SASS Wire Forum

Uberti "73" Bullet Recipes?

5-Toes

Just got a Uberti "73" slicked up by Blackjack Ed. Anyone got a good "recipe" for .38 spl./.357 . I'm using Starlite brass. BTW, the action is slicker'n Zorro's hatband.

Sorry 'bout that. What you use is just what I use.

Thanks Pard.

While I can't post specific loading data on here, I use Tite Group for all my pistol loading. It keeps things simple, is not position or temperature sensitive and works pretty well at the lower velocities that we use for CAS. AND I get about 2,500 38 spl. cowboy rounds out of a pound.

The 73 action works with less effort loaded to an overall length of 1.50 to 1.54. This keeps the following round in the mag tube so that levering doesn't have to push it back in order to raise the 1st round.

Bullet weights can range from 105 up through 158 gr with either a truncated cone or RNFP shape. Check reloading manuals on powder, but truthfully, the .38 can use most pistol powders with accuracy. Many will tell you their powder as if nothing else works better, but.......... Some do have cold sensitivity and some meter less well than others. I'd avoid buying a keg unless you're really sure. Johnny Meadows makes an excellent point on OAL.

Great input Pards. The gun works great at 1.50 OAL and 147 gr. RNFN from Moulton Lead in VT. I tried a new box of 158. gr. RNL, a disaster.

Great input Pards. The gun works great at 1.50 OAL and 147 gr. RNFN from Moulton Lead in VT. I tried a new box of 158. gr. RNL, a disaster.

I dislike the shape of the 158gr.

That is why I have a new 157gr that is shaped more like the 147gr. But has a crimp groove.

As for OAL. Don't know. Many feel you have to have the longer bullet as posted above.

But some of the fastest rifle shooters in the world are shooting a little 100gr bullet in there

73's and running world speed times with that little short bullet.

So who knows.

Both of my 73's were done by Longhunter.I load Missouri Bullet company's 158 RNFP and the OAL comes out to 1.423-1.425.They feed fine with that OAL.But I did send some "dummy" rounds along with the rifles when I shipped it to them.

You can't post loads on the wire. But I can tell you a 125 grain Truncated bullet around 1.45 OAL with enough Clays powder to push it down range at around 1100 FPS is what I like.

Just a little over the speed limit there aren't you?

Lafitte

Just a little over the speed limit there aren't you?

Lafitte

Although CJ didn't specify, we can assume he's talking about rifle since that's the topic of the thread. 1000 fps limit on pistols, 1400 fps rifle, which means he's within limits. Shooters handbook page 11.

Blackfoot. The speed limit for rifle is 1400 fps. I use about the same load as junkie. His result in faster stage times, but I do not think it is the bullets. Your mileage may vary.

McKenzie

Blackfoot. The speed limit for rifle is 1400 fps. I use about the same load as junkie. His result in faster stage times, but I do not think it is the bullets. Your mileage may vary.

McKenzie

Oops, my bad. I was thinking pistol, it's hell to be old and -------well, whatever.

Lafitte

Archived