SASS Wire Forum

Now that makes me MAD!

Trailrider #896

My father was there and many many times told me that had the media stayed out of it and had every unit had the same freedom to move and operate that they could have been home victorious a lot sooner. He was in the 9th ID and said they were often hampered by politics. A village could fire on their men and they would be forbidden to do anything about but, but the 1st Cav on the other hand could plow it over.

Revisionist history from the Pink Slime media, IMHO, of course.

Congress (Dems) defunded our presence in VIetnam that led to the debacle of our exit from Vietnam (remember the videos and pictures of the VIetnam refugees who had trusted us fleein in helos or commercial airline wheel wellls) and the ultimate destruction of many of our allies there.

Congress has the power of the purse - sorta like the ObamaCare debate today............it ain't unprecedented as our President claims...... but his lack of veracity is not a new thing.....

I was in the operations center for II Field Force Vietnam from early 1967 thru the TET Offensive of 1968.

I saw on a daily basis how our troops were restricted in what they could do.

The war was not lost,

It was. like Iraq and Afganistan, given away.

I recall reading a quote some time ago, it could have been John Thach, but I'm not positive of that. At any rate, it said something to the effect that he had far more decision making ability and leeway in WWII as a Lt. Commander than as an admiral in Vietnam. Don't know how true, but given the micromanagement that I have read and heard about, I would not doubt it.

Sarge, their shooten and dropping on us, can we shoot back? Hang on, gotta call the white house......They say nope, hang tight and bleed. (Nam)

We have not fought nor won a war since 1945. Even them we were hobbled by politics.

Now we don't declare wars, we don't fight to win, we settle for a "negotiated end to hostilities", and we're getting out butts kicked for no good reason whatsoever.

Now our CIC, who wants us out of Afghanistan and an end to our involvement in that region, wants to involve us in a place where we have no interest, no reason to be involved, and will end up footing the bill, providing the vast majority of people and equipment, and probably be saddled with UN and NATO BS form beginning to end. WE have nothing to gain and everything to lose if we goin there.

Let someone else go. We've sure done our part already.

Archived