SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun powders

I'm able to get TightWad.

I do not use it.

I have a customer that only uses TightWad in his shotgun rounds.

Not sure what his load data is.

Thanks for the info, Cliff. Right now I am interested in the pros and cons of it.

What I read, it looks all good. But that is published stuff from the sources that sell it.

Not something that always goes to the bank.

In answer to your question, I use tightwad for trap. Can't tell the difference between it and clays as far as shooting clean. I load to the book for 1oz, around 1200 fps loads. Hope this helps.

Thanks, that is what I am looking for. I want to switch to some 5 stand loads for 7 1/2 loads using tightwad. I will then switch over my Clays loads or go back and forth depending on patterns. Thanks BC.

BMC,

I have no experience with TITEWAD, but I have used TITEGROUP for some 1 oz shotshell loads. TITEGROUP is not as versatile as some other powders for shotshells, but Hodgdon does list loading data for it, and it worked fine for me.

Just mentioning TITEGROUP because a lot of CAS shooter use it in rifle and revolvers, and thought you might have some laying around, since availability of other powders is a problem.

BMC, I looked at the Hodgdon's loading guide that you get at some matches.....also available for download on their website.

For 12 g, 2 3/4 shells the lowest shot loads I found for Tightwad are:

For AA hulls, 209 primers there is a load for 1 oz of shot with a velocity of 1125 fps.

For STS hulls, 209 primers there is a load for 7/8 oz of shot with a velocity of 1250 fps.

That would be a starting point, if you are looking for lighter recoil you could work your way down on the powder loads in the manual a little at a time.....do so at your own risk...YMMV...etc. etc.

Kajun

Winchester has the new "AA" shotgun lite powder out and seems to be hitting the shelves. I like it because of the light load recomendations. I even come off a little more with excellent results knocking down steel. Because you don't need as much powder it goes further and last longer, kinda important today for sure.

Thanks fellows. I am not looking for a lighter load. I am looking for a heavier load.

I am loading #8 1 oz shot now for trap and cowboy. I use Clays powder.

I am getting low on both clays and Tightgroup. I found some available tightwad.

I want to work up some loads for 5 stand using 1 1/8 oz of #7 1/2 shot and Tightwad powder.

I will need new wads also. I can get them.

Now to find some 7 1/2 shot also.

OOOOOHHHHHHHH :blush: We assumed you were wanting CAS loads.

Sorry about the misleading info. I am wanting to try my hand at five stand. Fellow tells me I need some #8a and some 7 1/2.

Got the #8s covered. Getting low on powder though so I thought I would double up on Tightwad and

see if I could find some 7 1/2 lead shot. Can find the wad ok.

I use Hodgens Universal for all my SASS guns.

Universal can be used load for load for Unique .

But Way Cleaner .

I can load all my guns with just one powder .

Works for me.

Archived