SASS Wire Forum

Re Dicks Sporting Goods

Tequila Jim #14501

I was going to comment...but it seems everybody has already covered all the negative comments I was going to add...so I didn't want to pile on. :D

Be glad you have a Sportsman's Warehouse. They closed the one close to me in Lewisville, Texas.

I almost spewed my coke when I read = There is a reason they are called Dicks.

We have a new Dick's next to our Target. While shopping there a few weeks a go my wife heard something amusing from a young man that most fathers wouldn't want to hear..."Hey Dad, I'm going over to Dick's."

Fillmore

Got really bad customer service when looking at a rifle I was interested in.

Havn't gone back since and won't.

Actually I try to make a point of going to the local store every time I go into town over the last two months. As I go in or out of the door I will linger, half in and half out, fer a few extra moments to relish my experience there. I try to visit and spend a little extra time with each employee there on each visit. Without fail they have not had what I have gone in seeking but they are always helpful and spend a bit of time checking the stock room for it. I must be their favorite customer as the local manager knows me by my first name now! Nice polite young people working there, so do not treat them ugly or complain to them about store politics, they do not make or even care about policy.

Their stance on modern rifles is disappointing. Their sale prices on shotgun ammo can't be beat, though. You can get dove loads cheaper than the white box garbage at Walmart if you time it right.

On the bright side, they aren't making much money on sale items, if at all. They are trying to get you in the store to buy other things. Buy cheap sale ammo at Dick's knowing that it's more important for you to shoot lots and support Rem/Win/Federal with your purchase of their products than it is to boycott Dick's when they're basically losing money on your purchase. Buy your guns and other stuff elsewhere.

My boss had a pretty awful experience at one here in Arkansas...he wanted to buy a .22 rifle and had called around and they had one left of the model he wanted....they said they would put his name on it. He drove 35 miles out of his way, and when he got there they could not find it and had not put his name on anything. They finally did find it, it did not have his name on it. They would not accept his conceal carry, as they are supposed to, for the background check, and made him wait while they did the background check. THEN told him their background check system was down and that he had to come back tomorrow. He drove back again the next day, another 35 miles. He finally was able to purchase the rifle....he gets home and they told him they had put down the wrong serial number on the paper work, and asked him the serial number. An incredible circus full of idiots!!!

Ca. Dick's don't carry guns or ammo they are all urban sports very small outdoor dept.

Not true. The fairly new one here in San Luis Obispo must have 40 long guns in the racks, and ammo when they're not out of stock.

Fillmore

Right after New Town shooting they removed all AR's from there stores right away. Won't sell AR's now.

Major Pain

Not true. The fairly new one here in San Luis Obispo must have 40 long guns in the racks, and ammo when they're not out of stock.

Fillmore

I will have to check them out again, the 2 here didn't and when asked said they couldn't order any.

The 2 Dick's in my area have some pretty good deals on target ammo especially when they run a sale. 9mm, .38spl., .357 mag and Win. AA shotgun shells are always a pretty good price. They have mostly hunting shotguns and some rifles, .22's mainly. Not a place I shop for guns but the ammo prices are decent. They have a good stock of cleaning supplies also.

;) Rye

Their gun selection is mediocre. I would consider buying shotgun shells from them if sale prices were right. I have little incentive to visit otherwise.

Better watch buying shotshells there---- I went in and bought the 'on sale' Remington cheapies. Then found out when I was filling my belt for a shoot ---- that they were a 20 shell box not a 25. That being the case, federals at my local gunstore were a better buy!

Better watch buying shotshells there---- I went in and bought the 'on sale' Remington cheapies. Then found out when I was filling my belt for a shoot ---- that they were a 20 shell box not a 25. That being the case, federals at my local gunstore were a better buy!

Good warning. I'll watch for that. Last time I was there they had cases of Remington Gun Clubs with 25 round boxes at good prices. However, I'm buying from our local trap shooters supplier since his prices are close to Dicks and the gentlemen kept us supplied with primers during the last shortage and is struggling to maintain supplies during this shortage. We need to keep a business like that alive.

I wouldn't buy ammo from them at any price. For me, it's a matter of principle....

My husband (T.A. Spurs) and I (Shamrock Sis) hold a shoot every year for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. We went into our local Dick's about 10 years ago (the shoot has been happening for 14 years now) and asked if we could put up a flyer to advertise the shoot and they said no. Haven't stepped foot back in the place since.

I don't shop at Dick's (appropriately named, don't you think?) I find their associates in the firearms section to be even stupider than the ones WalMart hires. Their 'deals' yeah, right. Most of their stuff is overpriced. Even if they had deals I do not shop there because I prefer to give my money to companies I like....and ones that support the 2nd amendment which Dick's does not!!

There's a reason they're called Dicks.

Someone beat me to it!

We were excited to get one a year or two ago. Went in their once or twice. Way overpriced on ammo. Guns were, meh, priced. When they announced suspension of gun sales, that was the nail in the coffin for my shopping days there.

Walmart, Big5 and Sportsmans are my favorite chains to go to. If you have Bass, Cabela's, or Sheels, they are great too but awefully touristy, IMO.

Just say no to Dick's....

My husband (T.A. Spurs) and I (Shamrock Sis) hold a shoot every year for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. We went into our local Dick's about 10 years ago (the shoot has been happening for 14 years now) and asked if we could put up a flyer to advertise the shoot and they said no. Haven't stepped foot back in the place since.

Ahhh, now I am really glad they don't get a penny from me!

Original store is here. Used to go there with my Dad when I was growing up. It was a real gun store before it expanded, even sold handguns. I bought a shotgun there just after they sold us out, only because the price was right. Do not plan to go back.

Colesville Bob

Dick's ran Remington game shells on what appeared to be a great price. Went down to the local DSG and bought 4 boxes, got home and realized why they were so cheap- they were only 20 count boxes instead of the normal 25. When I put pad to pencil, I realized that per shell, Walmart was cheaper.

BTW if you really want to punish any store, look at the prices in their ads and try to figure out which sale items are the "LOSS LEADERS" -the ones they sell below cost to attract customers that will probably buy some other high profit items to make up for the lost profit. The key is not to buy any other item, and buy as many of the sale item they will let you.

Archived