he chuckled and said the manner of his death might cause him some concern, and I laughed with him because I seen the Valley twice myself.

I've no wish to seek out my own death but I know what comes after this life.

I shook my head as my second fully loaded revolver eased down into the holster.

Both hammer noses rested between cartridge rims.

I eased the lever open on my '76 rifle so I could see brass, then I eased the lever shut.

My gut reminded me it was time for breakfast and I hoped the breakfast cook was better than whoever fixed what they called supper last night.

I was thinking hard as I turned toward the door and fetched my hat off its peg.

Cheyenne ... Pa said he was a bounty hunter, neither better nor worse than any other man.

Now a man ought to be protective of the women folks and he was and I counted that in his favor.

Calico ... she struck me as someone with a rough outside, a hard shell, someone who was considerably inclined to be kindly but who'd been hurt and scarred up by what life's done to her so far.

She bristled like a cur dog when she talked to me and I did not hold that against her.

Mattie ... Mattie struck me as a shy, trembling little thing, and I smiled as the thought came to me, for I'd seen shy trembling little things turn into the bloodiest, most vicious fighters when need arose.

They never said where they're-all bound, nor why, and it's none of my business so I never asked.

I don't rightly know what-all is a-goin' on here but I reckon if I'm not needed I'll head out on the noon train.

It'll feel good to get home and kiss my darlin' wife.

To say that I was a bit furious was an understatement. Flint hadn't had a word to say when I told him what had taken place on the way to Trinidad. Oh, but now with everyone around, he wants to rip me a new one? Yea, I was definitely outgunned, but if he twitched he would have never finished twitching before he was dead. Then the other two buffing up like a spring turkey with their guns at the ready, one would have died with Flint and the other by Calico standing in the shadows behind him.

I took a deep breath and thought a second, I was going to chose my words carefully, but I sure wasn't going to mince what I had to say either.

"I never asked you to finish what I've started, I took care of those back on the trail, I'll finish it here. You've got a Mexican following you in the shadows, you've not exactly been a church mouse here either. Y'all have been riding like your still in the cavalry during the war. The war ended fifteen years ago. I imagine that if the gold from the ship had made it to where you were suppose to take it the war would have lasted much longer. Oh, I'm glad it ended as soon as it did, but you kept it for yourself and let the south down. And yet, you call me a damn Yankee?"

"Oh, I'll ride with you alright, but the war is over! I'll give my word that I've got your back, but the next man that tells me to draw or pulls down on me will enter hell's gate right there." Then I pulled my hands from my vest revealing the two sheriff model 45s that I had been holding.

Oh, I know I could have died there, but so would have three of them, but I also knew I couldn't trust them much from here on out either. I knew my options, finish this with them and then see how it would play out, or at some point take Calico and Mattie had head back north.

"That Mexican fellow is Leandro, he's no danger to me, even if he thinks otherwise. I am far more fearful of his sister." I said with a chuckle, ignoring the guns Pepper had been hiding.

"The truth is-I've never called you an yankee, damned or otherwise. I've also never held it against a man that he fought for a different army than I did. Wasn't a damn thing right about that war on either side. Right now OUR problem is that we are drawing way too much attention. Your fault, my fault, nobody's fault-it makes no difference."

I turned to Bama Red and asked for the sealed envelope back. He fished it out and I took a look at the seal, still intact. I struck a lucifer and burned it, careful of the flames. "Now, this adventure is over for the time being. We have men with bad intent bearing down on this fine group-I suggest you all decide who is in charge and figure out how we'll deal with it. Let me know where you want me and when."

I walked out of the livery, pausing to shout to Leandro "Come on Leandro, I'm leaving and that fellow there" I said thumbing in Pepper's general direction "is one bad man with a gun, he can outdraw, out shoot and outwit just about anyone. He'll cut off your head like a thousand others and turn it in for a bounty and-if you aren't wanted, he'll find a poster that looks close enough. Oh yeah, one more thing he wears a steel lined girdle, so if you ever get in a fight with him, shoot him in the head."

Leandro hesitated before following me.

That I might have taken lead was never a worry to me. It had happened before and I had no doubt that it would happen again. Cheyenne's overestimation of his own skills was humorous. He'd been faded from the start and he knew it. I couldn't for the life of me figure what he had in that head of his that made him think he was that good. I'd faced far better moves than his. He was among the fastest I'd seen, no doubt, but many a fast man had died at the hands of someone who stood and did their work.

"You'd have never cleared the vest before five good men put lead in you," I said to Culpepper quietly. "This is pretty much a cavalry type operation, and it's the colonel's show. We'll do what he wants as long as we're riding with him." I smiled a genuine smile, "I don't have a quarrel with you." I offered my hand. He first showed his disdain, but then rolled his eyes and offered his own. "Your biggest problem among the rest of them, and therefore your biggest problem with me and the colonel, is that you lack any subtelty. It is jeopardising the deal and putting the rest of us at a risk that ain't needed."

"If you're gonna be angry at being taken down a peg, it's going to affect how you work. None of us need to have you off your game, but there ain't a soul amongst these men that can't take care of themselves and the rest of us with or without you!" I smiled again, "Go and get some rest. It'll look a lot better after a few drinks and a good meal."

With that I walked away. The picture of Bama Red with Ol' Thunder pointed between Cheyenne's shoulderblades the whole time Flint had confronted him made me laugh. Flint was right! Culpepper had a set of stones on him. I just hoped he could keep 'em long enough to find what he was really looking for. I went to find the colonel and let him know my slant on things.

"This bunch that seems to show up a dozen at a time. Hawk and Tom told me a little more about 'em," I said as we took time about pouring a drink. "I don't figure we have much to worry about from them."

"There's seven good men amongst us if you don't figure Pepper sidin' us," Flint observed.

"I figure he'll stand," I said, "He's got too much pride to do otherwise." I shook my head and chuckled, "He could be somethin' one day if that pride of his don't get him killed first!"

"Well, I expect we'll be seeing another wave of LazyS-DD boys before we pull outa' here." J. Mark thought for a moment. "I don't know what started them on our trail, but I'd sure like to. We need to find that out!"

"We can't make a move for the border 'til we've got this thing settled. As it is we'll need to lay low a spell before we cross." I stood up to go,"Maybe we capture one or two of 'em and ask some serious questions. Bill and Hawk might be just the ticket!"

"Find 'em and tell 'em I want to see 'em," the colonel replied.

I touched two fingers to the brim of my hat and left the saloon.

as the show , played out , I could not help but chuckle at it

Cul Pepper , had been bein stupid acting the way he was , must be his attempt to hide , his weaknesses

good way to get stone cold dead , he would have been blown into obolivion as soon as he had made a move

some of these men , would not have thought twice about dropping him where he stood

I was finished getting the wagons ready to move out , had everything I needed to do the cermoney later tonite

I put everything into the saddle bags , and threw a bed roll in the stack of stuff I would need

Now , I had to wait for the sun to drop in the west

I streached out in the wagon bed to catch a short nap , then I figured I would go find a bite to eat

I knew of a small stream , that was protected from view and the wind that would do nicely , pure water , salt , sage , yep everything I needed

I knew , there were only 3 ways for this to end , easytest would be to destroy the knife , But , I could not do it

second , was to let Mattie , get herself killed , the last way , I was not sure about it's out come ,

The sun was getting low as I went off to get ready

Pepper said his piece, and though I wasted no love on yanks, I sympathized with him.

The two pistols he produced from under his vest didn't fool me though.

It's one thing to hunt men, set them up for their deaths and make it happen. I respected his ability in that nature and knew he'd done well in the fights back on the trail...

But we'd stacked the deck on him, and if he thought that situation was winnable then he'd have to be green. He wasn't green...

I'd spent 15 years looking my opponents in the face, and having a clear enough head to speak clearly when the potential for death is one wrong word or movement away is respectable. It also spoke toward honest intent.

But Pepper was too confident... I didn't intend to test his skill, but He wasn't the only one could aim a gun while watching one being fired at him. I'd been earning a living with a gun long enough to know there were plenty of men better than me with a gun, but I'd also been playing the game long enough to see the even the best die from the bullets out of guns of men that couldn't hold a candle to them.

I'd also seen men here and there that didn't notice even when the bullets started hitting them, and continued dealing death.

Gun fighting was a dangerous game, played for keeps by both novice and master. And often it was hard to guess which you faced. Plenty of the masters managed to play the game without makin names for themselves. And it didn't matter if you faced a master or not, it wasn't over until somebody was dead or quit... And a man with no quit in him was more dangerous than any other.

I rarely wasted breath on things like this... But I didn't think Pepper was much older than me. Maybe I'd talk to him a bit, if I decided he was humble enough to listen to a peer.

I didn't want to see a man my age die because he fell into the trap so many other young gun fighters did when they started gettin good... And think himself invincible...

But just the same if he tried for the Colonel, I'd be tryin for him. And five scars, three fresher than the two low down that made my leg numb now and then, gave testament to me being among those that don't quit, and could keep shooting while gettin hit.

As far as the Colonel's reply... I'd already chosen my Boss in this outfit. So I followed him and Blackwater to the saloon, and sat quietly at a table in the corner while they spoke and then when Blackwater left to find two of the others.

"Colonel Flint?"

Flint blinked, his thoughts falling back into their poke where he kept them; he looked up, for a moment expecting to see a deferential young man in Confederate grey, saluting with one hand and proffering a despatch with the other.

The pale eyed lawman saw the man's eyes change as he realized he'd just betrayed something about himself, and without saying a word.

No man likes to be found out ... especially if he has something to hide.

Jacob knew he was hiding something.

"Colonel, I believe you are in charge of the expedition."

Again the thrust, surprisingly accurate.

What does this pale eyed badge packer know, what is he trying to pull?

Jacob continued as if he hadn't noticed any of it, though he read the man's unspoken responses plain as a printed page.

"Colonel, your man Culpepper extended the hospitality of a fire and a hot meal on a bitter cold night. He did me a kindness, sir, and with your permission I'd like to return that kindness."

Flint looked closely at the deputy, taking in his relaxed stance, his watchful eyes, a slight tilt to his head that meant he was listening with more than his ears.

"Sir, I've an extra flatcar, a passenger and a freight car attached to the incoming train. If your path runs toward Cripple Creek or Firelands I can offer you and your men passage, on me."

I found Bill cleaning up behind the stable. "Use my room to freshen up and get a change of clothes. Hell! Take a nap if you want." I explained the colonel's position and my idea. He in return told me more about Mattie and the toothpick.

"I'll go see the colonel before I do anything," Bill said at length. "I reckon we've got a little time before these hombres get here. If I see Hawk I'll fill him in!"

I found Hawk in the cantina where I'd had breakfast. I told him what Bill had told me and then of the plan I'd suggested to Flint. "He wants to see you when you can get there."

"I'll go see the colonel," Hawk replied. "You do me a favor. Tell that hotel clerk that my room ain't fit fer a hog and I wan't a white man room!"

I laughed a little and then got kinda' mad. This man was with us and we'd paid for four rooms to start with. "Go ahead. I'll be along later!" I said and headed for the hotel.

At the desk in the lobby I slammed my hand down on the bell angrily. The clerk jumped a little and headed to my end of the counter. "Yes, Sir?" he said, reading the anger in my face.

"We took four rooms here last knight!" I began. "One of those rooms is not acceptable! It's dirty, the mirror is broke, the mattress is bad, and there was no water to wash with when your guest arrived!"

The clerk leaned over as if to quietly explain,"Sir, that man isn't welcome here."

I grabbed the clerks string tie and wound it around my fist, drawing him in closer,"You'll put my friend in a clean, propper room and apologize to him when he returns!" I hissed between clenched teeth. "If you don't, I'll have words with some folks here who will do for you. Do we understand each other?" I let go of the tie and straightened it for him.

"Yyyes Sir!" the clerk quavered a little, "I'll see to it, Sir!"

I turned on my heel and started to walk out, heading back to the saloon. I pulled up short at the door. "We're goin' to need three more rooms if the colonel hasn't spoken for them already!" the clerk whirled to look at me. "Make sure I don't have to go over this again!" With that I headed to the saloon.

The sun was low in the sky , startin to darken the shadows , while I saddled the gray , I checked to make sure I had everything I needed

everything was there , , I had found some bloodroot , and some ginsing , fresh would have been better , but it was all I had

I waited for Mattee to show up at the livery , she was suppose to be here by now

when she finally showed up , she ask , where is the buggy ? I was already on the gray , and replied , there AIN'T one

with that , I reached down , and put her on the gray , behind me , and let the gray have it's head

Mattee was hangin on for dear life , I was just going along for the ride , till the gray settled down a bit

We approched the little stand of trees , where the creek was , it was un occupied and secluded , just waht was needed

while I started a small fire , I told Mattee to go down to the creek and bathe , she protested it's cold ,

I looked up and said that is the reason for the fire and the blanket in the bedroll , Please do as I ask , trust me , this must be done

I could hear her splashing around a bit in the water , so I told her I was coming down there with the blanket

DON"T look she cryed , so I held the blanket high until she wrapped herself in it

I took a dip in the creek and preformed the ceromany to cleanse the sprits away , she was hestant until she understood , that I would not hurt her

after that was done , I made some ginsing tea , and gave it to her , then I explained the power of the knife , you are safe now from its power

Mattee ask , what is the third way , for her to have the knife , I was startled , when she ask that .

well , that would be a pretty rough decision , you would have to make , being you would be bound to me body and soul , but ,

if you were to stray , there might not be any way to save you again , Mattee had been sitting huddled in the blanket , like a scared rabbit

I had no more that said that , when she stood up and dropped the blanket from around her to the ground

as she came over to where I was sitting , she ask , Does this come with a home and childern ?

Flint walked out and Tom and Blackwater followed. I turned to Bama and winked at him, he chucked a bit at my demeanor. "What kind of shell do you use in that thing?" I asked. He flipped the release and the barrels fell open to expose two gaping holes. I nodded towards Calico and Mattie and said, "Got to watch those two, they can be awfully distracting" and I winked at Bama again. "Hell, I may be crazy but I sure taint stupid." I threw Bama the two shells I had snatched earlier as the two women in their new clothes and perfume had been "distracting" him.

Bill was at the wagon still, hands covered in grease just shaking his head at the thought of the women pulling such a stunt. "Bill, we'll have Mattie ready this evening, just let me know where and when."

Calico brushed up beside me and I'm sure she saw the look in my eyes as i gazed at her all cleaned up and dressed well. "You want to go on, or head for Denver?" came out of my mouth before I knew it.

I was still mad as hell at Mary for slipping us the drugs and now Flint calling this adventure off, hopefully a temporary thing, just about sent me over the edge. For a minute there in the barn I was hoping Pepper might try and draw on the colonel so we could be done with him once and for all. On the other hand he could shoot and was a mighty good Cowboy to have along on the trail. It wasnt really a matter of trust any more; because I do finally trust ol Pepper; just way tired of his cocksure manner. I decided I'd head over to the saloon and have a drink or ten.

I was working on my second drink when three tough looking dudes strutted in and approached the bar. "Barkeep," the first man said, "We're lookin for a sorry lot what ambushed and murdered some of our hands. Last we heard they was drivin a couple of freight wagons this direction and had a couple of whores with them; sound familiar?"

"Mister," I said, "Whoever told you that we murdered them boys is a damned liar, they opened the ball and we finished it fair and square."

His face turned red and he roared with anger, "You fool, we ride for the Lazy S double D; you can't get away with...."

I didn't let him finish, I calmly drew and shot him. My hammer fell twice, so fast it sounded like one shot, both right through the heart. My third shot went wide of the second man but I got him with the fourth and fifth. By then there was so much smoke I could hardly make out the third man, but I did see his muzzle flash as my left hand gun cleared leather. His first shot hit high on my right shoulder and the second grazed my scalp just above my right ear. The last thing I remember was falling and firing three times with my left hand.....

Knew as soon as I saw Culpepper swooning over Calico and Mattie that the Colonel was not going to be happy when he wanted to talk with him in those stables. Especially when Blackwater, Tom Bama Red and Bill was there also. Now, I know I'm just a breed and all, but I did feel like being left out of this fine party and such, and being as I knew Calico from back in the day, though I'd best keep an eye on her. So glad I didn't have to clean my fighting knife again......3 times in a 24 hour period is a bit much !

I didn't have no problems with that damned yankee, the one that's called Pepper. The war will never be over for me because those that have lived through war will never stop living through war. It's in every thought, smell, taste , and feel for the rest of you're life. For Pepper, the war maybe over 15 years ago, but for me, it stopped yesterday. Like I said, I have no problem with him, just as long as he don't get me killed. Then we may have a problem !

I went to the mercantile and put in my order for supplies. 20 pounds each of bacon , beans, salt pork, jerky, salt, flour, onions , taters. 5 pounds each sugar, pepper, molasses , honey, and rolling tobacco, cegars. and the most important......10 pounds of coffee. For me and me alone, 500 rounds of 44-40 . The store clerk refused and I pointed to the Colonel who was standing on the board walk across the street and I said to the clerk, that I worked for him and I was following that man's order's and if he did not fill this order, that the Colonel would , himself.......come in here and box his ears for him and I would get the most pleasure out of watching him do so. The clerk jumped right to it with out saying a word.

That new law man that had throw in with us........something didn't sit right with me about him. My gut told me he was up to something to and to sleep with one eye one him at all times. ( times out of 10 my gut feelings was always right and I prayed to my Creator, that this time was not the 10th time. Still.....I didn't feel easy around him.

I couldn't find Bill to get a few of those Lazy S DD Boys, so I swung by the wagon, got one go them fancy shot guns, thought better of it and put it back. Went into the Livery stable and got the Spencer , MY Spencer and the shells, put it across my lap and swung up on my Appaloosa. Checking both my pistols and my 1860 Henry and pout the door I went. I had heard tell of a cattle camp a few miles out of town a few miles north of town.

I left town just before sundown and arrive at the fire camp some time near midnight. I cut the reins on the horses that where tied to the line so that they where short reined. Would be embarrassed to ride them in, except for 2 I kept for the men I intend on bringing in for the Colonel. As the horses wandered off for better feed, I placed my Henry near a rock and then moved to a deadfall log, chambered a round into it, cocked the hammer back, laid it down and then moved into the shadows of the fire light and let out an Apache war cry that would make you're blood run cold !

Those men jumped up and I put an arrow into the neck of the 1st men while the rest thought they had seen ghosts ! I made a run to where my Spencer was and fired at least 3 rounds from there. And 2 men went down, creaming and crying out. I was moving on to my Henry and then I went to work and cut the rest down till only 2 where left ......"HANDS UP ....SOMEBITCHES !" I shouted and to my surprise they did just that. Green horns ! ! !

"DROP THEM GUNS AND RIGS.....NOW !" which the did. "STEP OVER TO THE FIRE,.....BELLY DOWN !" I walked over to them and the one looked up at me so I let him taste the butt of my Henry......free of charge of course. "Now....You're eye's gonna swell shut so ya can't see out of it...You can see out of the other one when I tell ya ! I said. I put my Henry barrel to each one's back and said ,...Hands behind yur backs now !" When they didn't move I cocked the hammer and said, "BOYS, I'M TRYED AND HUNGERY AND JUST SOON KILL YA NOW BUT MY BOSS WANTS YA ALIVE.....SO WHAT'S IT GONNA BE ?" When they heard that they put their hand behind their backs and I tied them up good.

Before long, I had them in their saddles, camp fire out, guns picked up and was heading back into town. I came into the livery and told the old man to go get Blackwater and tell him I had a surprise for him there. As that old man left, I got the bloody LazyS DD Boys off their horses and put them in the coroner of the livery stables, and covered them with my Henry.

The scene in the stables didn't go over well with me, how dare they threaten Cheyenne when all he was doing was trying to protect me and Mattie? I knew that the other men didn't think much of the two of us, if they bothered to at all. Obviously our lives didn't mean much to them, but then again what had I been expecting? If they didn't want to be stuck with us, that was more than fine with me, but they had been the ones pretending to be so concerned with our safety at first. Probably hoped that pretending to be willing to protect us would get them something for free, and they were disappointed it hadn't worked. Well, it sure wasn't going to either. The only one I had any faith in by that point was Cheyenne, and maybe that deputy Jacob Keller. Lawman or not, he was a decent man, and I couldn't help but think that his wife was one lucky woman.

Afterward, Cheyenne asked me if I wanted to stick around, or head north for Denver like Jacob had suggested. My head told me to go north as soon as possible, but my heart still wasn't sure what it wanted. I didn't think the other men would just let Cheyenne leave, I had the feeling he knew too much about....well...something, and I wouldn't let him go with me if it meant more trouble. He was as good or better with a gun than any of the others, but badly outnumbered.

Would I be willing to leave without him? Yes, but only if Mattie went with me, and after talking to her some more in private that afternoon I was no longer sure she'd be willing. She wasn't behaving quite as strangely now that I had made her return that damn knife to it's rightful owner, but she hadn't forgotten about it either. Now all she wanted to talk about was Bill and what he wanted her to do tonight. I had no idea, so I couldn't put her mind at rest, but I had gotten the feeling he was truly trying to help her and not hurt her. If I had suspected that I wouldn't have let her go, no matter what he said to scare us into agreeing to it. I did notice that the entire time we were talking, she kept playing with the rattle necklace he had given her.

When it was time for her to go, Cheyenne knocked on our door, he was going to escort us down to the stables, to make sure we got there ok. Trinidad wasn't a bad town, but that still didn't mean we were safe walking alone that close to dark. After leaving a scared Mattie with Bill, who promised to see her safely back to the hotel later, Cheyenne turned to me. “Ma'am, will you please do me the honor of dining with me this evening?” he asked. I think I must have been blushing a little when I nodded, and he held out his arm for me to take, then led me towards the finest restaurant in town.

The Colonel had walked over and sat at the table I was at until Hawk and Bill had come and talked to him. He stood up to leave after that, and I'd gotten up to follow him, thinkin none of us needed to be alone in this town. That lawman had walked in just then though and I spun on my heal and told J Mark I'd see him later and I'd eased out through the kitchen.

I'd wandered around for a while, not knowing what the rest were up to, and not wanting to impose, I'd explored the town a bit.

As it began to get dark I'd found a place to sit and seen Bill and Mattie ride out, and Pepper and Mary walkin arm in arm to the eating house. Pepper and I had traded nods, but Mary had shot me an icy look. I figured she was upset I hadn't backed the man on her arm back at the stable, and I guessed based on what she knew I couldn't blame her.

She hadn't been out there when Blackwater got the two men off me that had me pinned in the rocks though, or when he staked me to resupply in this town. Nor had she been there when the Colonel had given me that pony he'd captured so I could be there to see vengeance exacted against the man that had wronged me and Blackwater.

I was fully aware that I'd missed their part of the trip too though, and beyond hearing the story told from the other men, I had no appreciation for the things Pepper had done for them on the trail.

Maybe Mary hadn't been west long enough to realize that most western men will protect and care for women down to their last drop of blood, no matter if they're proper ladies or not. In that regard what Pepper had done for them wasn't special. I guessed that Bill or Bama woulda saddled up and tracked the two down to make sure they came to no harm once they had their wits back. But it had been Pepper, and he'd earned the affection Mary now showed for him in doin so.

So whatever reason she had for that icy look, she had my forgiveness, if not my understanding. I supposed that her profession would probably make anyone distrustful of men's intentions, and make it second nature to suspect their motivations.

I wished for nothing but the best for her, Mattie, and Pepper, them bein the three that didn't "fit right in." It was just that a man in this country would stand with the men he rode with, for better or worse. Because they'd do the same for him.

From where I sat enjoying a fresh plug of tobacco in front of the hotel I could see most of the street. And shortly after Bill and Mattie rode out, and Pepper and Mary entered the eatin house, I saw Cody aiming at the saloon.

I stood up and stretched, finding that my leg had gone numb while I was sitting. I cleared my mouth of the tobacco while I stomped my foot and hoped the feeling would return. It rarely lasted long and I'd learned to get around on it while it was gimpy, but I didn't like anyone seeing me limp on it, and it never failed to annoy me. Except now, I had no vision of three fingers to taunt me.

As I stood there leaning against a post and working my leg I noticed the clerk returning from somewhere down the road, and three men behind him entering the saloon Cody was in. The look on the clerks face spelled evil mischief and my eyes snapped back to the saloon just as the men entered.

The limp be damned, I started toward the place with a bad feeling building inside me and was just stepping up on the boardwalk when gunfire began it's deadly roll inside... I cursed silently and limped and ran the rest of the way to the door, elbowing pasta few men spilling out of the saloon and chambering a round in the '66 as I did so. My eyes didn't miss the brand on the three horses at the rail, just how many men did that outfit have to send?

Reaching the door I turned to it and hit it with my left shoulder to push my way through, but slipped as my foot hit litter on the floor inside and my left leg was not up to the task of preventing my fall.

A man was standing over Cody leaning against a table and as the door banged open and I hit the floor on one knee he spun and fired over my head. Steadying myself with my left hand I lifted the rifle like a pistol with my right and fired lookin down the barrel. The round hit his belt buckle and turned, ripping upward through his stomach. He exhaled sharply, the way a man does when he's been punched where the bullet went, and his knees buckled. He pitched forward and his right hand reached out to catch the table, sending his pistol skidding across the tabletop and onto the floor, but he succeeded in stopping his fall.

I stood up slowly and chambered another round.

"You won't need that, I've caught enough to send me on" he gasped.

He turned slowly and collapsed into a chair. "Your pard here ain't got long either, if I don't miss my guess."

He focused on me as he said the last and his breathing was coming hard... But all of a sudden he smiled.

"Howdy kid! Boy I never figured to see you again... How'd you get tied in with this bunch?"

I had been looking at his shirt, noticing he'd been shot in the left arm before my bullet hit him, and there were two more men laying still on the floor between us. Cody had done well for himself, whatever had started this, but now my attention snapped back to the mans face, and it took a second for recognition to set in. I'd ridden night watch at the railheads with this man.

"Howdy Joseph," I said. "One of the men in this bunch was hunting that three fingered man I told you about. We caught up to him a few days ago. Some of your outfit found us the same day."

My voice changed to a growl, "and they was about as friendly as y'all were here! Mind tellin an old pard what the hell is goin on?"

Joseph looked a little sheepish and he was gettin pale, but his eyes held steady on mine.

"I dunno the whole story," he said. His voice was gettin low so I moved to him and eased down to one knee next to Cody. Cody was breathing easy, he'd taken one through the shoulder and his scalp was peeled back a bit over his ear, but he'd live. He might not feel up to riding for a while though.

Joseph smiled at my effort, "See you still got that gimpy leg." Then he continued, "We were told that the General got word from Toostone that someone or someones he wanted had passed through there. He sent two of his 'enforcement squads' out that day, with orders to track 'em. Another left the next day, and one more followed a few days later, with special instructions that weren't shared with anyone else. Me and the two men I was with rode the rails down here. We was suppose to look for any new instructions at the telegraph office and head north to find the others with 'em."

He nudged a body with his toe. "He didn't find no one in the wire office though. Then this kid found us and told us that some men had murdered one of our squads and were in town bragging about it."

Joseph looked back at me, squinting. "I never knowed you for a dry gultcher though."

He gasped in pain, and on the floor Cody stirred. I hated to make Cody wait, but I needed to hear all Joseph would tell me. I placed a hand on Cody's brow and he stilled. A few curious faces were pokin back into the saloon, and I didn't want any interruptions, Joseph didn't have much time left.

"I didn't murder anyone," I replied. "Nor has anyone in this outfit bragged about such a thing. One of our men is a little hotheaded and thought he could warn off more trouble with a little show last night, but nobody's bragging on anything."

Joseph shook his head and looked at me, his voice little more than a whisper he continued, "There ought to be two more squads here soon. They had the orders and the reasons, not us. I'd tell you if I knew" he gasped out!

"Get outa here Farmer," he was whispering again. "The salty ones and the nasty ones are in the last squad, the first ones was just out to track y'all down. They'll turn this town red when they get here, and they won't be askin no questions. We rode together and you're too good a man for what they'll do to you."

His breathing was hard and fast now, and I recognized the rasp that betrayed his condition. He gaze went over my shoulder and struggled for focus and I turned to see Blackwater and Bama entering, pistols and shotgun out and up. Their eyes took in the room and settled on me and Joseph, then Cody. "Cody'll live, but he needs a doc," I said, before turning back to Joseph.

His lips had a few pink bubbles showing at the corners now, and he coughed weakly. "Remember that ramrod that dropped that cattle to us that time, that wouldn't lower himself to talk to either of us? He was in one of the first squads," he whispered. "Never did like that S.O.B." he went on, "and I ain't sorry if he's gone." He tried to laugh but it turned into a cough and his face betrayed his pain.

He looked me in the eyes again, all focus gone... "Glad it was you Tom... Now get the hell out." His eyes went blank and his head dropped slowly until his chin met his chest. His breathing was short and erratic now, little more than desperate gasps. I sighed... Joseph had been a good man, if a little reckless. And I was sorry for what had just happened.

Cody groaned and stirred under my hand and Bama knelt next to me, "let's get Cody to the hotel, Blackwater went for the doc," he said.

Flint neither accepted nor declined my offer.

I waited until it was evident he wasn't going to say aye, yes or no, then I nodded with a quiet, "Cunnel," and turned.

Right before I turned I could see the change in his eyes.

He'd rode for the South and when addressed with a Suth'n term, there was an automatic response and I saw it.

Quickly stifled -- immediately controlled -- but it was there.

Made no difference to me.

The train was on its way and my business was finished.

As soon as The Lady Esther pulled into station, I would be on my way back home.

Mattee had snuggled up real close , but I was starting to get a feeling of danger getting very close

I told her to get dressed , very fast and to be quite while doing it , as I doused the small fire and scattered the ashes

I pulled her up on the gray , she whispered to me , Keep the knife , I have all I want as long as I have you

we rode back towards town , at a slower pace , I told her , you better think real hard about this , things are not what the seem at times

we got back to the liverly , first thing I noticed , someone had been rootin around in the wagon , gonna have to repack it and check the cargo

I took her back to the hotel , there I pulled out the sage , that was stuck in her hair , I had to check the wagons

I left her with the words ringin in her ear , dreams can come true , if , ya live long enough to make it happen , think hard about what you have been told , it is your decision to make .

with that I , I watched her go up the stairs , I headed back to the livery , on the way , I could see there had been more trouble in town

I slipped in to check the wagons , there I cuaght someone I did not know going through em , I sneaked up on him and knocked him out with a blow to the side of his head , then hog tyed him before he came to

well son , what ya doin poking through stuff , that don't belong to ya ? I could feel the toothpick , gettin warm in my hand

who sent ya , and what are ya lookin for , No answers were being given , so I gagged him and started to get rough with him to get em

I had fetched the doctor for Cody and left Bama with him for now. The old livery man had stopped me while I sought the doctor and delivered Hawk's message and then vanished, so I had returned to Tom and Bama to explain what was happening. Cody was conscious, more or less, and his wounds while not superficial, weren't life threatening.

As I made my way to the stables, I saw figures struggling near the wagons. As I got closer I heard Chickasaw Bill telling whoever he had caught to explain himself in less than friendly terms. "In the barn!" I said quietly and grabbed Bill's captive by one arm, jerking him to his feet.

We shoved the man down into the stall where Hawk held the two he'd captured. They looked at one another but in the low light I couldn't catch a hint of any recognition among them. Bill explained that he'd caught his man rifling through the wagons upon his return to town. "Just doin' what the colonel asked me to," Hawk muttered, nodding toward the two he'd spirited off with. "Tey're riding horses with that same brand on 'em!"

"Ya's both did good!" I said. "I'll let the colonel know what we've got and be back in a bit." I eased out of the barn and went to find Flint.

Tom had found J. Mark and told him of Cody's plight. When I found them they were leaving the home of the doctor where Cody had been moved. I gave them a questioning look and Tom replied, "Doctor says he'll be okay in a few days. No bones broken and he was seeing fine."

"Hawk's got you a couple of riders down in the stables and Bill caught a fella pokin' through the wagons. We got him down there too!" I said to Flint as we fell into step.

"Tom! You double back and get Bama!" the colonel told him. Then to me he said, "You go find Pepper and bring him down there too!"

I headed toward the hotel, hoping to find Culpepper and Mary there.

Calico and I were ordering our meal when we heard gunshots, by the time I got to the doorway for a look I saw Tom enter the saloon and fire a couple more shots. It got silent quickly and with something more important on my mind I just stood there and watched making sure no one else entered the saloon as an unfriendly.

Seeing things quiet down I went back to the table to rejoin Cali, I looked at her sitting there and knew that I had found the treasure that I had been spent many years searching for. I reached into my pocket where I had kept my mother's ring and dropped to one knee and asked her to please marry me.

Cali's face lit up like a new oil lamp and she nearly screamed YES!

I saw her eyes dart off to the side and I turned to see Blackwater standing there with his jaw nearly on the ground. "Flint wants you in the livery" he sputtered.

"I'm done" I told him. "I'll finish any trouble I've started here in town, but after that we're on a train for Denver. Cali here has already agreed to be my treasure."

I guess I looked a little bemused, but I took off my hat and smiled. "Good for the both of you! I hope you find peace and joy!"

Cheyenne rose and looked at me, puzzled. He opened his mouth to speak, but found no words and closed it again.

I nodded to Mary and then again spoke quietly to Culpepper. "This may be some of the trouble you were talkin' about."

He studdied my face but still didn't speak. He looked at his fiance and then back at me.

"Hawk brought in a couple of those LazyS-DD riders, and Bill found somebody rummaging around in the wagons," I continued, replacing my hat. "Colonel's got 'em over at the livery." I turned to go, but another thought croassed my mind. "Three of them riders put some lead in Cody over at the saloon. He's at the doc's and it looks like he'll be okay. Them three are dead."

I left the dinning room. "Culpepper's marryin' that Mary gal!" I thought to myself, "Maybe, just maybe, he's gonna' be okay!" I remembered when Celeste had agreed to marry me.

"Best day of my life!" I said aloud to no one as I headed back to the livery.

Hitting town was like a swallow of healing elixir for what ever had been ailing me the past week. My head was clear for the first time in days and I was beginning to feel like my old self. I had begun to suspect I had a relapse into my days of partaking of peyote and smoking opium. The old Indian who had shown me how to get away from those devils had warned me they could return at times when I was physically weak or not mentally vigilant. I reckon I had lapsed on the mental vigilance part. In fact I felt so good that my old self decided it wanted some breakfast and some real "elixir".

"Boys, follow me, I think I smell a saloon!" Five minutes later we had steaks eggs, fried taters, biscuits with sorghum and a fresh bottle of what the barkeep claimed was genuine Tennessee sour mash. I doubted that the bottle had ever been east of the Mississippi and told that if'n it didn't measure up to our expert analysis, he'd be paying for the bottle.

We wasn't even on our second steak when Flint and the crew came storming thru the bat wings and spread out like they was taking over. J. Mark nodded to me and Cody and there was no doubt he required our presence elsewhere and pronto. Tossing a gold coin on the table, I got up, Cody grabbed the bottle and we were out the door right on the Colonel's heels, headed for the livery. By the looks on folks faces, there was some serious business about to be conducted. Made me wonder what I missed while I was out of touch with reality.

the PLAN , as I understood it was to move along , with out gettin noticed , that ain't been the case so far

Bama , what ya think we move a bit of fraight to add some to the cover story , a tad of mis direction ?

of corse the Col will have to give it a nod , ya might wasnt to ask about it .

I was headed to the hotel , Mattee , was gonna have to choose , her path , one way or the other , I had little say in that

I had signed on so I had to see it out , but I was growing weary of folks taking chances with the lives of others

too many fights , raids and killing , brought un wanted attention , was I getting old ? LAZY ? , or feeling the shadows close in ?

the two more Gray ponies had been brought in by rail , so I had better horses in the string , if I was to move along

I weren't sure what to do at this point ,

there is always that map , same direction , but if ya took a hard turn east , there were the Ozarks waitin

After I entered the barn, I pulled Blackwater aside. He told me of Culpepper's response and I nodded in understanding. "Well if he can't take a dressing down, then I guess we'll move on without him. We'd best watch our back trail real careful like."

I walked over to the men that had been captured and took a look. They were somewhat worse for the wear, but nothing life threatening or permanent yet. I figured it was time to speak up, plain and simple.

"If rumor is to be believed we have 24 riders coming our way, seasoned veteran fighters, that is in addition to whoever is still lurking in the shadows. Culpepper is pulling up stakes and leaving. Cody's healing up from his wounds. The way I see it, we have a few choices and I'm a little tired of giving orders so I'll put it to you . We can set an ambush or trap if you prefer and wipe em out. I've no doubt that we can cut a single group to shreds if we get the drop on them. But that's a big if and to be honest even success will make us a target. So that leads to our next option, which is to take these men and use them as bargaining chips to set up a meeting with someone in power at the Lazy S Double D They don't seem the type to care for their men too much, so, that comes to my favorite-leave the wagons here and take the train back and attack the son's of bitches while their men are looking for us. We capture the boss man and we can end this with no more bloodshed."

Blackwater threw in his thought "Cut off the head of the snake. Hit them where they aren't-you gonna take that lawman up on his offer of a train ride"

I waited for the others to weigh in-we were equals in this as all of our lives were at stake.

Archived