SASS Wire Forum

Texas State 2013-It is Here.

Dragon Hill Dave #59561

SASS Texas State Championship May 2-5 at Agarita Ranch near Lockhart, Texas hosted by the Plum Creek Shooting Society.

Okay. You are either signed up or you aren't at this stage. We will take walk-ups, but it will cost you an extra $25 and you don't get a choice on posses. Great chance to meet new people.

Weather might get a little wet and windy Thursday and cool (maybe record lows--which for Texas this time of year is 40s). For the main match Friday and Saturday it should be clear, 0% chance of rain, and temps in the 60s and 70s. Just about perfect.

And the good stuff hasn't changed:

First, you are traveling to the Barbeque Capitol of Texas-Lockhart. There is no bad barbeque there.

Second, we are going to have our own Barbeque cookoff Friday evening after the main match in which you can sample some pro-style BarBQ cookoff fare.

Third, on Friday night we are giving away to some lucky shooters a Bond Derringer, an Evil Roy pistol, an 1892 Saddle Ring rifle, and several other valuable shooter prizes. But you must be present (and registered) to win.

Fourth, on Saturday we are having a stretch raffle hosted by Texas Shotglass and her girls with their wide open spaces (and some hunky guys for the gals too) in which we are offering an 1873 rifle, a custom holster rig by Jack Houston, a 1911, a Rugged Gear guncart, a Cimarron hammered shotgun, a shotgun recoil reduction system (SASS legal) and a Dillon 650 among other things. We will also have shooter prizes like a Bond derringer, a Stoeger SXS shotgun, a Cimarron Model P pistol and several other valuable shooter prizes.

Phantom has written some great stages at one of the premier shooting venues in Texas. Many of the best shooters in Texas and nearby states will be there; we will even have a couple of Aussies to liven things up for us.

On Thursday we will have long range and speed side matches. We have added the "Coal Burner" sidematch where you shoot 4 SG targets, including a thrower and a piece of charcoal. On the speed side matches (not the Long Range) for a small fee per run you can try to improve your time and beat your competition. So lots of chances to make runs that will count.

On Friday and Saturday we will have am and pm shooting for 5 stages each day.

And, of course, one of my favorite things to brag about Agarita Ranch--we have flush toilets with real bathrooms! We will have outhouses too in the more far-flung locations, but just one of the many reasons to come shoot with the Plum Creek Shooting Society.

For updates, a schedule of events, a registration form, and
an Information Sheet, go to pccss.org using this link: pccss.org

But you better bring it all with you and show up because unless you do, we are starting without you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave, this is going to be an exciting match! The best CLASSIC COWBOYS AND COWGIRLS in the State of Texas are going to compete for the TEXAS STATE CHAMPIONSHIP OF CLASSIC COWBOYS and COWGIRLS.

See ya in a few weeks,

Ghost

Ghost we have 9 Classic Cowboys signed up and 4 Classic Cowgirls. We are going to have a great crowd of folks who are willin'. We are nearing 250 for the shoot, and the price goes up Wednesday April 17, so anyone who hasn't sent in their registration yet needs to get going.

Don't forget to bring your best dress outfit for the formal costume contest on Saturday night. There will be a working cowboy costume contest judged during the competition on Friday I believe. Check the schedule to be sure though. There will be separate judges judging the military costume contest Saturday night.

Dave, just finished a shoot-out with Needmore Gunz at JAILBREAK and he won 1st place. I came in 2nd. It could have gone either way depending on who made a mistake. We both shot clean, but I had a few more glitches costing a second or two here and there. Needmore shot a great match and I'll be gunnin' for you and him at STATE.

See ya soon Pardner,

Ghost

Ghost:

Looking forward to seeing you. The range is in great shape. Had a good meeting today working out the details. It is coming together well. Should be a great time.

We shot Jailbreak at Oakwood this weekend. A fun bunch of people....

When folks were leaving this afternoon there were lots of hugs and "See you at state"

So many good friends looking forward to a GREAT TEXAS STATE MATCH

We shot Jailbreak at Oakwood this weekend. A fun bunch of people....

When folks were leaving this afternoon there were lots of hugs and "See you at state"

So many good friends looking forward to a GREAT TEXAS STATE MATCH

Wish I coulda shot Jailbreak...real nice group of folks up there!

Looking forward to seein ya at State!!!!

;)

What is todays date?

Glad you asked that question. Today is the last day that you can get your application into Texas State for the regular price. If your entry is postmarked today, you will get the regular price. If you send it in tomorrow, add $25. We still want you, we just have to work a little harder to fit you in. Space is still available, but we are filling up posses fast. Dry camping is getting pretty limited too, so now is the time to get 'er done!

This weekend we had the shoot-thru for the officers and dedicated workers for the Texas state match, and the range is looking goooooooood! All the targets tested out fine--we had regular cowboy shooters and Cody Dixon shooters. I think the folks shooting Cody-Dixon this year at the State Match will be pretty impressed with the targets and variety of sequences we have devised. And for the cowboy shooters we have swingers, we have rifle re-loads, we have chickens, we have rabbits and longhorns, we have lots of target stages (21 targets on one stage?) and a good deal of movement from one spot to another. Like being in a Western gunfight!

There is still room and still time to register, but not a whole lot more. Come and join us.

Sure hope somebody got photos of Phantom chasing the longhorn off the range. Or, was the longhorn chasing phantom? Either way, we're gonna make a Texan out of that boy yet.

We are still tweaking the posses, and we expect some last minute changes, so we plan to post the posse lists at the range on Wednesday May 1. They will be available for you to review when you arrive. Looking forward to seeing you here!

One more thing about the targets. They are BIG and CLOSE. The scenarios are short, sweet, and easy to understand with lots of shooters choice options. Just be sure to listen when the scenarios are read.

Uncle Spiteful predicts lots of clean shooters and some really, really, fast times.

In the last couple of years I have been to perhaps 4 club matches that Phantom has written the stages for. I was pleased every time. Generally speaking there are no mind benders, just good shooting. Movement for sure. I believe usually what one does with the pistol they do with the rifle but when that is not true what is called for it is not difficult to remember what to do. Looking forward to a good match with good people and good food.

I thought this was a total time match?

Olen :D

It is! :lol: - Takes time to build excitement...anticipation....and all that stuff! :P

Wife is getting the camper ready today.

We will head that way first thing Wed morning. Guess that is just a week and a day away.

WOW. I am so looking forward to this one. As far as shooting goes. I am not anywhere close to ready.

Have not got to practice any at all. And my head is not right for a big one at this point.

But I am still looking forward to it. Can't wait.

We will be ready for you Al. May want to bring a little rain gear just in case we get a few spitting clouds here and there, but we are thinking positive for good weather and a great match.

Already plan on hitting.

Kreuz BBQ

Black's BBQ

Smitty's BBQ

Chisholm trail BBQ

While I am there.

Those are the ones i know about in Lockhart. The BBQ Capital of Texas.

I may not be able to shoot. But that's OK.

We will be ready for you Al. May want to bring a little rain gear just in case we get a few spitting clouds here and there, but we are thinking positive for good weather and a great match.

Hopefully the rain stays southwest of Lockhart next week. Its dry down here near Corpus! See y'all next week. Can't make it until Fray, but really looking forward to my first big match.

Hey Anvil Al,

It was nice to meet you and your wife at Ft. Parker. Chisolm Trail in Lockhart has fish a couple of nights a week and I think those nights are Wednesday and Friday. You likely will eat at the range on Friday night but you might want to check out Chisolm Trail if you like fried fish. I am not a big fish eater and I love it.

Hey Anvil Al,

It was nice to meet you and your wife at Ft. Parker. Chisolm Trail in Lockhart has fish a couple of nights a week and I think those nights are Wednesday and Friday. You likely will eat at the range on Friday night but you might want to check out Chisolm Trail if you like fried fish. I am not a big fish eater and I love it.

Thanks for the info.

But no fish for me.

If I am going to the BbQ Capital. I am eatting BBQ.

See which one is best for myself.

I am thinking Black's at this point. But will know after I try them all.

oh ya. plan on doing some shooting also.

There will also be great food at the range all week. You could never leave and still be happy with the food you ate. See details on the News page of the Plum Creek website. www.pccss.org.

There will also be great food at the range all week. You could never leave and still be happy with the food you ate. See details on the News page of the Plum Creek website. www.pccss.org.

Oh I plan on eatting that also. Doing the steak thing for sure.

Doing my BBQ tour on Wed after we get there. ALl in one day. :huh:

Archived