SASS Wire Forum

Fools' Gold

Pepper froze when he heard my hammer being cocked. "Pepper if you pull that trigger it'll be the last thing you ever do. Now you just ease that hammer down and holster that gun; then ease that belt off. Bill you ease that knife away and lets talk about this like the gentlemen we are." I tossed Bill a shotgun to help cover Pepper with and said, "Mattie, Calico git over here we all got some talkin to do!"

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Who said I wanted out? I killed five Comanche during the fight, if I wanted out I would have never returned yesterday with Mattie. Hell, that man with his head in the bag, Cross eyed Willy, he was my 100th bounty! That's 100 times $1000. If I wanted out, why would I have come back? Now, if you don't think I'm worth having around, I'll leave now with whoever wants to go with me, if I stay, you ever draw down on me again you better not hesitate to pull the trigger. Now, you ask Mattie and Calico about whatever we've talked about.""

We kept riding hard, but we began to ease the pace off just a bit. Tom was the unknown and I wanted to gauge how he was doing. Besides the next water would be coming up around dusk at this pace. Finally, Shameless caught the scent of the water and we rode in slow and easy, spread apart by 20 yards a piece. "Hawk-see if you can find some sign before we trample it." Hawk scouted in the failing light and shook his head "No, come on." He said simply

We watered our stock slowly, only allowing the horses a bit of water at a time.

"Are we gonna keep riding?" Tom asked me. I nodded "We are, but we'll take an hour's rest and let the moon come up to give us some light. Lot of this land is riddled with volcanic pits and some have thin tops, ride onto one and you'll drop in."

With that he returned to rubbing down his horse.

Mattie and Cheyenne left the wagon and Bill climbed in. After taking a look at my arm, he said I would need stitches and asked if any of us had a sewing kit. I pointed out where mine was, and he proceeded to sew up the cut on my arm. Dang that hurt, but I didn't want to let him see me cry, that wasn't easy. A few minutes later Cheyenne came back, and I started babbling something about tomorrow being my turn to go riding, so nobody would get the idea I was making a play for Tyrel. Why I said that I didn't know, it may have had something to do with all the whiskey Bill had given me when he was fixing my arm, but with my arm like that I couldn't go back to driving our wagon just yet. I was sure as heck not going to be stuck in it alone with Pearl and Suzanna, especially after Bill told me Ruby wasn't going to make it.

A few minutes later I heard angry voices outside the wagon, then Tyrel yelling for me and Mattie to join him. As I tried climbing out of the wagon, I noticed Bill and Tyrel had guns pointing at Cheyenne, and they were all furious. Bill started demanding to know what I'd been saying to Cheyenne. "I'm not sure....I know we were talking about something, but I don't think it was anything important...I don't remember. Now can I please sit down? There's two of all of ya and yer all screaming at me, and it hurts....I don't think I feel very good...." I quickly slid down the side of the wagon so that I was sitting on the ground, otherwise I probably would have fallen over. Couldn't they see I was injured, why did they have to be mad at me? I thought they'd be glad to be rid of Ruby, and besides, she had attacked me. Hadn't I just done them a big favor?

After I tended to my horses and filled my canteens, I chewed on a piece of jerky and then washed the dust off my face. With a wet bandanna, I went to each horse and cleared the sandy dust from their nostrils. Red's horse was doing fine, but the indian pony was looking a bit tired. "Hawk, you're a good hand with a horse-take a look at this pony-I can't tell if he's fading or just making a show of being worn out."

I had no illusions, the pony wasn't as tired as he seemed and Hawk quickly confirmed it. While Hawk was close we spoke a moment "You think those women back at the wagons would enjoy a visit to an Apache camp?" I asked, grinning at the thought. Hawk almost smiled

We'd been doin a lot of hard riding, and not a lot of talking. I was good with that, and the horses I was on were handling it. I'd spent a little more time on Red's horse that the Indian pony, figuring on trading it up and ridin the Indian pony down more once we got closer. If I had to ditch a horse and run, it was gonna be one that was the spoils of a victory, not one that someone had paid for. And I wanted Red's horse fresher for that possibility.

There'd been plenty of times in my life when I'd done the chasing, and plenty of times when is been chased. And after the last month on the back trails, I was leaned out and in good shape for this sort of thing.

I had some energy left when the Colonel called a stop at a water hole not long after dark. So I ventured the question and received the confirmation that we'd be moving out shortly. I had no complaints about that. Reds horse would be all that much better off for the rest, an I could push the Indian pony harder from here.

I did spend a few moments thinkin about my gear in the wagons. I still had an ill feelin about those women, and the Colonel needin me to strip his spare mount had prevented me havin the time to secure the the few valuable trinkets I had in my saddlebags.

But, allowing anything to distract you is a sure way to lose the game we were playing, so I pushed it from my mind and rubbed the pony down. Mentally rehearsing where my colt hung on my hip, where the spare sat in it's cross draw holster, drawing, firing, and reloading each, and a dozen other things I'd learned to think through before a fight.

I'd ridden mostly in silence. The blood lust had taken over my concious thought and in my bones I felt the hatred for this man welling up to a fever pitch. My last memory of Celeste a vision that repeatedly filled my mind's eye. I could see like it was moments ago. Her rent and discarded clothing and her battered, broken, and ravaged body lying in her own blood. Only her face was still recognisable, looking like she had come through some final tribulation to find peace at last.

Now all I could think of was ending her torturer's life in a manner much worse. In many a lonesome moment I'd played out in my mind how I would slowly and completely make him pay for my loss. Each time some new way of exacting my revenge had been added to the tableau. I reminded myself, "You gotta' catch him first!" As that thought presented itself it seemed that I was awakened and refreshed.

We'd ridden for hours in the moonlit night and the dawn was finaly creeping up to replace the darkness. It would be another hour before the sun would show its face. The sorrel was tiring, but he knew or felt the urgency of our quest and pushed on. Man and beast were locked in a steady pace that ate up miles and devoured the distance between us and our prey.

"Colonel!" I heard Hawk call out, "We'd better rest these mounts!" and with that we slowed to a walk.

"There's water a mile or so up ahead. We'll walk 'em in and water 'em slow," the colonel replied. He turned to me and said, "You can start a fire and boil some coffee before the sun comes up. We can't have anyone seeing our smoke, so do it fast."

"I got no gear!" I reminded him. "We'll just hafta' share a slug of liquor and another strip or two of jerky."

"Only a short sip! And drink all the water you can hold." Flint warned. "This is the last water for thirty miles. Give the horses a half ration of grain each and change mounts."

"We'd better fill all the canteens then," Tom added, "and now would be a good time to check all of your weapons!"

Fifteen minutes later we rode up to a stand of trees. Hawk dismounted and padfooted into the midst of them. He reappeared moments later, "No one here," he said.

"Fan out and look for sign!" I said. "We've gotta be getting close!"

"Fan out and look for sign!" Blackwater said. "We've gotta be getting close!"

I looked to Hawk "Your eyes are better than mine for this task-how about I tend to your horses and free you up?" I asked Hawk nodded, and picked up his lead rope and reins and handed them to me without a word. He moved south of the water where there was a little bit of cover and greenery, but it was thin and poor graze at best. In spite of the thin cover, it took only moments before Hawk had disappeared from view.

I tended to the horses and talked to Tom. He had the vigor of youth still but he was seasoned. I had no idea if his gun skills matched his heart, but if they did, he'd be one to side with in a fight.

I saw him checking his guns, and in the desert that was a good idea. He pointed to my knife. "Isn't that a bit much?" he said

I chuckled softly "I suppose it is, but five years of a Cavalry sabre at my side makes it seem a bit less so. Besides, it can be a bit intimidating in a fight-it is what educated folks call a psychological edge. I prefer to say it'll make 'em piss their trousers. It'll do as a light hatchet around camp or a shovel in a pinch. So yeah, it is a bit much . . ."

I stopped short as I saw Hawk appear moving quickly in our direction- he handed Blackwater a single horseshoe. That old Apache had done it again.

He showed us the sign and we examined every detail for ourselves.

Hawk and Blackwater were in agreement, we were no more than 10 miles behind the man. I wasn't sure he could be half that far away.

"That horse he's riding, it'll be lame before the end of the day if he keeps going. He'll likely die of thirst if we don't find him." I said

Blackwater looked at me "I thought you said this was the only water around? Hawk found the shoe and sign less than a mile from here-his horse should have smelled the water."

I shook my head "There's other water nearby, but it isn't fit to drink for man or beast. If they ran into it first he and the horse will both be cramping up and hurting in a few hours. Blackwater I know you want a chance at this man, but we're going to have to save his life before you can kill him."

Blackwater grinned like a possum with a mouth full of prickly pears. "Run all you want you son of a bitch, you'll just die tired."

"How far to the Butte?" I asked. I had no intention of letting him slip away this time. I could read anticipation in Tom's face as well. He'd been on this outlaw's trail longer than I had and for no worse reason. Before the sun set tomorrow I would put behind me a black and oppressive part of my life.

"Still more than a day's ride at the pace we're moving," Flint replied. He could see the fire smoldering in my eyes and he turned his head away. "We have to rest the horses at least 'til the sun is full up."

"We could walk him down before dark, the shape he's likely in." Hawk observed. "He may die, but he won't get away now."

"I want him alive!" I responded. "I want him to KNOW who's got him and all of the whys for how he's gonna' die!" I glared at each of them and then to the south. "Any of you that have a weak stomach can move off when I start in on him."

"I aim to see him die with my own eyes!" Tom spoke up. "For my own reasons, I want to know he's paid for the things he done to me and my corporal too."

"Y'all take a rest for a spell," Hawk advised, "the sun'll be up in half an hour." He walked toward the edge of the trees to the south.

Tom and J. Mark walked the horses to keep them limbered up and cool them down some more.

I loaded the big Swiss hunting rifle and checked the scope, a new addition, and cycled it a time or two, catching the ejected round and reloading it each time. I sat on a deadfall and laid the big gun accross my lap. "Won't be long now," I mumbled to myself.

"That fellow ain't never seen me or Hawk-we could ride up, give him some water, make him feel comfortable and keep him alive for you, if you felt like it. If he draws down on either of us, we can wing him and save the rest for you."

Hawk looked at me "I ain't a conscript"

I looked back at him "Fine-If Hawk were of a mind, then we could ride up, give him some water, make him feel comfortable and keep him alive for you,"

"I can see that working." I answered, "I just always pictured running him to ground."

"Don't seem quite right to me." Tom added

"We have run him to ground, most likely," Hawk pointed out. "If he drank bad water that was his mistake and he done it 'cause he was bein' hunted and hounded by us!"

"It would cut down on the risk of him gettin' some of us in the deal!" I thought aloud.

"It'd be a bit ironic to take him down without a fight. Kinda' payback for the way he did your wife after you makin' the ransom and all." Flint pointed out with a smirk on his face.

"One last turn of treachery!" again I thought aloud. "I'm beginning to like this. What about you Tom?"

"Let me think on it for a bit." our newest companion replied. "We need to be riding!" He handed me the reigns to my horses.

Flint handed Hawk the lead to his mounts. "Let's get to it then! We can decide on the trail." He threw a leg over his horse and pulled down on the brim of his hat. The rest of us did the same and urged our horses onto the trail.

"Cody, come here a minute, will you?" As he approached, I warned him with a look not to react or raise his voice. "Right now, you and me are gonna take those remaining two trouble making whores, Pearl and Suzanna, and tie 'em up. If you have to "calm" them first, a good, solid pop to the jaw oughta do the trick. Do you have a problem with that?"

He looked at me kinda cross eyed for a few seconds and said, "I guess you got your reasons, and far as I know, you're still in charge of these wagons, so let's get to it!"

I walked towards Suzanna and, as I got close, called her name so she'd look at me. When she did, I clipped her jaw with the butt of the ten gauge, dropping her like sack of flour. A few seconds later she was hogtied like a calf for branding. Cody had let Pearl go for a few seconds too long and she saw Suzanna go down, so he had a short chase before he could drop and tie her. "Cody, let's get these two tied back to back against yonder tree while we have a little discussion with the rest."

"Everybody gather round and pay attention. What I'm fixin' to say is important, and I'll brook no interruptions or questions till I'm done. If that doesn't suit ya, get in line and I'll stack ya up with Pearl and Suzanna yonder." There was dead silence, even from Culpepper, which kinda surprised me. Mattie looked like she had seen a ghost and was as white as a sheet.

"We're moving out in fifteen minutes. Get everything stowed and hitched. Cody, check all the traces and rigs before anyone sets out. I'm making Cody my segundo as of now and anytime I'm not with the wagons, he is in charge and his orders are to be obeyed just as if they came directly from me. We're leaving Pearl and Suzanna right where they are. They're tied loose enough that they'll be able to untie themselves once they come to. Where they go from here is their business. I'm leaving 'em some water and food, but no horses. This topic is most definitely not open for further discussion. Calico, you and Mattie are on probation till Santa Fe, after that, we'll see. Saddle up!"

Without waiting for questions, I turned and checked the cinch strap on Stonewall, my big gray, and then checked my guns. The stock on the ten gauge had not been cracked or loosened by tapping Suzanna's jaw. I took both my Colt's and dropped a sixth round in the chamber of each, just in case, dropped them back in their holsters and thonged them down. The '73 was loaded and resting in the saddle scabbard on the right side of the saddle. Satisfied that all was well in my world, I hollered, "Roll 'em out! Let's go! Move, move move!"

When Red first told everyone to gather round, I was a little nervous, obviously Mattie had unwittingly done something she shouldn't have, and now we were both in trouble for it. The men had treated us decent enough so far, but I knew that could turn around in a heartbeat if we weren't careful. Tyrel helped me to my feet, and stayed close in case I wasn't able to stay on them. To my relief, Red said Mattie and I could stick with them, at least for a while, but I wasn't the least disappointed to hear that we'd be leaving the other two behind.

After he was done, I pointed out to Mattie that she'd have to do the driving on our wagon for a while, she just nodded and went to make sure the team was ready. I trailed after Red, calling out “Mr. Red, can I speak to you for a minute?” As he turned to face me, I almost changed my mind, I could tell he was not in the mood for casual conversation, but that wasn't what was on my mind. “Mr. Red, I was wondering, about Ruby....”

“We ain't gonna waste no more of our time burying her, if that's what you want,” he growled, “she can feed the buzzards for all I care!”

“Well, that's fine with me, but not what I'm concerned about. I just wanted to make sure that someone checks her over, makes sure she ain't got nothin' hidden on her that ain't hers. I don't know if she managed to take anything out of Tom's bag before I caught her at it. I'd hate to be the one to have to tell Tom that something of his got left behind....”

“Already done that, and didn't find anything, at least not anything that wasn't hers. Now, we really need to get going, do you need some help getting in your wagon? Don't look like you're feeling too good yet, and don't need you falling and hurting yourself any further. C'mon, I'll give ya a hand,” he told me, a little bit nicer now.

After he had helped me climb up into the wagon, I laid down for a while, my head was still aching something fierce. I thought about what had happened that afternoon, and knew I needed to have a long private talk with Mattie. Oh, I was sure the girl hadn't meant to cause any trouble, but she needed to watch herself, there was obviously something going on here that we didn't understand, and any more interference from either of us could end up costing both of us dearly. I knew none of the men trusted us but I had the feeling Red kinda wanted to, but we had to prove we deserved it first. I had no idea how to go about doing that, but the sooner I did the better off me and my young friend would be.

We'd been down the trail about an hour and everyone was getting settled in real good.

I rode up to where Cody was riding, just ahead of the lead wagon and told him,"Look, old man, I guess I'm gettin' soft, but I'm going back and check on those two whores, maybe leave them with a knife and a pistol we took off those Indians."

Cody just looked stunned and stared at me for a minute. "Well, Boss, I guess you know best. I'll try to keep everything under control till ya get back!"

With that I touched my spurs to Stonewall's flanks and took off down our back trail. As I neared our old campsite, I could hear the two whores arguing with each other about how to untie the knots, whose fault it was that they were tied to a tree, and what they were gonna do to me and Cody just as soon as they got loose. All of a sudden I was tired. Nothing was going to change with these two - they would always be a burden on whoever was around them. I swung "Earthquake" up to my waist and quickly emptied both barrels, swinging it slightly between shots. I gathered up the water and food I had left them, forked Stonewall and headed back to the wagons.

I handed the food, water and weapons to Cody when I got back, said, "Turns out I didn't need them. Put 'em back in one o' the wagons for me, would ya? I'm gonna ride drag for a bit, if ya need me."

I was relieved that Bama didn't want any part of Bill's and Tyrel's pissing match. If there was going to be a reason for them not to trust me, I sure wouldn't show it in camp! I started off slowly after making sure I had Crosseyed Willy along with me. I unloaded the Colt that I had had in Bill's ribs, came up along side his wagon and handed it to him, to get the feel of a finely tuned pistol. He looked at me with some put off look, intil he thumbed the hammer spur back to full cock and as he lifted his thumb off of the spur, the hammer slammed home without him ever touching the trigger. He got a bit pale as he realized that he would have surely died had Tyrel been so foolish as to have shot me. "Pays not to act hastily" I told him as he handed my revolver back to me.

I reloaded the Colt and urged the Ablino on our way, with midnight and Crosseyed Willy's mount as well. He had followed Mattie and I back the day before. I had left the saddle behind because of the weight, but had kept his firearms and knife, figuring to give them to Mattie and Calico when the time was right.

I was still incensed about Flint's remark about killing me, having someone else do it indeed. But, if this journey played out as well as it was supposed to, then I'd let it go. Anyone of them were fortunate not to have any papers on them, if this didn't make me rich enough not to worry about it. I already had enough put away to buy enough acreage for a large ranch and build it, but this could take it beyond my expectations.

I put those thoughts away by studying the views and then by thoughts of Mattie and Calico. Both were younger than me by more than a little, but I could give them the life that either one of them deserved.

Something was still so familiar about Calico, she had handled that knife so well.... I had heard of a dove called the Black Widow, i didn't know which was drawing me to her more, her looks or the intrigue of trying to figure out why she was so familiar to me.

We rode on for a few more hours, and finally I felt good enough to get up and climb up on the seat next to Mattie. I got her to tell me exactly what happened, and I gave her a long talking to. I told her that if she heard any more comments that she wasn't supposed to hear, she needed to keep it to herself, no matter what. I needed to get the both of us to somewhere safe, and we didn't need to get involved with whatever was going on between these fellas.

When we stopped for the night, I tried to get her to come help me cook dinner, but she didn't feel like facing Bill or Tyrel. Cheyenne came by and offered to help her unhitch the team, so I went to the fire to start cooking. The next thing I knew, Tyrel was at my elbow, volunteering to help. That surprised me a little, especially after what had happened earlier, and I knew he had to be tired. I still wasn't feeling all that well though, so I gratefully accepted his offer, and it wasn't long before we had dinner ready.

The whole time Cheyenne was helping Mattie and Tyrel was helping me the two of them were giving each other hard looks. I wasn't sure if it was because of us ladies or because of the earlier argument, but it was making me uncomfortable. After Mattie had gotten her plate, she took it back to the wagon to eat. She was still scared to be around the men, but thankfully none of them said anything and let her go. I sat down on a log that Bill had dragged close to the fire for me, and the next thing I knew I had Cheyenne sitting on one side of me, and Tyrel on the other. Oh great, normally I would have enjoyed the company, but with the two of them mad at each other I wasn't too sure this was really a good spot to sit and eat...

Pepper , in your attempt to sweeten that pistol , ya ruined the trigger , ya need to get it fixed properly

could be ya cut it at a angle , or ya cut it too far , and the trigger is gonna have to be replaced ,

I have a few parts , that will get ya killed , if ya need to aim for a long pistol shot , ya can't see the sights with your thumb holdin the hammer back

I reached for the toothpick , Mary , don't you or Pepper move , there is a rattler coiled up right between you 'll

I flipped the knife and stuck the snake to the ground , about 6 in from em

well now , looks like we have some more meat , and one of the girls gets a necklace

now to fix that pistol ,

Cody ya think the skin is worth savin ? kinda small only about 3 1/2 fot or so , but it has 6 rattles adn a button

should be good eating , got some bacon grease to fry it in

That was right nice of Bill to kill that baby rattler, but he was sure wrong about my Colt. I told him, "well iffn I have to aim, it's simple, I use my left one for that" which I drew and promptly shot the tarantula no two inches from his hand. Bill smiled as he saw the critter disappear, then I asked him, "would you throw this coin up for me?" and threw him a twentyfive cent piece, and finished with, "this is what you do when you don't need to aim." He threw it up and I drew my finely tuned Colt and put a large dent into the coin. "Never was much for aiming" I told Bill as I poured him a spot of fine sipping whiskey from my flask.

I walked over to the wagon that stored my things and pulled two cans of pineapple from it, opened them, gave one to each woman first and asked them to share with the others.

It had been decided while we rode that once Hawk decided the tracks were nice and fresh Blackwater and I would stop and wait for two hours, then trail Hawk and the Colonel. Giving them time to catch up to The Man and get their hooks in him, gettin close under the guise that they could help with the cramps and weakness The Man must be feeling by now.

It was mid morning when Hawk looked around at us and informed us it was time to find a spot to sit. So we did, Blackwater noting the time on his watch.

We were in a small bowl just short of a low ridge, and we got down and made ourselves comfortable. Hawk led off at a brisk pace, and before long him and the Colonel disappeared over the ridge. Neither Blackwater nor myself made a move to start a fire, or make conversation. Being this close, it was all about to end, and we could think of nothing else.

Blackwater waited with all the outward patience of an old soldier, but I was antsy. I switched my saddle over to Red's horse, having ridden the pony for quite a few miles now. My left leg had that tingling sensation it sometimes got before it started feeling numb, and that was only adding to my irritability.

I kept my mouth shut as long as I could after that, but when I decided we'd surely waited long enough, I asked, "how long we been sittin here? I can't stand not knowing how things are goin up ahead."

He looked at his watch, which he had sittin open in his left hand, then with an annoyed look from under his eyebrows at me, said "30 minutes... Ride up on that ridge and have a look south. Don't go no further though, and if there's anything worth lookin at come back for me."

I left the pony ground hitched and climbed into the saddle, tryin to hide that my leg wasn't quite right. As I was gathering my reigns Blackwater stood up and threw me a glass. I nodded my thanks and started the horse at a trot toward the spot on the ridge where we'd last seen the rest of our party.

Once on top I was disappointed to see empty ground in front of me, but I got out the glass and after a few minutes gettin used to lookin through it, I followed the tracks of Hawk and the Colonel out as far as I could with it.

Except, just there at the bottom of the ridge, the ground was roughed up more than it should have been, and there were more tracks than four or five horses should have made leading out from there.

Knowing Blackwater was staring a hole in my back from down in the bowl, and how he'd most likely be angry that I was leaving the crest, I touched the horse into a canter and aimed at the roughed up ground.

Once there I saw immediately that about a dozen horses had been heading east around the bottom of this ridge. When they'd gotten to Hawk and Flint's tracks they'd stopped, and their horses had been restless while they sat here. Then the tracks tuned south and followed the four sets of tracks left by our two friends.

My mind racing I muttered a curse word and swung down for a closer look... Sure enough, these horses were all shod... And as I stared at the ground I couldn't think of a single reason a dozen honest men would make a 90 degree turn to follow two horses with riders and two without in this country. Plus just over there and only slightly older were the stumbling tracks of our prey. This group wasn't friendly...

I needed to go get Blackwater, and we needed to get movin fast. I hadn't seen any dust in the sky, so Hawk and Flint might have no warning when this bunch caught up with them, or worse they might be busy with The Man.

I straitened up and turned toward the horse. Why had I moved so far from him lookin at tracks? 6 paces separated us. Something snapped in the air below my shoulder, the dirt on the ground between me and the horse exploded into the air... And a shot sounded behind me. I took a longer step. Red's horse was probably sound, be he didn't like that dirt flying up next to him, and he started backing away fast, with my rifle in the boot still. I half jumped, half ran to close the distance and grab that rifle and I saw his flank shudder and deform, and a second shot sounded, even closer. The blood was rushing in my ears now and my vision was getting that unreal sharpness it always got when I decided to fight, and as Red's horse spun and stumbled into a run away from me I spun too, back toward whoever was comin up on me and shooting my damn horse! And where the hell had they come from!

Four riders were comin on and coming fast, which accounted for them missing their shots so far. They were strung out though, and the lead two riders were blocking clear shots from the men behind them.

I didn't remember drawing my pistols, but that was often the case... I didn't remember pulling the hammer back with my right thumb either, but I was running on instinct now, fightin was something I knew how to do, and my mind had gone clear, though the blood was still rushing through my ears. My first shot spilled the lead rider out of his saddle at 50 yards and he hit the dirt hard on his back, bounced and rolled to his belly and his legs kicked out at nothing. My left gun came up and fired and the bullet burned the neck of the second horse, it shied off to my right. Out of the corner of my eye I could see a few rocks, maybe 20 yards to my left, that might offer me a little cover. My hands were working the colts, whamwhamwhamwham, the right and left gun barkin loud, I had two rounds left in each, but one man down and the second trying to regain control of his horse to my right. The third and fourth riders were checking their horses and ducking in the saddles, edging over toward the second as they came closer. Something snatched at my left pant leg and I turned and jumped into a run toward the rocks, limpin a bit despite the excitement, my left leg just about completely numb now.

20 yards, 15, 10, 8, I prayed that Blackwater was on his way to the top of that ridge with that big huntin rifle. 6 yards, then 4, now hooves hammered close and I looked over my right shoulder, the fourth rider was 15 yards and closing, I half turned toward him and my arm came up level, the riders face was smiling at me over a pistol. The gun bucked in my right hand and his head snapped back, his hat going strait in the air over a red mist and his pistol slipping from limp fingers. His horse cut a hard left and the riders body hit hard almost at my feet.

There was a smack and a pop at my belt on my left hip and a stinging started all over the inside of my left arm and my ribs. A round had hit and set off one or two of the 44's in my belt. "Not even seriously wounded yet!" I thought as I took a knee and fired the last round out of my right gun and shoved it down in the holster, tossing the left gun to the right hand I had the riders dropped pistol by the barrel in my left hand and I stood and turned and dove all in one movement the last few yards into the rocks.

I hit and shoved hard with my legs and got into cover behind the first large rock just as two rounds hit it and tuned off into the sky with an angry whine.

A quick glance over the top showed the second rider had bailed off his horse and taken a knee behind a rock, the ridge to his left, with his rifle over it. The third rider had also dismounted, and apparently having a better horse was standing behind it levering a round into his rifle for another shot over the saddle.

I ducked back behind the rock as rifle rounds began slapping and whining around it.

I put the picked up pistol down and began punching empties out of my left gun, the picked up pistol was a S&W Russian and I had no ammo for it. My left gun reloaded I grabbed the Russian with my left hand and popped over the rock and hammered off a round, thumbed the hammer and let it slip to fire one more. I dropped back down without seeing the effect of either shot and started reloading the right gun.

At least all this shooting will get Hawk and Flint looking back and not caught unawares, though it would almost certainly motivate our prey to the greatest speed he was capable of.

Several more rounds hit and bounced away with their angry cries at being denied flesh... I scooped up the Russian and held it over the rock, thumbed the hammer and heard a click...

Where the hell was Blackwater!?!

"Pepper, let's you and me take the first nighthawk shift", I said casually. "You take the clockwise patrol and I'll take the counter clockwise. When needed, we can switch. Keep your eyes open for sign that we're cutting trail of anyone ahead of us and I'll look for sign that anyone's been scouting our camp on foot. By the way, Pepper, didja hear any gunfire while I was gone?"

"No, Bama, don't think so", he said hesitantly, like he was being tested, "Should I have?"

"Nope, I said, just wondering. See ya next time around the circuit."

"You hard headed..." I muttered as I charged to the dunn and threw a leg over the saddle! I'd told Tom not to get out of my sight!! I was still poking around with my legs for the stirrups when we topped the hill. That was when I heard the reports of pistol fire from the direction that Tom had taken. I could see the riders galloping down on him and, as he tried to reach his horse, the puffs of dust that appearing between him and the startled animal. One rider went down and a second veered sharply away. Tom was doing his work with relentless efficiency. As the third rider bore down on him I slid off the back of my horse and flopped down into a prone position, the big Swiss rifle already coming to bear.

I peered through the scope and took aim at the man behind the rocks nearest to my companion. I squeezed the trigger and his head exploded less than a heartbeat later. The other rider turned to see where the shot had come from and as he paused I chambered a second round. Just as he tried to mount his horse and ride away from the fray, my second shot struck his breastbone and he tumbled over the back of his horse into the dirt.

Back into the saddle, I spurred the horse down toward where Tom had taken cover. Bama's horse stood fifty yards away, head down. By now it was apparent that the urgency of the situation had passed and I could see Tom standing, punching empties out of his pistol. I eased over to where the horse stood. blood shimmered off of his flank just below the saddle skirt. I pulled my kerchief from around my neck and poured some water from my canteen onto it. "Easy boy," I said as I wiped away the blood. There was a four inch crease down the animal's flank stopping just short of the cinch which was nicked by the bullet as it passed by. "C'mon! You'll be all right." I said and grabbed the reigns to lead him back to where Tom waited.

"There's more of 'em!" Tom warned as I rode up and dismounted. "They're off down the trail where Flint and Hawk went."

I looked down the trail and saw no smoke or dust. "How many?"

"At least half a dozen! Maybe more!" he answered as he looked over his wounded mount.

They were moving slow. That no dust could be seen meant that they were trailing our friends, trying to take them by suprise. The shooting would alert both parties that something was amiss. The riders between us had just lost the element of suprise and now had to decide whether to come back and help their mates or try to overpower Flint and Hawk who now knew they were coming. We had them caught in between us.

"You okay?" I asked Tom as I climbed for a third time into the saddle.

He nodded, "Let's ride!"

"Slow down a little," I said, "We don't know what we're riding into." I remembered the lessons from my cavalry days. "We can always go charging up if we hear shooting. Hawk and the colonel know there's something up, so they'll be ready I suspect."

We rode at a canter, covering the trail on both sides as we rode. There were eight of them as near as I could tell and they were moving slowly so as to not raise dust. Suddenly the tracks veered off of the trail to the west. I raised my hand and we halted. I scanned the surrounding terrain. I pointed to my right and Tom joined me at my edge of the trail. "They broke off that way," I whispered. "Probably when they heard the shots."

"There's cover over that way," Tom observed. "Should we circle around and see about 'em or try to find the colonel and Hawk?"

"No need to look for trouble," I answered. "We know they're there and they've lost any advantage of suprise." I turned the dunn back up the trail. "We need to get our other horses and get to our pards fast!"

We spurred the horses into a full gallop. In minutes we had our second mounts and were again on the trail to where J. Mark and Hawk had gone. As we passed the point where the others had left the trail, we slowed and began again to scout for signs of them. "Don't want no ambush waitin' on us," Tom mused as we pushed on at a walk.

"If I don't miss my guess, they're the ones liable to be ambushed." I thought of the skills and the tendancies of my longtime friends. Hawk or the colonel either one was as sneaky and as trail savvy as anybody there ever was. I just wondered if I had enough knowledge of their skills to spot their trap myself. After another couple of miles I raised my hand to call a halt. The trail led into a narrow gulley the was more than twice the height of a man on horseback. There were hills on either side more than forty yards away and the trail disappeared around the wall of the gulley to the right. With hand signals i told Tom to steer wide of the gulley to the left and let him know that I would do the same, but to the right.

It was slow going, but after about a hundred yards I spied Hawk's pony standing hard up against the hill off to my right, no saddle or bridle on him. I dismounted and dropped the reigns to my horses, looking back toward the trail to my left.

"You sound like a buffalo traipsin' along like that," a low voice came from the brush.

"Hawk!" I answered. "We got company!"

"I know!" he stood and motioned me into the brush where he hid. "Me 'n' the colonel heard all the shootin' while ago. Just about the time we found yer boy!"

"You got him?" the thought of the others out there vanished for a second.

"Colonel's got him hangin' srpead eagle from a couple of trees over that way a piece," he grinned, nodding toward the other side of the trail.

"I sent Tom around that side of the gulley. I hope Flint don't shoot him 'fore he sees who it is!"

"Colonel's got a clear view of the trail and his surroundings too." Hawk reassured me. "These others. How many?"

"More'n half a dozen as near as we can tell," I recounted the part where they'd turned off of the trail. "There was four more, but me 'n' Tom did for them."

"Then that was the shootin' we heard while ago?"

"Yeah! Tom was nicked up a mite where they hit his ammo belt. They got close in on him before I could pick off the last two from up the hill."

"Let's us go find Tom an the colonel and we'll figure out our next move." Hawk stood up and headed to the southern end of the gulley. I grabbed the horses and followed as the indian pony tagged along behind.

Hawk put his ear to the ground "Riders coming. No more than a mile back. 6, maybe more." I nodded "Then let's change our plans." I pulled out a lasso and tossed my spare mount's lead rope to Hawk. "We'll run down our man and tie him up before they can overtake us. As soon as we have him, throw him over a horse and hightail it to cover." Hawk nodded and we proceeded to do just that.

It wasn't more than 30 minutes before we saw the man, riding ahead. I pulled up my mount and grabbed my Sharps .44-77, sliding a round in and adjusting the vernier sight. "Sorry horse" I whispered as I eased back the set trigger and launched a round. The bullet flew true it's 400 yards or so and slammed into the horse's rectum tearing through it's guts and into it's lungs. It piled up as if it had been pole axed and the rider hit the ground and didn't move.

Hawk started riding "If you broke his neck, Blackwater will break yours."

I returned my rifle to the scabbard and rode up to the man. When he hit the ground he had been knocked out. He lay sprawled out and Hawk and I came up on him guns drawn from either side.

I tied him up and we hauled him across Shameless' back and rode hard for the nearest cover. It wasn't much, a few trees and some boulders . . . but it was a spot of my choosing.

"Hawk, how long?" With his ear to the ground and the his nose in the wind he responded "They heard us and are closing. Maybe 10 minutes."

Patting my Sharps I pointed to a half dozen points of decent cover. "Move between cover and use your Winchester to get them off their horses, then the fun begins."

I moved into position next to where the three fingered man was tied up. He started coming to and cracked him across the head with the butt of my revolver.

"They turned off the trail about a mile and a half back up the road from the entrance to this gulley." I told the colonel when we met up with him and Tom a few minutes later.

Flint tipped his head toward Tom and smiled. "He's lucky I had a clear range of fire! I was layin' for those hombres that were following us when he rode across that little clearing." he patted the .44-.77. "Hawk had 'em at half a dozen and about ten minutes out."

"Us shootin' up their friends probably spooked 'em a little" Tom chuckled coldly. "I counted eight horses."

"Musta' been 'bout the time the colonel shot ol' Three Fingers' horse out from under him." Hawk looked over at the outlaw suspended from the trees.

Tom walked over to where the man was just regaining consciousness. "I been lookin' fer you for a long time mister. Too bad for you I didn't catch up to you sooner!" He pointed at me and said in a mirthful growl, "See that big fella' over yonder? You done him the kind of hurt that makes a man hateful crazy." Tom shook his head slowly. "I only wanted you dead. That man wants your soul!"

"Tom! Over here!" Hawk called softly. "Let's have a look at that mess under yer arm!" Hawk peeled away Tom's shirt and examined the damage. He picked out a few small pieces of brass and doused the rash looking wound with whiskey from a flask he'd had inside his own shirt. Tom grimmaced and hissed as the alcohol burned an cleansed the wound. "That's gonna have to do fer now. We'll tend to it better after thins get settled." There were burned places on Tom's trousers but the lead had hit harmlessly in the dirt beside his foot when the cartridges had exploded

"We need to get these riders dealt with," J. Mark advised the rest of us. Looking at me and Tom he said,"Now that the two of you are here, I think we can fix their wagon in short order." He stooped and grabbed a small stick and began tracing in the dirt. "I'll move to the foot of the gulley and set up where I can pick them off as they make that turn to come out down there." He looked up to be sure we all understood. "Hawk, if you'll take Tom and find cover above the entrance back there, the two of you can set in on 'em from behind after they pass you by. Drive 'em into the wash and keep 'em hemmed up in there." He looked at me and smiled. "You take up the spot where Hawk was and it'll be like shootin' fish in a barrel from that rim on the right!"

We checked our weapons again and headed to take up the positions the colonel had pointed out.

"Wait for them all to come into view. I'll fire the first shot to start the party, then you two go to work. Hawk, you take the men up front-Tom you start mid pack and I'll start with the men in back. Blackwater, I'd appreciate it if you got that man to screaming like Satan was having his way with him once the shooting starts."

Blackwater looked at the man who had also heard my suggestion and he was visibly moved by our attention to his plight. Blackwater pinched his nose and splashed some water on the man's face. "Oh that won't be a fraction of what I have in mind." He said.

It wasn't long before the men rode single file into the gully. The range was close for my Sharps and I took extra careful aim when I saw the last two men line up in my sights. "Phumphh!!" the rifle barked as the 500 grain pill burst out of the barrel on it's way and even at the 300 yard range we heard the impact as the bullet went through the first man's throat and the second man's chest. Then Hawk and Tom opened up and the screaming started . . .

Cody , what ya think you is gonna make outta that snakeskin ?

as things got quite for the time being , I ask Cody , in a real low voice , What do ya make of Pepper shooting all the time ?

Ya think , he is attempting to inpress the ladys , us , or is it to give our location to someone ?

for someone , that is a bounty hunter , he sure don't seem to want to be un-noticed , don't make any sence to me .

with all the hostiles about , leaving no sign , is what we ortta be doing , as least the least we can with these wagons .

maybe , when the other party links back up with us , things may make a bit more sence ,

ya got pleny of ammo close to hand ?

here is to hoping we don't need it tonite

When Bill told us about the snake, I almost panicked, I HATE snakes! I thought my heart had stopped for a second until he told us he'd gotten it. I was still pretty shook up, so Cheyenne told me he had something that might help calm me down. He went to one of the wagons, and came back with two cans. He opened one and handed it to me, telling me to have a few bites. “What is it?” I asked, but he just grinned and took the other can over to Mattie. I ate a few pieces, then asked him again, “What is this stuff?”

“Pineapple, ain't you ever had any before?” was the answer, but I shook my head. I didn't even know what it was, but it sure tasted good. I shared the rest with Bill and Cody, and Mattie shared hers with Cheyenne and Red. After we were all done I went and gave Cheyenne a kiss on the cheek and a big smile, and told him thanks. A little while later me and Mattie decided to turn in, we were both really tired and my headache hadn't gone completely away.

Mattie fell asleep almost as soon as her head hit the pillow, but it took me quite a while to drift off. At first I was thinking about the other three women, in a way I wished things could have been different between all of us, I'd never had any close friends after leaving Iowa except for Mattie. All the same, I didn't really miss any of them, and didn't feel the least bit sorry for Ruby, she's the one who had attacked me after all.

What was really bothering me was something Cheyenne had said early, something about all the bounties he'd collected. So he was really a bounty hunter? That worried me, as I had no idea if there was a price on my head or not. Before Mattie and I had left that little cow town we were stuck in, there had been a few murders, men being found with knife wounds and no witnesses to how they'd gotten them. A few fingers had started pointing my way, as I had earned quite a reputation with my knife the last few years. I admit, I'd stabbed a few men that were either trying to hurt me or in a couple of cases some of the other girls in the saloon, but I'd actually only killed one, and there were witnesses that time to back up my claims of self-defense. I had no idea who had killed those other ones, but I wasn't too sure if anyone would believe me if it came down to that.

I knew disappearing would look rather suspicious, but when Marvin came along and made his offer of taking us to Santa Fe, I jumped on it, probably way too fast. I should have known better than to trust him, but I needed out of that town, and I didn't hesitate to grab Mattie and what little belongings we had, and make a run for it. Whether or not they were looking for me probably depended on whether or not the murders continued after I left, but I had no way of knowing. I certainly didn't dare ask Cheyenne...

I was glad that Bama wanted me to work with him during the first watch, even if we weren't doing it together. I took my boots off and slipped on a pair of moccasins and started my watch. That kiss from Calico was fresh on my cheek the whole time as I did my watch, every now and then taking a peek into the camp to check on them without being seen.

I had heard the conversation between Bill and Tyrel, guess I shouldn't join in their pissing match from this point on. They din't trust me? Both of them had drawn down on me in one way or another, they wouldn't get a second chance, unless they earned my trust. Now Bama, I trusted him completely. The women, I trusted them so completely that I was going to make sure they both had something besides a knife to protect themselves.

During the watch I had collected another rattler, skinned it, and cut it up placing it in the pot filled with water that was over the fire. When morning came we would have meat for breakfast. I would just tell the two girls that it was rabbit.

After Bill and Tyrel took their turn on watch I shook Calico awake and told her, "Here, take this and put it somewhere safe," and pointed to her bussom, "don't tell anyone I gave you this, but use it if you need too," and carefully slipped her a derringer. She slipped into her corset and her eyes lit up a little, "OOoo, that's cold!" she whispered. I touched my fingers to my lips and then placed them on her forehead and told her to sleep well.

I had one for Mattie as well, I just needed the right time to give it to her, ole Bill and Tyrel would really have a hissyfit if they knew I had armed the two girls.

I climbed up on one side of the entrance and Tom not far off on the other and we waited, laying flat on our backs as we heard the horses walking back and the ridings couching and farting as they went into the trap. I was thinking they must surely be civilians as they are way to noisy and sat up, lean up against a rock, cocked the hammer back on my Henry and almost at the same time, Tom and I send hot lead flying into the those men as Blackwater made ole Three Fingers scream like the devil had just got a hold of his very soul. Indeed , he had !

My first round struck home just left of the breastbone, and I quickly levered another round and sent the lead flying toward the same target. It struck just below where the first round had hit, making a fine red spray in the morning sun and knocking the man from his horse.

Tom was just as fast with his Winchester too. Although, I could tell he had not fought along side any southern troops, he had experience of a gun fighter and knew how to use it well. And use his Winchester fast too. He matched me and my Henry shot for shot. This was like shooting fish in a barrel, till I felt the sting of tiny rocks hitting my face and the angry growl of a missed round flying off into the air.

The Colonel was cutting men down with his Sharps as well and Blackwater was tearing them apart at will. Soon the gully was filled with dead bodies, dead horses, blood, the smell of sulfur and blood and death. And Blackwater was walking back toward ole Three Fingers...........................

When the colonel told me to make him scream I knew just what to do. I pulled my knife and stripped and inch wide piece of skin from his elbow to his arm pit then repeated the process on the other side. He cursed me and screamed epithets at all of us, but I wasn't satisfied. Again with my knife I cut the waist band of his trousers and they dropped to the ground. I did to him what we do to bull calves in the spring. I grabbed a handfull of dirt and shoved it into the wound, "Wouldn't want ya' to bleed out before I'm done with you!"

I turned and ran to my assigned spot with the hunting rifle and my cartridges. Several of the riders were already down and out of the fight and I chose the man that was farthest from the central line of fire. He was holed up behind a big rock with the dirt bank against his back. I was bearing down on him when a round from the colonel's gun ricocheted off the bank and passed by his head. He raised up rto return fire and my shot bored into his chest. At the same time an arrow burried itself in his ribcage. I moved on to another target but they were getting scarce and quickly the barrage ceased.

I walked back to where the three fingered hombre hung, still cursing all of us. "Do you know who I am and why you're goin' to die real slow?"

He stared down at me with eyes that held all of the malice he could muster. "I don't care who you are! Cut me down and fight me man to man!"

"Like you did for my wife?" I looked to see if there was any recognition in his reaction. I saw none. "You and two others kidnapped my wife a little over three years ago." Still no evidence of recognition or remorse. "After I paid you the ransom, you raped her and beat her to death!"

Tom spoke up, "That notch in your ear and them ruined fingers were give to you by a young corporal that you gunned down. That time you put two slugs in my back and left us both for dead." Tom moved up closer. "I've been hunting you for more than a dozen years. Like I told you while ago, you're gonna' wish I'd killed you before this is over."

""Pache! Would you start us a fire?" I looked at him and nodded back toward the outlaw. "Them wounds need to be cauterised!" I grinned though there was no humor in my face. I took out my knife again and cut his achiles tendons. "You won't be running away now!"

Three Fingers screamed again and kicked and thrashed but to no avail. Finally he settled down to cursing me and the others and hung there trembling. I took a stick from the fire that glowed where the ember smoldered. I stuck it to his ankles and he began to scream again. I went ahead and burned the other wounds to stop the bleeding and to add to his agony.

"Blackwater!" Flint shouted. I had tuned out any distractions and had entered my own dark world. "He's gonna' die from shock! No man can stand that much abuse!"

Slowly I returned to the real world. I looked at my handiwork and nodded. "He'll keep 'til mornin'!" I walked off into the brush to be alone for a while. This was the end of the most important quest of my life. I would end the man's life at sunrise.

With four rifleman firing into an arroyo with no cover, it hadn't taken long to finish off the last eight riders. Matter of fact they were down to six after the first shot from the Colonel's rifle.

It was over before my timepiece could have ticked off a full minute, save one man. His horse downed by one of the combined volleys he'd somehow made it out of that arroyo and started running north.

Hawk and I'd taken off on foot after him, and that breed had pulled one of his knifes and dropped his rifle and really put on the speed. I'd not been able to keep up so I'd swung out to the right to keep Hawk out of the line if fire in case the last rider turned to fight.

Sure enough, when he realized Hawk was 20 yards behind and closing, he swung around with a pistol. I'd been waiting for him to do so, so I skidded to a halt and that old 66 put one right through his guts.

He was still screaming when Hawk got to him and that scream cut off sharp with a raspy choke.

The Man was screaming back in our camp, and we walked back in just in time to help the man remember why he was dying slow. Those that could watched Blackwater work for a few minutes, 'till the Colonel reminded him that he could kill a man with shock too.

After that Blackwater walked off a piece and none of us stopped him.

I looked around at the others... "Let's talk about why a dozen men came after us. And why they left four on the trail to ambush me and Blackwater. Their tracks turned as soon as they cut yours, like they were expecting to find them." I leveled with them. "I'm wanted in Missouri, but I ain't wanted for nothin that'd get a dozen men into Colorado lookin for me... It didn't even get a dozen men on my trail leavin there."

"And I know this man wasn't their target, or they'd not have come for us too. Just what are y'all up to out here?"

After getting off nite guard , I thought I would braid a cord to hang the rattles from , there were quite a few hairs out of the grays tail and mane in the brush

as I was finishing it up , Mattee was sturring about , she was attempting to cut up some of the snake , Pepper , had told her was rabbit

as she hacked away at it , I told her to give my her knife , and I would sharpen it as the day went on , She protested , Then I would not have a knife , if I need one .

OK , here , give me yours , and ya use this one , as I pulled one out of the saddle bags , She stood there with her eyes as big as silver dollars , as she looked at the knife I handed her and back to the knife on my belt , and back to the knife in her hand , twins , except for the size

Mattee , also looked longingly at the necklace I had just finished , Here , ya can have this if ya want it

I stood up and slipped it over her head , as she held her hair out of the way , I whispered too her

Ya need to do a better job of hiding that little pop gun , the silver shows right through your blouse and it prints the hammer and trigger spurs

so everyone can see it . gives me an idea as what to do with that snake skin

Tell Mary to do a better job of hiding , hers also ,

I could see , Mattee , wanted to know more about the knife , but I was not in the mood to tell anyone , any more about it

I tossed the saddle bags up on the wagon seat , so I could sharpen the other knife , Bamas horse was playin out , so I kinda figured he would want to ride the gray , that could get intersusting , it was known for waiting for a moment of inattention to shed a rider , if it chose to , and it did once in a while

"Tom, during the late unpleasantness, I managed to make a name for myself. Ain't many men that know for sure what I'm going to tell you but I'll tell it plain and simple." I started off.

"I don't know why those men chose to follow or come after us and I really don't care. When the war started I was in my last year at West Point. My family was from Alabama and Tennessee and my father had fought in the war with Mexico. It took me some time to decide, but I resigned and joined the Confederacy. Do you know who Benjamin Judah was?"

Tom nodded "I do, he was that Jew treasurer that Jefferson Davis relied upon."

"Well Tom, plenty of folks would have said damn jew and I'd have had to respond with providing an education of the worst sort. You didn't so I thank you as I suffer the same disability of religion that he did. Judah was more than that, he served a Secretary of War and kept Jefferson Davis from the worst critisism by taking blame for his failings. There were a lot of us in the confederacy, but we weren't trusted always and my West Point background didn't help. So I was given the opportunity to perform tasks that weren't always acceptable to society, even in wartime.

Sometimes I led a cavalry detachment, sometimes I carried a sniper rifle. At Spottsylvania Courthouse, I killed 3 senior officers in three days. I learned early on that the war wasn't about slavery or state's rights, it was about money. So when the opportunity came to me, and it came more than a few times, I helped myself to whatever I could take from the Federals. It was clear by '63 that we couldn't win, so I lined my coffers and I did so very well. Once you kill enough to get to liking it, well you do things that make folks remember and hate. You can see how it has affected Blackwater after his wife's murder.

We've all lost loved ones, sometimes we can pinpoint who to blame, other times, well you get to hating everyone. I'm not a nice man. I'm not a good man. I have my boundary though, I won't hurt a child nor a woman who isn't threatening me. I won't steal from the poor and if I give my word I'll die trying to keep it. I love my country and I hate my government. We are heading to Mexico, and any man that sides with me has my word he'll ride home a rich man if he survives. Now I've said more than I've said to anyone at one time in a number of years. If Blackwater and Bama Red approve, you'll be invited along when we get back to the wagons."

Tom looked at me and drew a couple of breaths before talking "I know who you are now, I heard you were shot to hell in Texas and were dead. I also heard you were a magician with your pistols."

I chuckled "It's not that I'm all that fast, I just tend to get started with my draw a bit earlier than most. And those Texas boys sure put a hurting on me in that scuffle-Bama Red was around, he saw me tied to my horse as a dead man and set to drift off into oblivion. Just turned out it wasn't my time."

Tom looked at me "Why share with me? I don't mean money, I mean why tell me any of this?"

I answered as best I could. "We've shed blood together. We've fought side by side and you've proven yourself a man that can see a task through to completion no matter the costs. I figure you'll do."

While Tom was mulling over our conversation I went to see how the three fingered man was faring. Blackwater had worked him over pretty thoroughly, and he was passed tohe point of wanting to survive.

I didn't bother to say anything to him, he was the worst sort of human scum. And I didn't feel one bit of pity for him either. I headed to where Blackwater sat sharpening his knife.

"Don't even think of telling me to wrap it up J. Mark-you're not in charge of this."

I nodded in assent "Funny you should use that wording. It occurred to me that if we were to wrap him in wet rawhide from the tips of his toes and fingers to the top of each limb, we could squeeze all the blood into his torso and keep him alive another full day or two. And as you say, this is completely your show and your call-I am here to do what you say is needed of me. But all that dead horseflesh is going to waste out in the sun."

With that I offered him a drink from my final bottle of sour mash. I knew Hawk had a bottle, but torture didn't seem so bad when compared to drinking bad hooch.

"Hawk, I think it's time we search those bodies and see who these hombres are and what else we can learn. Besides I want my two scalps-been a long time since I got a two for one special."

I got a lot more outa the question than I figured I would. I believe it was the most I'd ever heard the colonel speak in one sitting. I had figured on bein told to mind my own business. Instead I'd learned a piece of theirs.

It wasn't the western way to ask questions like I had. And though there wasn't a man here that struck me as an outlaw, I'd been in three fights in just a few days, and I needed to make sure my new pards weren't up to no good. Fallin in with the wrong crowd is how I ended up in that trouble in Missouri.

The Colonel had labled himself and the rest of 'em as "Bad Men" but in this country, that didn't nessesarily make them bad. I'd tried explaining it to an eastern man on an overnight train ride once. He'd only pretended to understand me, that men that weren't afraid to get downright mean were needed out here, that this country was still downright mean and sometimes there was only one way to survive. By bein even meaner...

Still, I was surprised when the Colonel and Hawk pulled their knives and started takin souvenirs from the bodies as they searched 'em. Wasn't the first time I'd seen white men take scalps, but it'd been a while, and it'd been bounty hunters down Texas way that'd be paid when they turned 'em in.

I wondered if they'd find any clue to why the men had followed their tracks like they'd been lookin for 'em. And why they'd seemed to know they hadn't found the whole gang, and left men behind for me and Blackwater. I wondered if it had something to do with the riches in Mexico that the Colonel had mentioned. Maybe these riders had been tryin to run him down and figure out where he'd stashed it. Or maybe it was my own past catchin up with me, but I doubted it.

The three men I was riding with were ones to stand with. If they were gonna have trouble like this the whole trip I wanted to be there to help. I figured on that basis alone I'd stick with 'em. I'd been mighty close to bein in a tough spot when I happened upon 'em, and they'd helped me out. I didn't need the money that bad, I had a rich sister after all. And I'd been tossin around the idea of wiring for a loan when I hit Santa Fe.

I watched the two search bodies for a bit longer then turned to go finish watchin Blackwater do for ol' three fingers.

When I walked up Blackwater was cuttin wide strips out of the hide of one of the dead horses. I chuckled, "fixin to feel a little of what you left me with you son of a b---h." Turnin to Blackwater I asked, "mind if I tie his left leg off right now? I'd like it if he felt that go numb before you got started."

Archived