SASS Wire Forum

What to do...

Utah Bob #35998

...on a cold night? Clear skies and 5 below. Not interested in the football game.

Aha! Pop a movie in the player. But which one?

The Thing from another World. The 1951 Howard Hawks original.

A C47 on skis. A UFO, bloodsucking alien, a hot babe and a mad scientist. What's not to like? Scared the bejeebers out of me as a kid.

Great flick. Time for popcorn.

And bourbon. ;)

And of course, Marshal Dillon as the alien. :)

Look for his home world through binoculars... I bet the Milky Way is outstanding at the Lazy Bob!

Astronomy... One way to pass a winter night.

Bob,

I lay awake many a night after seeing that movie too! So different from today's movie gore. Suspense and the imagination of the mind. Radio was that way, often called the "theater of the mind!

Pain

Look for his home world through binoculars... I bet the Milky Way is outstanding at the Lazy Bob!

Astronomy... One way to pass a winter night.

I've got a decent telescope that I've been known to pull out on cold clear nights on occasion. But -5... That's a bit cold for me, I don't care how bundled I am, nor how much coffee I have.

Way cool...! ^_^

Ya might want to put on your list "It Came From Outer Space" and "Invaders From Mars...!" (Remember the sifting sand?) :)

Geez, UB...not interested in the Broncos' game?

You could have spun the dial to watch some real football....the Pats were playing! ;)

The Thing was my first real horror film - much scarier than the remake (or maybe I was less susceptible by then)

LL

Geez, UB...not interested in the Broncos' game?

You could have spun the dial to watch some real football....the Pats were playing! ;)

The Thing was my first real horror film - much scarier than the remake (or maybe I was less susceptible by then)

LL

I watched every second of the Broncos game. I refuse to watch the Pats ever since the Snowplow Game! ;)

Way cool...! ^_^

Ya might want to put on your list "It Came From Outer Space" and "Invaders From Mars...!" (Remember the sifting sand?) :)

And don't forget Invasion of the Body Snatchers,

I've got a decent telescope that I've been known to pull out on cold clear nights on occasion. But -5... That's a bit cold for me, I don't care how bundled I am, nor how much coffee I have.

Yeah me too. I reserve the telescope for Spring and Summer nightes. And the Milky Way is in fact fantastic here. No light pollution at all.

The Thing from another World. The 1951 Howard Hawks original.
A C47 on skis. A UFO, bloodsucking alien, a hot babe and a mad scientist. What's not to like? Scared the bejeebers out of me as a kid.

Yup, great flick. Did you notice that nearly all the actors were under 5'6". That way they could make the set ceiling 7' high. That way the Thing, looked to be nearly 8 feet tall. James Arness was 6'6".

Some other notable flicks from that time include When Worlds Collide produced by George Pal 1951 about the end of the world.

Another of George Pal's movies is Destination Moon 1950. An Academy Award Winner for Best Special Effects. And a campy little flick with another 1950 Hot little babe, Donna Martell, was Robert Heinlein's Project Moonbase 1953. Hot pants and tight T-shirts, oh my.

I'd much rather watch one of the old movies, than most of what comes from Holliwierd these days.

Archived