SASS Wire Forum

Fools' Gold

While the rest of the crew assumed I was spending my every waking hour drinking and whoring, I assure you that I was not. At least twice a day I found time for food and I managed to make arrangements to have a tailor measure each of the men for some custom clothing. I'd never seen Hawk in a dress suit and thought it might be funny. I chuckled aloud and Alice (at least I think that was her name ) asked what was so funny. I tried to explain, but then my attention was diverted . . .

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I told Cody to hand me his small pouch that he carried with him and was hanging from his belt. While Blackwater called him away for a chore, I put some ceegar ash in there and ground it up fine, real fine and gave it back to him.

Looking him as straight in the due as a man could , I said...."This is as best medicine as I can make here, not knowing what big water is like. But just by what Tom and Blackwater have told me, there is motion......mix this powder with water in the morning and it will make you sick....you will wrench hard and empty you're guts. But that's good.....then eat , like a mouse, this hard tack, all day. When it sticks to you're mouth, drink enough to wash it down.....but no more !"

Remember back when the white spanish missionaries had come to the arroyo and had told my people that we where heathens. That we where worshipping the wrong ways and how a man's hair should be short and this and that.

His way was the better way, he said. And they beat use for not follow it. They took away our language, our bows, but when they tried to take our future, pour children, we rose up, and we drove them back into Mexico, and them we drove those Mexicanos into the sea !

I could read, I would write, and as most Apache Indians go, I was very well learned.....especially in the art of warfare. I could read sign where most men could not see any, and yet, I could be elegant in a fancy eating establishment. I could gut a man from his belly button to his chops with a dull deer antler, or I could french braid a lady's hair. What ever the situation called for, that was me, however......I choose the redman's way of doing things.......made more sense that way.

The ship awaited us in the harbor! It had been placed at my disposal by my father-in-law. Bama was beginning to gain strength and was getting impatient to show his readiness. Hawk seemed happy now that he'd figured how to stay on the surface of deep water. J. Mark Flint had found numerous new ways to debauch himself and returned daily to our residence smiling and totally amused. Bill and Cody had struck up a tighter friendship with Tom and Tom had forged a bond with Hawk as well!! In short, we were now a tight and well rounded unit! If Bama Red could survive the early part of the next two stages of the journey, we could possibly survive as a group. Reaching and taking the objective was another matter!

To the best of my knowledge, we would be taking on the Mexican military, and if we got past them we could expect to encounter bandits and would be bandits 'til we reached whatever destination afforded us a chance to divide up our shares and disappear from the trail. This had become what some of us, myself included, now lived for. It was obvious that Bama felt the same as did the colonel. The others, for their own reasons, would risk their lives with us. But now each of us knew deep down that the others were just as surely committed to the survival of everyone in the crew!!

"We'll be weighing anchor in three days," I said as we gathered to eat supper three days after the surgeons completed their work.

The colonel explained, "One of the doctors will be making the trip with us on the ship." He looked around the table, "No one is to say or do anything to tip him off as to what we're doing!"

I looked at Hawk, "Can you nursemaid ol' Bama once we get back on land and the sawbones is gone?"

"He'll be cared for the best I'm able," our Apache friend replied emphatically.

Bill nudged Cody, "We'll see to him gettin' off and on the wagon and around camp. How long a trip is it overland?"

"Even if we go undetected and don't run into trouble it'll probably take another two weeks," Flint replied.

Cody studied the rest of us and glanced through door to where Bama sat up in his bed, listening as he ate. He nodded toward the door, "If Bama can make it that far, he ought to be healed up enough to give us cover and support from a wagon seat or at least from the bed of a wagon."

In the silence that followed, the click of cocking hammers could be heard from the adjoining room. We turned to see a grinning Bama Red with ol' Thunder laying across his one legged lap.

three days , till we set sail , this should be a hoot , wonder how some folks is gonna take to sea sickness

I had gathered up most of the stuff , I thought we might need , extra powder , lead , all manner of cartages , even some of that new smokeless stuff

explocives , were in plentyfull supply , so I got some more , figuring once , we hit land , the less we was seen the better

I had hidden 6 more boxes if the good cigars in the wagons , at least we should not run out of them , picked up some cheaper stuff

might come in handy for trading stock , grain for the stock , think most everything is covered

got 3 cases of good whiskey , and some rotgut for trading to the locals if needed , now what am I forgeting ?

I knew Blackwater could speak spanish, but he had a Southern twain to his voice and while I greatly admired that sound, it was a dead give away he wasn't mexican. To to mention his height and his build, because Blackwater was build like a bear......he would stand toe to toe with any thing that came alone his path. Maybe we could convoke the Mexican Army that he was a gringo looking an American gringo that had a price on his head.

The Colonel, he was too well educated to be a field officer in the Mexican Army.....so that left one thing.....a dignitary of some sort. But yet his spanish was that of an Mexican Officer of high rank, like a General or so, . So ether way, J.Mark would be in position to be calling the shots , all the while keeping an eye on things and directing each of us as the mission went along.

Me.....Mexico was my running ground. This is where I had fought the Federalis for all my life after they killed my mother. And I had swore a blood revenge on them all ! I could speak, read and write the language ....I knew every back trail a wagon could take and trails where wagons could not . I even knew places where 2 men could hold off a small army of Mexicans .....complete with food and water.

Bill had the explosives and steel part down pat. Plus the whiskey too. The only thing that was lacking that he forgot to pickup was bacon, flour, and coffee and I expect he thought he could pick that up when we got to that "port" town that we are going to called San Diego. I asked Bill to put a new razor's edge on my blades as he was worried about them.

And Cody was worried about Bama Red. I could see it in his eyes and on his face......this man cared for him deeply and that just maybe his undoing...........as well as ours. I was a charged with caring for Bama off the ship and I would do so, even if I have to pistol whip that old buzzard into allowing it. I gave Blackwater and Bama my word. But Cody was a very thoughtful man. I trusted him to make the right calls and he had. Figured he would still.

As I sat in the Saloon, waiting to leave for Mexico, I was anxious to tell the group of my plan, of the awaiting treasure and of the adventures we would be likely to encounter. But it was still a few days too soon for complete candor. When Cody and Bill wandered into the saloon I waved them over to the table and signaled the bartender for two more glasses. I whispered in the saloon girls ear and she grinned and nodded as she got up.

They joined me and Bill tilted his head toward the retreating Saloon girl "Did we interrupt?" I grinned "You sure did, but that's okay-she's a little tired. Sit down, have a drink, you gents ready for a boat ride?"

They seemed reasonably ready, though it was clear they both had many questions. "Colonel, when are you going to tell us the rest of the story?" one of them asked.

I replied softly "About 4 hours after we put to sea." Before any discussion could take place the saloon girl returned with 2 of her friends, and a fresh bottle and keys to 3 rooms at the hotel.

She grinned as she sat in my lap "Sorry boys, I'm not done with this one, but these girls will be happy to keep you entertained."

With that she playfully grabbed my coat and dragged me out the door.

I was beginning to worry about some of these boys going soft, Cody, Hawk, even J. Mark Flint. They were all pussy-footing around me like I was some delicate porcelain doll! The Col. had even gone so far as to line up some quack doctor to take the pleasure cruise south with us to babysit me. Bill and Cody were even scheming to drag my butt on and off the wagon, instead of letting me try it on my own - and fail, if necessary. After all, how else was I gonna learn how to do things if I didn't try?

What they didn't know was that I had been practicing doing things at night and other times when they weren't around. I could already get in and out of bed by myself and had almost perfected a method for getting into the wagon. I'd have some surprises for them once we put to sea.

Ol Bama was an ounrey cuss alright , But , he had left some marks on the wagons , that blood trail showed , if ya was to look

Cody , had noticed things being out of place , as well as Hawk seeing it also . pretty sure Blackwater and the Col , were on to it also

Bama is gonna do just fine , if , he don't kill himself , tryin to do too much , too fast

the saloon girl , was a fun distraction for a while , but I was ready to get on the move , stayin one place too long , invited trouble

so far , we had kept a low profile , I wanted to keep it that way , less chance , we would attract attention

The food supplys , had been delivered , so , I figured to get em sorted and stored into the wagons

after that was done , the girl would be waiting on me to return

THUD ! "AGRRRRG ! Got to get my butt on that wagon seat even if it kills me !" Bama Red said, thinking he wasn't being watched, but little did he know that it's hard not to put a sneak on a Injun......not impossible, just hard.

Cody, and Bill where hiding beside the barn where the wagons where stored and Bama Red saw them right off. That old cuss sure was ornery as all hell.....didn't give them an inch and I bet if he had low Thunder with him he would have fired at them too ! Maybe not trying to hit them of course.

Me, I was hiding in plain sight, just behind a bush, next to the hitching post that the horses tied to. I sat there and watch this man.......determined man, determined man not to let his friends down on the last adventure .....over come his lack of having only one leg and making himself a new man by many means he could. This I admired in him.

THUD ....."AGRRRRRG.....DAMN IT !"

I went to the Saloon, knowing Bama Red was in good hands and went right to the Colonel's table. He was busy with the lovely lady, so I took the money he offered that no one saw and went to the bar and ordered whiskey.

The barkeep gave me a look and I returned the look which, and he gave me a bottle. All the soiled doves in the Saloon stayed away from me with the expectation of one. "These women here are afraid of you.....say you are a devil. But not me. I can tame the devil in you......for a drink."

She reached inside her corset and removed her room key, dangling it in my ear. I motioned to the barkeep for another glass because I'm still a man, poured her the drink, but told her......"You'll have to earn it first !"

"Steve, you lose that whiskey, you lost you're job !" Adlina said as I laid her away to her room.

Hawk , had left , not wantin to watch Bama thrash about , I was thinking of doing the same , I had finished up , stowing the supplys that had been delivered ,

it pained me to see , Bama , not getting up on the wagon , so I took a ladder ,I had made that had hooks on it to grab the edge of the wagon box

Bama give this a try , might make it a bit easyer , for ya , I hooked it over the edge of the wagon .

Gentlemen , I got a cute , little gal waitin , for me ,

see ya later

We had spent enough time for Bama to get cabin fever and he was likely to kill himself trying to do things he wasn't ready to do, or kill some of the rest of us for trying to help. I told the ship's captain to begin loading the wagons and gear into the hold of the ship and to prepare for the livestock. We would load them last to save them time cooped up in the hold of the ship.

It was really only a couple of days down the coast, but we had to time it so that we weren't seen by the wrong people and could unload and get inland before encountering any federales. We'd chosen to pass ourselves off as engineers, hired by someone involved in construction, to renovate the old church as a prison. J. Mark had come up with this plan, knowing that the place where the gold was cached was being taken over by the Mexican government for that purpose. I often wondered where he got his information, but it was seldom wrong and I rarely questioned it. Still, I had a bad feeling about the eventual outcome of this escapade. Not that I worried about our survival so much as I wondered what we'd have to do to pull it off. I imagined us having to carve our way out of some stinking prison and then being forced to dispatch half of the Mexican army in order to get back on home soil.

The colonel had worked out disguises for everyone and he and Bill and Cody had figured out how to hide the weapons and equipment that didn't fit our new fake identities. It would fool all but the most inquisitive inspection. We could travel lightly armed and explain that away as protecting ourselves from bandits, but some of the things we carried were capable of sustaining us in a pitched battle with a military adversary the size of a regiment! One couldn't just explain that away. I didn't know how much dynamite and other explosive material ol' Chickasaw had put back, but knowing him, we could likely level half of Mexico City and have some left over!

By now everyone was itching to get under way and all but Bama were well rested and pretty well healed up from the adventure so far. I had about quit worrying about Bama. He'd made his choice and with either pure guts or just muleheaded orneriness or maybe a good mix of the two, he'd live or die doing his part as he saw it. A couple or three days onboard the ship might let him heal a little more and the doctor we'd hired to take along could treat him a little longer, perhaps giving the hard headed bullwhacker a better chance of making the trip without it being his last.

"Colonel, I've told the captain to start loading the wagons and gear," I said to him when he appeared in the street outside the saloon. "We'll move the livestock on board just before we shove off."

"When do you figure we sail?" he asked, far more sober than I'd have guessed.

I glanced toward the harbor, "Tomorrow night, with the tide is what the captain recommends. I'm trying to figure out how to stretch the voyage an extra day or two, just to give ol' Bama an extra day or two to heal."

Flint followed my gaze to the oceanside. "We aren't much ahead of schedule anymore. We needn't go charging down there, but we don't have extra time to waste." He thought for a moment then grinned an nodded, "Talk to the captain. See if he has any ideas on how to spend another day or so at sea. In the mean time, I've gotten some papers made up to help pass us off as a specialized construction outfit to help with the prison building."

"Will they work?" I asked.

He chuckled, "Unless the president or one of his toadies examines them, we've got a chance,"

"Same old J. Mark Flint!" I thought as I turned to go and tell the others that we were soon to depart.

The ship was being loaded, the paperwork was done and a plan was in place. I had several full sets of architectural plans for a prison, though the scale had been determined based on a memory that was many years old. Hopefully, it would be close enough to pass a cursory inspection,

I had been practicing my Spanish with a lovely girl from Mexico for the last few days, My accent was fairly acceptable and my ability to "think" in Spanish was fairly decent. In Mexico, they don't speak Spanish exactly the same as they do in Spain. I made it a point to learn Castillian Spanish many years ago and tried to make it a point not to use the more familiar Mexican pronunciation or grammar. But given the Spanish interference in Mexican affairs and their support of the French, Being a Spaniard in Mexico City struck me as a very bad choice for a cover. President Diaz was a brutally efficient military man and had taken the same traits into his governance of Mexico. If we were discovered he would simply execute anyone involved or suspected of involvement. I was confident that our papers were good enough to pass muster, but Diaz would be close enough to cause problems unless we could keep him otherwise occupied.

"Antonia have you ever been to Mexico City?" I asked out of curiosity. She nodded "Si, many times as a girl, but it has been a few years."

I grinned as I added a layer to my plan "How would you like to visit again? and perhaps become quite well off financially?"

She grinned "That sounds too good to be true. But if it were true . . . what would you need of me?"

I stopped smiling "I would need you to seduce the President and keep him occupied as often as possible for perhaps a few days or as long as two weeks."

She stopped grinning "He would kill me if he was to find out. How well off are we talking?"

I pondered her question "Your weight in gold."

"Well then, we need to go shopping. I can't meet a president looking like a saloon girl."

After spending a fair bit of coin, Antonia was well outfitted for a trip. One trunk full of nice clothes as would befit a lady of standing and a small bag of traveling clothes were added to the ship's stores. I informed Blackwater of the alteration to the plan and he shook his head in mock disapproval. "You know you just don't want to sleep alone on the ship." I chuckled "It's not that I mind sleeping alone, I just am particular as to who I share my bunk with."

We both had a laugh and i continued "Seriously, we need every distraction and advantage we can gain." Blackwater sighed "They might kill that little girl."

"So might her next customer." I replied-"At least this way she has options. And she knows the danger. . . "

Blackwater seemed ready to accept my decision then something caught in his head "What else are you thinking?"

I took a deep breath "This is between us-no one else is to know. Her father was a Doctor, she'll ride with Red and keep an eye on him."

Blackwater muttered something "Seems you tried that once before-it didn't work out too well."

I nodded "Third time's the charm they say."

"Yeah, but this makes the second time." he replied.

"Can't have a third without a 2nd. Time to inspect the gear and accommodations and start gathering the men. We have a tide to catch."

I sat quietly working on my bridle, that I would use to make our escape out of Diaz's troops with and the Comanches that lived in the area.

The bridle had special powers in it that let the horse and it riders pass unseen in the spirit world, and come out the other side unharmed. Only an Apache holy man would know how to make now of these bridles and I was lucky enough to have my Grand Father teach me how to make one and if I could just remember the blessing and prayers, it may work.

I took those scalps that had been tanning and I cut some circles of tuffs of hair and scalp and set it aside. Next, I took a small stone of turquoise, worked it so I could fasten it on with a small piece of sinew, and fastened it to the bridle. Just below that I fastened the tufted of scalp and hair with a feather from an eagle.

I did this all over the bridle ......then I brayed the reins, though not together, as the eastern city folk do. I never can stop laughing when I see those blues legs, all high and mighty like, from Washington City.....coming out here acting all fancy and full of themselves and yet having the reins tied together. Wait till that horse throws them ! Hahaha !

I figured it was time for me, J. Mark and Blackwater to have a long talk, so I cornered them one afternoon and we went to the cantina. "Boys," , I said, I want to let you know what I've been doing, what kind of shape I'm in and let the two of you decide if I continue with this outfit or take a rest while y'all go on your Mexican vacation."

"Now, Bama," Blackwater started out, "you know you're a part.......".

"Whoa, son", I said. "This is my little get-together here, so let me talk, then y'all can ask questions all night long."

"First of all, I can get in and out of the wagon just about as quick as when I had both legs. That little ladder y'all made for me gave me an idea and I made a tool to help me." With that I tossed a weapon that looked a little like a combination of a tomahawk and a sickle mounted on a wooden handle. The curved underside of the blade had saw teeth cut in it for gripping. "I'm afraid this is gonna mess up the sideboard of the wagon after I get in and out enough!", I laughed. "And, every night, I've been wrapping my stump in muslin soaked in a mixture of pickling brine and salt water. It's an old blue water clipper ship sailor's trick for toughening up his hands for handling the lines."

"The reason I need to do that is so I can use this!" With that I reached down into a burlap sack I'd brought along and pulled out a carved wooden peg leg attached to a large leather cup, fitted with several burnished leather straps, complete with an assortment of shiny brass buckles. "Boys, meet my new leg!"

While the two men's jaws were dragging in the sawdust on the floor, I proceeded to strap the leg on and walk to the bar for a new bottle of good ole Tennessee sour mash I knew the Col. had laid in for just such occasions. Returning to the table I put the bottle down, sat down, and said, "Do I need to brush up on my Spanish or not? Drinks are on me!"

"Esto sería una idea buena. No se haga demasiado preocupado, dudo que cualquiera crea que es un vecino." I replied, once I poured myself a glass. I raised it in toast to Red's accomplishment and then to the success of our endeavor.

"¡Tequila para mis amigos, conduzca para mis enemigos, A nuestro éxito!"

I'd been out seeing the town. Denver was about the biggest city I'd seen other than this place, and I'd been doin my best to take it all in.

I'd seen Red headin into the bar, and followed him, arriving just in time to hear J. Mark say something in spanish.

"Mi espanol es malo" I said as I straddled a chair at the table.

Then added to J. Mark in english, "I been thinkin boss, I look gringo, no way around it, and I don't speak enough of that to follow you if we need to appear native..."

"Do we want to stay in a large group down there? Or separate when we hit the coast and rendezvous inland somewhere? A couple gringo's might not draw attention. A bunch of gringo's with a heavy wagon just might."

I let a stream of tobacco fly at a cuspidor and accepted a cup of coffee from a small senorita.

I knew my way around the west, but I was heading into unknown lands, with nothing but campfire stories to go on.

"Don't worry Tom, I can't completely pass either, we'll go over our stories on the ship until you can't tell the story from the truth."

Chickasaw Bill laughed out loud and I turned toward him "Something funny Bill?"

He grinned "You seemed to learn that trick a long time ago, Colonel-no offense."

I tipped my hat "None taken" and then I flipped my hat into the bartender's face and shot him three times. He dropped like a sack of bricks, the shotgun in his hand, still cocked, but unfired. I picked up my hat and I looked at the group "Time we board the ship, I suppose. Looks like our welcome just wore thin."

As I ended my work on the Spirit Bridle, I put away my tools and went toward the Saloon and the rest of our traveling companions to see what the plans where and what was going on. After all, it had been far too quiet for far too long and that most always spelt trouble.

When entering the Saloon, I saw the Colonel, turned half toward the bar, Bill was laughing and facing him. Tom was engrossed with señorita and special coffee mixed with mescal training to learn Mexican, being born along the border, I have no problem speaking or understanding or reading Mexican. But I would never be able to pass as a Mexican.

I ordered a whiskey, threw it back and let the amber liquid flow down the back of my throat. It felt so good, I ordered another. And wouldn't you know it, as soon as it was served, that Colonel threw his hat in the barkeep's face, and gave him a dose of lead poisoning he will not recover from. Sighing I lifted my glass and said, "Well hell Colonel......"

Tom stared in awe "I never saw the shotgun!" I looked at him, deadly serious "Shotgun? I shot him for watering down the whisky. He had a shotgun?" After a moment I grinned and laughed. "Let's get to the ship."

With that we all left the bar and gathered our few remaining possessions and headed toward the ship. It was loaded and the tide would be right in just a few hours.. "Gentlemen, I suspect the law might come around wanting answers about the shooting. I'll be catching up with you in the harbor. Until then keep your guard up."

With that I left the ship-we couldn't afford to miss the tide. I found a sailing ship scheduled to leave tonight and managed to make arrangements with the Captain to deliver me to our ship as both left the harbor. It cost a bit, but it was less likely to have us held up in port.

When the time came to shove off the Captain of the sailing ship was good to his word and we caught the wind and made our way out to sea. As the two ships approached one another I climbed a mast far enough to swing across and drop onto the steamer's deck. I landed almost silently and went to the wheelhouse. Blackwater was waiting with a spare cigar. "Good of you to join us."

I sat on the roof over the wheelhouse and watched waves. After the first day out there'd been no more land to watch, and even sitting up as high as I was I could see nothing but water.

This was my first time on a steamboat in years, and I'd forgotten how much noise they made. There wasn't a single place anywhere on the ship that was quiet, and the vibrations from the engine and crank could be felt throughout as well. As a result, I wasn't sleeping much... It was a nice ship, well maintained, well crewed, and well captained. At least to my eye. But I wanted off of it very badly.

It smelled like a machine that burned coal could be expected to smell, and the drumming of the engine was like a dull headache. So I was spending a lot of time on the roof trying to breath fresh air. I'd gotten the idea on the second day to come up here and throw empty bottles out into the sea, and shoot at them once we got a little distance away. I was still working on getting used to this '73, and thought I could use the practice. But the captain didn't like that much, and after some hollering and threatening I'd left the rifle in the room they'd given me to share with Cody. Cody was even more miserable than I was. The motion of the boat, combined with heat below deck where our room was, had made him sick. He was holding food down, but he was green around the edges and in a foul mood.

His mood was due as much to the events on the dock just before we pushed off as it was to do with his green complexion though.

As J Mark had suspected, the law had come to ask questions, and a mean tempered deputy without the supervision of his sheriff had pushed his way on board with a couple of dim witted accomplices and started a search. Even then things were going fine until the Mexican woman with us was cornered by a deputy that recognized her. Some spark in the man's sluggish brain had been suspicious of her presence, and he was loudly demanding answers that she could not give.

We were all below deck at that point, and when the brute grabbed her and slapped her hard my hand had moved before my brain told it to, and my long barreled colt had cracked the side of his skull and dumped him on the deck. Bama had barked out an order to hold steady and I'd turned to find him covering the other two deputies with that big shotgun in his hands, his crutch propping him up and his back to a wall.

We were still in the right at that point, no question about it, as no man can be expected to stand by while a woman is abused. But the deputy at my feet couldn't be woken, despite our efforts, and his mean friend and his simple friend became more and more angry and unruly while we waited for the tide to be right for us to depart. In the end and without J Mark's leadership, we decided we couldn't simply toss them off the boat and be on our way. Trouble had a way of following us when we left loose ends.

So down in the bottom of the boat, tied up in an empty storage room, were three deputies that I doubted anyone missed, even though we would all have explaining to do next time we passed through that part of California. What we were going to do with them was a question still unanswered. None of us minded killing the mean one, and the one that had hit the Mexican woman had yet to wake up, and was unlikely to recover from his busted skull. But the third was a simple minded man that had no business wearing the badge. We all agreed that it was cruel joke that found him holding an honest job he was thoroughly unqualified for. And that it was that honest job and his honest intent that had landed him in this situation.

Still, we could not hope to talk him into joining us. Nor did we want a simple minded man to join us. And we could not free him, at least not yet.

So the entire ship, crew, captain, and passengers, sat in an ugly mood with various opinions on what to do with the three of them.

We were halfway to Mexico, and we'd have to decide soon.

The colonel's diversion at the docks should have worked. That damned dimwitted deputy had really messed things up, especially for himself. After filling the colonel in on the goings on, I sent our doctor to the hold to examine the unconscious man. Meanwhile, we had to come up with some plan to separate ourselves from the other two. "We could dump all three of 'em overboard. It'd serve two of 'em right." I muttered as Cody and Bill joined the rest of us on deck. "I spoke to the captain and he's willing to go along with what ever we decide to do, just so long as it doesn't endanger the ship or its crew."

"Officially, he didn't know those peckerwoods were on board when we shoved off," J. Mark offered.

I looked around the ship. "The crew are uneasy about the whole thing." It was the evening of the second day out from port. "We need to get into this bully-boy deputy's head and set him straight!"

"Colonel!" Hawk spoke up, "You need to convince that fool deputy that the barkeep was aimin' to cut you in two with that scattergun." He shook his head, "The one with the busted skull just got what he deserved fer ill-treatin' the woman."

"Gettin' that hombre to go along with what we got to say is near as likely as getting a mule to fly!" Bama chuckled. "We'd have been better off to pitch these three out on the dock all tied up and gagged."

"Nobody's dead, yet." I said as I looked each of my companions in the eye, one after the other. "I'll handle the captain and crew. The captain is a friend, and I've sailed with a couple of the crew as well." This seemed to ease some of the tension immediately. "Tom! I think you and the colonel need to set this dumb deputy straight on the facts and their situation. Tell that hardheaded fool that the woman is yours and that idiot shoulda' kept his hands to himself or somethin' that he'll believe."

Flint wasn't keen on this idea. I could see that he was still in his "shoot my way out of any situation" mood. Our eyes met a second time and he saw the iron in my gaze. "You dead set on this?" he asked as the rest of our companions began to split up.

"No," I replied when only we two and Tom were left. "If you have a better suggestion, I'm all ears." I pondered the situation again for a moment. " We have enough witnesses to back up your self defense story," I glanced at Tom, who nodded. "You got us into this mess, whether it was your fault or not. 'Sides, you're our leader!" I grinned broadly, "You're supposed to take care of these kinda' things!!"

"Fine, bring em up here on deck one at a time starting with the one that thinks it's okay to slap women and I'll handle it." I started. "and don't worry I promise not to shoot anyone." With that assurance, Blackwater nodded an okay to Cody who produced the deputy in short order.

As he stood on deck, blinded by the bright light I made myself known. "Now deputy, when a man points a shotgun at me, I generally assume he means me harm. I did what I did in pure self defense. Whether you believe that or not doesn't matter to me. But you had no right to hit a woman and you sure as hell picked the wrong one. So I figure to make things right, I have to defend her honor."

I removed my gun belt and bowie and handed them to Blackwater. "Cut him loose and give him a half hour to loosen up, Then meet me on the foredeck and we'll wrap this up. Bring the others to watch."

Blackwater looked at me wondering what was going through my head as the others escorted the man away. "You said you weren't going to shoot him, so what do you have in mind?"

I chuckled "I'm gonna let his friends witness him trying to murder me, then we'll transfer them to the next boat we see."

I had wondered off , just , far enough to be out of sight , but not so far , I could not hear the plan

I would have prefered to send em all swimming without a raft , the sharks gotta eat too

the Col's plan might present a small problem , there was little chance , of him losing the fight , but , getting hurt , was a possabilty

I started back to where , Blackwater and the Col. were , I would point out the flaw in the plan ,

AS the dimwitted lawman , made a rush at at the Col , I stopped that right fast , by throwing a coil of rope under the mans feet

Ya think , we should bring the others up to watch this , this guy be dumber than a box of rocks , gonna have to have witnesses to this

if , we is gonna kick the others loose , and clear the Col ,

The doctor returned, shaking his head. "He'll live," the sawbones deadpanned. "It'll take about a month for the crack in his skull to heal and he may have some off and on problems with headaches and blurry vision, but he's coming to as we speak" He continued , marveling at the hardness of the man's head, "Men like that are few. Sadly, even fewer like that have any sense or use other than to fight and cause trouble."

"He ain't able to fight, is he?" I asked.

"He won't be doing much of anything for a while." the doctor replied. "He'll do well to walk before tomorrow."

I nodded my thanks to the doctor. I thought about the bully deputy who was not only mean, but angry as well. He'd probably be even more intolerable once the colonel stomped the starch out of him. I though how sad it was that some lawmen had no other choice than to employ scalawags like these.

I prepped the area for the fight, not that it would really be much of a fight. with an area cleared and things placed as I wanted, I asked Cody to stand guard with a shotgun. Tom and Bill brought the man out and waked him right up to the line I'd drawn across the deck. I gave a curt nod and they stepped back. You could see the hate in the man's eyes, but to his credit there wasn't a sign of fear. "Guns, knives, fists, I ain't afraid of you Flint" he blurted out as I stepped forward.

I slapped him hard driving the heel of my hand into his jaw and feeling the satisfying pop as it dislocated. "Fists then . . .and you will be."

He bum rushed me throwing his hands wide and I drove my left thumb into his armpit and then a right fist into his chin. For good measure I brought my right elbow back into his temple as his weight carried him over my hip and to the deck. He lashed out an arm to try and sweep my legs out from under me, but he was too slow. I stepped back and waited while he managed to gain his feet. He was struggling to catch his breath and when he did he came in slower, moving his head and holding his hands up like a boxer. I slashed out with my left hand shoving his own right hand into his jaw followed by a looping overhand right which smashed his nose. As he staggered from the blow and tried to breathe through the blood, I moved in again, slapping him repeatedly until backed into the railing. A series of quick body punches dropped him to his knees. As he struggled to his feet using a cotton bale for support he came up suddenly with a hook that had been "overlooked" when I cleared the area. He slashed at me as I drew back catching nothing but a bit of cotton from my shirt front.

Cody discharged the shotgun and as the deputy hesitated I grabbed his arm and slammed his elbow into the deck, shaking the hook loose. He lay on the deck either unwilling or unable to get up.

"Fight's over." the Captain came out and his men took the deputies arms and lifted him up. The Captain looked at him "When you grabbed that hook Mister, you committed attempted murder. This is my ship and here I am the law, if I keelhaul you I'd be letting you off lightly."

I spoke up "Wait, please." I started "Deputy, I defended myself in that bar. I can give you eyewitness testimony to that effect. You had no cause to hit a woman-not any woman, and sure as hell not one that's traveling with me. If you and your companions see fit to leave it at that, we'll put you on the next ship we pass. Otherwise, we can continue the duel and I'll quit holding back."

He took his time, rubbing his jaw "I ain't afraid of you, Flint . . . but I reckon that'll do." I could hear his jaw clicking as he spoke.

I looked at the other deputy who had witnessed the event "Yes sir, Colonel, I think that's the end of it."He extended a hand and I shook it and spoke quietly "Your friend's jaw is broken, speak to our traveling companion-his name is Apache Hawk, he'll treat him. Unless he does something else stupid." The man nodded "I will, but he ain't my friend, just my boss."

I stepped back "Captain, thank you for the use of your deck." With that, I headed to the stern of the ship.

I had been putting the time at sea to good use by using the steamers motion to get my "sea legs". I figured if I could get around on the rolling deck of this little steamer, then level ground or even rough fields or prairie would present no problems at all. I even made a few (mostly disastrous) attempts at running. The little boat would pitch me to the deck and then roll me into the overflowing scuppers. This put an end to my running attempts in short order. This steamer was mostly round-bottomed and had a distinctive motion at sea. She would roll side to side and pitch bow to stern at the same time. A motion that could make even seasoned sailors a bit queasy and kept landlubbers at the rail, donating the cook's latest offerings to the fishes.

I knew I would be able to run some on dry land, although I wouldn't be winning any races. I'd just have to wait till we docked to get in some more practice.

I felt that dealing with the deputies the way we did was our best solution at the time, but I sensed that about five minutes after we transferred them to another ship, an entirely different story would be told to that Captain and crew and there was a real good chance trouble would be waiting on the pier when we docked in Mexico. I headed to talk to the Col., so we could start planning our defenses.

Red came to talk to me, expressing concern about the deputies and their changing stories. I listened and considered our options. "It would seem prudent to have them commit something to writing along with the Captain and the crew, as well. Good thinking!." I wondered what good any of it would do, but then again, I really had little use for California anyway.

I gathered up paper and pens and Bama snatched them out of my hands. "It'll be good practice for me to deliver these, besides, you might shoot someone. Hell come to think of it, I'm gonna talk to Blackwater about getting you confined to your cabin."

I chuckled "I share a cabin with Antonia-you just go ahead and do that."

well Col , it would appear ya , has been sent to your room

Ya is gonna need something to drink , while you are there , I handed him a bottle of good spiinig whiskey

ya know , it still ain't too late to send them fellows swiming , not like it will change the outcome much

Blackwater , is there any where to get off this boat before the rest of the passngers hit port ?

if them or any of the crew , start making noise to the Mexican police , we is gonna have to fight our way out

one way , to hold em on ship , is to get the DR , to say , there might be some kinda sickness , that requires em being Quaritened for a few days

after we get off ,

I was listening to the heartbeat of this monster I was riding across this deep blue water with no bottom. The moans, and groans of her, the pops and hisses that was made and then the sudden booms that would jar my teeth.

That's when the door bust open and and this little mouse of a man came in, leading what looked like a huge bull of a man......all beat about the face. It was clear that Colonel J. Mark Flint had a turn at him, and it was also clear this big bull didn't have enough sense to back down and that his jaw was broken.

"Aint afraid of Flint ! I'll kill him, if I get the chance and I'll kill you too Injun !" the big bull man side to me.

"Well.......if that's the way it's got to be, you best have at it. I'm the only one you got to set you're jaw and if ya kill me, you'll be out of luck then. Have to chew beans with you're tongue the rest of you're days. Besides, I could gut you faster that you can get hold of me anyway, so way not just hold still, let me set you're jaw, tie it off and you're be on you''re way." I took my hand away from the hilt of my fighting knife, just a bit.

After a bit more of humming and hawing, that mouse man and big bull man decided that it was best to let me to what I had to do, and that's what I did. With his jaw tied shut I walked them back to the Colonel and Blackwater. To where ever fate awaited them, was none of my concern. What was my concern was the lack of land or the smell of the desert nay where in the past few days.

Bama was working hard to re-learn how to run on his willow leg. So hard so, I was worried I may have to doctor his stump on the way back across the hot dry desert and that didn't set well with me at all. This boat would do something weird and Bama would take a tumble, cussing as he went. But I have to admit, it was kinda fun watching this old man trying to get his sea legs. And I admit, I was no better at it.

And what the cook was serving for what was called "food", I would not feed that to my dawg...........

I heard a knock on the cabin door and pulled on my pants and answered the door. It was the Captain. "Morning captain, what can I do for you?"

He looked at me with a look that was somewhere between icy disdain and odd amusement all at once. "There's a ship on the horizon and she appears to be closing on us, at first I though it would be an opportunity to get rid of your prisoners, but . . . "

His voice trailed off "they fly no flag, they have the wind at their backs and they will overtake us before dark or before we can make landfall."

I smiled "I'll finished getting dressed and come take a look." I said

The Captain seemed perturbed that I wasn't panicking or rushing "Colonel, you don't appreciate the gravity of the situation, we cannot outrun them."

I pulled on a boot "Captain, I understand just fine, we have what must be pirates closing in on us. At our best speed they will be in firing range in a little over two hours. Your men are sailors not soldiers, your ship is only lightly armed and this ship is your livelihood, so you'll likely die with your entire crew if we end up being overtaken by them. Do I get the flavor of the moment?"

He took a deep breath "I guess you do. So how should we proceed?"

I chuckled "Boldly I say, Captain, let us go forth boldly! We'll come through this intact if we keep our heads." I stepped out and onto the deck and looked though his spyglass

His assessment was spot on, a large sloop with the wind at it's back was bearing down on us and it was well armed with at least 8 visible cannon and ample crew to be a problem.

I looked to the Captain "Have your engineer slowly reduce our speed down to minimum throttle over the next hour. but keep a full head of steam, we're going to want a bit of power at the right time. I need to talk to my men about a few details, but I think this will be no more than a minor inconvenience."

I rounded up Chickasaw Bill and Blackwater first. Blackwater was sitting on cargo with his arms crossed clearly waiting on me. "Well?" he said, allowing no more than one word to express his concern

I looked at him "How thick is the hull of a 70 foot sloop 4 feet below the waterline?"

He looked back "That one? Looking at the way she moves anywhere from 10-14 inches of white oak, she may have steel cladding, but it's hard to know."

Bill looked at me "You already figured this out, haven't you?"

I nodded "I think so, there was plenty of spare steam pipe below deck. and we have explosives and a wired detonator. We stick them in a container on the end of the spar, we rig it on the bow under water and we surrender, turn towards their ship,put on a little power and when we are close enough, we blow a hole at their waterline big enough to take all fight out of them."

Blackwater shrugged "Unless we blow their powder magazine and all end up shark food."

I sat down "Well I figure you know were that'll be and that you and Bill can figure out the right quantity of explosives to just get the job done."

Bill shook his head "Even if your idea would work, how in the hell are we going to deploy it without them noticing while running at full steam?"

Blackwater answered "We're slowing down, I felt it in the engine vibrations. Right J. Mark?"

I grinned "We are. Can you take the wheel and put us on target?" Blackwater grinned, "You know I can."

I looked at Bill "Can you figure the explosive canister out while I get the spar and mounting built? It needs to be small and not overstress the spar, I can't hang anything too heavy off the hull."

He nodded his understanding "Half hour, I'll have something ready."

I turned and the Captain looked at all three of us. "This is a very bad plan, I fear we'll all end up dead."

I looked at him. "No disrespect intended but this is the best bad idea we can put together on short notice and I don't have time to argue the merits if we are to prevail. She's your ship and I'll respect your call if you won't do it my way, but if you have a better idea, we have about 15 minutes to make a decision and get to work-let's hear it."

He cleared his throat "We run and hope they lose the wind. In the meantime we dump as much cargo as we can to lighten us up and give us the speed to escape."

I looked at Blackwater and he looked back "You want to tell him what's wrong with his plan?" I said

Blackwater obliged me "They aren't likely to lose the wind here and you know it. And if they see you dumping cargo they will shoot first when they overtake us, they are here for profit."

The Captain hesitated then he called down to the engine room "Full steam ahead for the next 15 minutes, then throttle back."

He turned to me "You are quite mad, I suspect, but you make a point. proceed."

I winked at the men-"Get to it, I'll be back shortly. Captain, you have a mechanic on board, I'll need his help."

I hadn't had the helm of a ship in years. I learned battle maneuvers from one of our fleet captains who'd sailed during the late unpleasantness. We used him to train our steamship captains in avoiding piracy. That too was years ago. Now piracy was almost unheard of, but some still roamed the seas.

I'd seen our pursuers about the same time as the captain had spotted them. My thought had been to surrender and let them board, then ambush them when they least expected it. Leave it to the colonel to come up with a plan to not only prevent them from taking our ship, but to sink their vessel as well! I liked it!! The pirates would likely overtake us and fire a shot across our bow, calling for us to heave to and prepair to be boarded. They would have to lower their sails to match our speed, which would be greatly reduced by the time they came along side. We could both stop and start again much quicker than the sailing ship, and with a full head of steam we'd also be able to maneuver much more quickly. With seven hardened gunmen aboard, we'd be much faster and more deadly up close. These pirates were in for a rude awakening if our plan even worked at all.

I positioned Tom, Cody, and Hawk at what appeared to be random spots along the gunnels. Bama, I stationed nearest to the bow, sitting in a deck chair with ol' Thunder concealed beneath the first fold of a canvas. Being in the bow would allow him to fire from either side of the ship without having to cross the deck. Each of the others had a rifle and their customary sidearms concealed in different ways to avoid suspicion. Bill and J. Mark would take positions along the deck as well. I hoped it wouldn't seem unusual for what passed as passengers to move to the side of the ship that these pirates chose to approach.

We also placed our big bore rifles close at hand. They'd be fewer by a large number before they'd ever board us, and the ship's own armament, though limited, would help us finish the job. This would be the pirates' most costly conquest ever if they managed to win the day.

I aimed to see that it paid them with eternal rest beneath the waves!

the Col , wanted a charge to sink the ship , that in itself was pretty easy to make , But , I had been reading on a new thing . called the Monroe effect

I whipped up a couple of standard charges , like the Col wanted , I also made up a charge out of gun cotton to make use of the Monroe effect

I dragged em up on deck to where they were making the spar . I got a strange look , at the third charge , that was when I explained the change

It focused the blast into a small area , cuasing a great deal more damage , it should work in theory , even if the hull was clad in iron

I sugested , that the small er charge be set off first , then the other 2 set off together , breaking the side of the ship wide open

the stand off , due to the spar , should keep most of the blast , away from our ship , everyone was gonna get a good soaking when they went up

I also , put the gattling gun on deck , covered with a tarp , along with the deck cargo , it blended in pretty well ,

Archived