SASS Wire Forum

Elastic cartridge loops legal?

Currahee

I'm thinking no. Key words from page ten of the Shooter's handbook:

"Bandoleers, cartridge belts, and pouches must be of traditional design (e.g., bandoleers must be loose and not secured in any way to prevent movement).Modern drop pouches, combat style shotgun loops, wrist or forearm bandoleers, and such are not allowed."

I'm thinking no. Key words from page ten of the Shooter's handbook:

"Bandoleers, cartridge belts, and pouches must be of traditional design (e.g., bandoleers must be loose and not secured in any way to prevent movement).Modern drop pouches, combat style shotgun loops, wrist or forearm bandoleers, and such are not allowed."

Hi DS,

Noticed that business about "traditional design, etc." But a Google search informs me that elastic was being used by shoe and clothing manufacturers before the civil war; so it is period correct although it doesn't seem very cowboy if you get my meaning.

Thanks, all.

-BB

Hi Pards,

Another vote for legal. Elastic was used "back in the day," expecially in shoes. I think I have an email about this. I'll see if I can find it before we hear from PWB, hisownself. ;)

Regards,

Allie Mo

Found it:

Following is a summary of the 2012 WR TG meeting from PaleWolf.

“TG meeting scheduled for "OUTLAW TRAIL"/Governors Cup match @ Founders Ranch in August 2012.

Updated SHB/RO/WBAS rules are online

Review of ROC report from the TG Summit.

Progress is being made on a "WtC?" section for the SASS website. (WtC is an abbreviation for What is the Call.)

Elastic is an approved material for ammo loops.

SOME styles of Earthwalker BOOTS are "legal" for CC/BW...as long as they comply with category regs.

BW costuming MUST comply with category regs regardless of persona portrayed.

LEAD exposure issue added to the RO1 Instructor version as a discussion item.

Reiterated that the 93/97 model shotgun is NOT "legal" for Action Shooting.

Open Discussion:

Recommended that the Match Directors Guide to Match (STAGE) Design be utilized re: target design & distances.

Proposal to allow Classic CowGIRL competitors to use SMALL-frame .38 revolvers.

Report on UTAH combined BSA/NRA training program for Scouts.”

Hi DS,

Noticed that business about "traditional design, etc." But a Google search informs me that elastic was being used by shoe and clothing manufacturers before the civil war; so it is period correct although it doesn't seem very cowboy if you get my meaning.

Thanks, all.

-BB

Know what you mean, BB. I'm less concerned with period correct than "combat style" and both seem kind of vague.

Regardless, Allie Mo has provided a recent specific ruling. Thx Allie!

You're welcome slim.

However, I must let you know that elastic can stretch out and not resume it's original shape. I've had lots of clothes do this. Men's underwear would be an example you guys could relate to. :blush:

Regards,

Allie Mo

OMAA! (OH MY ACHIN AZZ)

U PURDY but U MEAN!

RRR whos elastic just like all mens is OK

OMAA! (OH MY ACHIN AZZ)

U PURDY but U MEAN!

RRR whos elastic just like all mens is OK

:blink::blush:

Most if not all of the canvas shotgun (and cartridge) belts out there have elastic loops.

Abilene, most canvas belts I've seen have had canvas loops. One of my canvas belts had leather loops and the two leather belts had canvas loops (ditto Hubby's). So, I'm not sure that your statement is correct. However, it may be that is what "you've seen."

Regards,

Allie Mo

You're welcome slim.

However, I must let you know that elastic can stretch out and not resume it's original shape. I've had lots of clothes do this. Men's underwear would be an example you guys could relate to. :blush:

Regards,

Allie Mo

We all seem to be sagging a little more as the years go by.... :lol:

...Abilene, most canvas belts I've seen have had canvas loops. One of my canvas belts had leather loops and the two leather belts had canvas loops (ditto Hubby's). So, I'm not sure that your statement is correct. However, it may be that is what "you've seen."

Regards,

Allie Mo

Well, most I have seen have loops that are the same canvas color as the belt but are very stretchy, so I'd call that elastic. For example: http://texasjacks.com/GunLeather/CanvasBelts.htm . Obviously there seems to be a variety out there.

As noted in post #7 from the WR 2012 TG meeting minutes, the LEGALity of elastic for ammo loops was a reiteration of an RO Committee ruling that was made back in 2009 (or thereabouts) based on the fact that elastic is a "period" material (shoes, suspenders & other articles of clothing).

Those minutes were posted on the TG Wire for the Territorial Governors to pass on to their constituents.

Pale Wolf, I could not link to the rule but if its so let us know.

VS

There is no link to a written rule allowing elastic for ammo loops.

Elastic is NOT on the list(s) of OUTLAWED/ILLEGAL ITEMS (SHB/RO1) + the ROC has ruled/clarified numerous times that the use of that material IS LEGAL for ammo loops.

Most recently at the 2012 WR TG meeting (as previously noted in POST #7 of THIS THREAD)

FWIW, I got a rifle belt from C Sharps that I use for both 45-70 and 45-75. The loops are not elastic, but are a tad "stretchy."

It is a moot point now but sometimes the weave of a material can add a bit of stretch aside from the type of material itself. And you guys may not believe this but there is something out there that can only be described as a one way zipper. These amazing innovations is on ever darn bag of corn I buy! Hope to see a bunch of you guys an gals day after tomorrow but I gots to git to the polling place now!

Well, most I have seen have loops that are the same canvas color as the belt but are very stretchy, so I'd call that elastic. For example: http://texasjacks.com/GunLeather/CanvasBelts.htm . Obviously there seems to be a variety out there.

:huh: Yeah I know this topic has run its course but I had to correct myself. The loops in my canvas shotgun belt seemed stretchy inserting or removing shells, but when I just go tug on them they seem pretty stiff, so I guess they ain't elastic after all. So nevermind. :)

Most if not all of the canvas shotgun (and cartridge) belts out there have elastic loops.

I have a canvas belt that is not elastic - just all canvas

CR

Archived