SASS Wire Forum

Favorite deer gun

evil dogooder

Mr. . . . Do Good'r . . . I'm glad to see that yur feeling healthy Enuf to post on the wire. . . .

You may live . . . . ;)

Well that issue is up for debate still :) docs and I say one thing boss says the other

I have a Ruger No. 1 in .270.... skinny, whippy barrel won't group - it patterns. :(

<_<

Hardpan, have ya tried adjusting your forearm fit? First thing to do is put a rubber washer between the it and the lug. Theres plenty of info on the web that details "hanging the forend"

This year I'm taking my Grandfathers Savage 99 in 300 sav.

Now here is a man close to the heart of the matter! :wub:

Just got back from Wyoming where I shot 3 antelope...1 buck, 2 does. Great for filling the freezer. Finished up the butchering yesterday, now have steak, BBQ, burger, breakfast sausage and brats. Should last me until next season. I use a Ruger M77 in 25-06. Probably shot over 50 deer and about the same number of antelope with it. Also taken a few wild hogs too. Great gun in the perfect caliber for this size animal. When it comes to elk and larger, I break out my .300 Wby made on a custom commercial Mauser. Now thats a game getter too! :wub:

Historically, the 25-06 has been my go to rifle for 40 odd years now but I'm trying to squeeze in stuff like the 300 Sav, 35 Rem, 38-55, and the big BP single shots. Its a crying shame a man can't hardly shoot more than one rifle at a time. ;)

I have a Ruger No. 1 in .270.... skinny, whippy barrel won't group - it patterns. :(

Too durned purty to part with, though.

Hardpan, have ya tried adjusting your forearm fit? First thing to do is put a rubber washer between the it and the lug. Theres plenty of info on the web that details "hanging the forend"

I have not, Sam... may give it a try if I ever get around to it - not surprisingly, there are a few more projects ahead of that one on my "list!"

The thing is, the first shot can be accurate. If I let the rifle cool completely between shots, the group is fine. But anything faster than that and it'll "spray." The barrel is VERY light; at the muzzle, the barrel diameter is only .483, and most of that is hole. That's skinny! :huh:

I think it may have been one of a limited production run (Ruger does strange things from time to time), as it doesn't have a quarter-rib. Scope's mounted to the receiver only with a cantilevered Conetrol base and rings. Back in the early 90's Bob Posner of the old San Francisco Gun Exchange (Lordy, but I miss them! :( ) contacted Ruger for me about having a quarter-rib installed... and was told "not available for that rifle!"

But it IS still right purty....! :blush:

TC contender 12" in 45-70... yeah its kinda loud

And kicks like a friggen mule on steriods. But it will drive a 350 gr soft point end to end on a large deer. Everyone wants to shoot it but never more than once

Remington 700 Stainless Varmit Synthetic Stock with fluted 26 inch barrel. Has taken 129 deer with 130 shots (1 deer needed a second shot) with no misses! :P

Steven's Model 110E (I got it in a trade with a AMU gunsmith back in the early '90's. He'd worked his magic on it and it shows.) in .30-'06 unless I'm hunting in a pine thicket. Then it's a '94 Trapper in .45 Colt loaded with 300gr Corbons. Nothing says, 'Stay right there,' quite like that 300gr wide nose jacketed soft point doing 1400fps.

I have not, Sam... may give it a try if I ever get around to it - not surprisingly, there are a few more projects ahead of that one on my "list!"

The thing is, the first shot can be accurate. If I let the rifle cool completely between shots, the group is fine. But anything faster than that and it'll "spray." The barrel is VERY light; at the muzzle, the barrel diameter is only .483, and most of that is hole. That's skinny! :huh:

I think it may have been one of a limited production run (Ruger does strange things from time to time), as it doesn't have a quarter-rib. Scope's mounted to the receiver only with a cantilevered Conetrol base and rings. Back in the early 90's Bob Posner of the old San Francisco Gun Exchange (Lordy, but I miss them! :( ) contacted Ruger for me about having a quarter-rib installed... and was told "not available for that rifle!"

But it IS still right purty....! :blush:

No problem cause if it shoots center first shot one shots all ya need anyhow! ;)

No problem cause if it shoots center first shot one shots all ya need anyhow! ;)

That's the way I looked at it... but now that we have the dreaded "Lead-Free" requirement here it'd be a month-long process to work up a load. Soooo..... it may come out of the safe for hunting trips elsewhere.

But it's still purty~! ^_^

My .35 Remington Model 8 has been enough for deer, elk, black bear, and one pronghorn. I'm restocking it now for another 89 years (I haven't personally had it that long, The original owner bought it in 1923, Dad got it in 1943, and I bought it from him in 1973) of good hunting.

I wondered if anyone would mention this gun. Good back then; good today.

Those earlier Ruger #1's are class acts. My only example went bye via dopeheads....haven't seen nor heard of it since. :angry::o

Git a rope~!!! :angry:<_<

Archived